2022 Winter CLassic Thread

Winter Classic 'will go on as planned' with severe cold weather expected

NHL confident outdoor game between Wild, Blues will be played Saturday despite subzero temperatures

by Nicholas J. Cotsonika / NHL.com Columnist
December 28, 2021

MINNEAPOLIS -- The NHL intends to play the 2022 Discover NHL Winter Classic as scheduled, but the League is monitoring the forecast of severe cold, NHL chief content officer Steve Mayer said Tuesday.

The Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues will play at Target Field on Saturday (7 p.m. ET; TNT, SN1, TVAS, NHL LIVE). At 6:30 p.m. ET Tuesday, the forecast called for a high of minus-3 and a low of minus-15 Saturday.

"As with any outdoor game, weather is a factor," Mayer said. "We clearly recognize that when we go to any venue. And as with any game, we're monitoring the weather, and we'll make decisions that are in the interest of our players and our fans, period.

"We're getting expert opinions, but the weather is always changing too. It keeps moving. We're not going to make an educated guess. We're going to make a decision based on facts.

"As of right now, we are confident the game will go on as planned." ...

Read more at: Winter Classic 'will go on as planned'

Re: 2022 Winter CLassic Thread

BluesSK wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:26 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:09 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:35 pm... Was -36C last night with -49 wind chill. Brutal.
Conditions not fit for man nor BluesSK. ;)
I'm a total pussy about the cold now.

Leaving the country soon.
So you'll be asking T.C. for a member name change to BluesSA ... San Antonio, or South America? :idea:

Would this announcement be enough to convince @NHLTIM to make the trip?
Target Field foodservice provider Delaware North announces new menu items for 2022 Discover NHL Winter Classic®

Ballpark concessions and dining locations supplemented with comfort foods during outdoor hockey game

MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL, MN – With a sheet of ice set to temporarily cover the infield, the menus at Target Field have been reengineered to bring a little extra comfort to fans at the upcoming 2022 Discover NHL Winter Classic®.

Delaware North – which operates food, beverage and retail services at the ballpark-turned-hockey-venue – has added several new menu items for the Jan. 1, 2022, matchup between the Minnesota Wild and St. Louis Blues. Among the new or featured menu items:

Midwestern Ramen: Steamy broth, ramen noodles, soft-boiled egg, cilantro, smoked pork, green onions, bean sprouts and shredded carrots. Chili-garlic hot sauce available. Available at the concession stand near Section 120.

Booyah: Traditional Upper Midwest soup served from the kettle, featuring braised short rib, chicken thighs and root vegetables. Simmered in beef, chicken and oxtail broth, and served with crusty bread. Available at the portable outlet near Section 116.

Tater Tot Hot Dish: Classic Minnesota hot dish, featuring ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, winter vegetables and crispy tater tots. Served at all Mill City Grille locations (105, 118, 319 and Section Q).

Soup Kitchen: Scratch-made soups, including Lobster Bisque, Chicken Gumbo and Loaded Baked Potato. Served with crusty bread. Available at the portable cart near Section 129 and the North Loop Deli (Delta SKY360° Club).

Pecos River Red Chili: A staple from local restaurant partner The Loon Café featuring lean cubed sirloin steak and onions, along with Tex-Mex spices and chili peppers. Available in concession stands near Sections 105, 120, 133, 232, 237, 311 and 323 and portable outlets near sections 103 and 229. ...

Meanwhile, winter-themed specialty cocktails are among new offerings in premium areas such as the Delta SKY360° Club Bars, Townball Tavern and Hrbek’s. New cocktails include:

Salted Caramel Kahlua: Hot cocoa and Kahlua topped with mini marshmallows, salted caramel and chocolate.

Peppermint Crush: Peppermint schnapps and hot cocoa topped with whipped cream and peppermint shavings.

Bailey’s Smore: Bailey’s and coffee garnished with mini marshmallows, brownie bites and graham crumbs.

Pink Whitney and Soda: Featuring New Amsterdam’s Pink Whitney Vodka, a nod to former National Hockey League (NHL®) player Ryan Whitney. ...

Read more at: https://media.delawarenorth.com/delawar ... lassic.htm

Is this game going to be televised on a national channel that in-market people will be able to watch?

And yeah, fuck going to these massive cash grabs. I tried, really tried to go to the one here, and by the time they allowed the general public to attempt to buy tickets (after giving baseball season ticket holders preferential treatment), it was hopeless. Cheapest seat - single seat - i could find was over a grand, IIRC. So on a whim I reached out to my suite guy for the Blues to see if they had any of those, thought I’m sure I could get enough folks together for this special game. They did - there was one left, could hold up to 20 people, and minimum price was $50k. Not joking. So yeah, any non-upper class hockey fans that don’t give a fuck about baseball or know people that had baseball season tickets had no shot at going to it. Was a real bummer.

T.C. wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:32 am Is this game going to be televised on a national channel that in-market people will be able to watch?

And yeah, fuck going to these massive cash grabs. I tried, really tried to go to the one here, and by the time they allowed the general public to attempt to buy tickets (after giving baseball season ticket holders preferential treatment), it was hopeless. Cheapest seat - single seat - i could find was over a grand, IIRC. So on a whim I reached out to my suite guy for the Blues to see if they had any of those, thought I’m sure I could get enough folks together for this special game. They did - there was one left, could hold up to 20 people, and minimum price was $50k. Not joking. So yeah, any non-upper class hockey fans that don’t give a fuck about baseball or know people that had baseball season tickets had no shot at going to it. Was a real bummer.
Imagine spending $50k on a box and nobody showing up because of the bad weather....HA! Fuck'em

Also...I had a ticket to 2018 I would have sold you for $200...pretty sure I reached out too.

T.C. wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:32 am Is this game going to be televised on a national channel that in-market people will be able to watch?

Game will be on TNT.

I went to the Michigan-Michigan State game at the big house about 10 years ago when these outdoor games were still kind of fresh. We only had to pay about 20 bucks a ticket, but that's not apples to apples given lack of NHL involvement. It was fun but also wasn't that cold either.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:36 am Imagine spending $50k on a box and nobody showing up because of the bad weather....HA! Fuck'em

Also...I had a ticket to 2018 I would have sold you for $200...pretty sure I reached out too.
Yes you did, I haven’t forgotten, but my son(s) would have murdered me if I went without them. So single ticket was out.

Thanks for the info, I’d watch it on TNT - but it’s on AT NIGHT?? LOL. When has one ever been at night? It’s always been a mid-day thing and saves everyone from parade coverage. During the day, there’s no competition for family TV stuff. At night, always a fight for what to watch (not in my house, but still). Why? As if it’s not cold enough there, they’re going to put it on at night. Fucking league is clown shoes man.

T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:22 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:36 am Imagine spending $50k on a box and nobody showing up because of the bad weather....HA! Fuck'em

Yes you did, I haven’t forgotten, but my son(s) would have murdered me if I went without them. So single ticket was out.

Thanks for the info, I’d watch it on TNT - but it’s on AT NIGHT?? LOL. When has one ever been at night? It’s always been a mid-day thing and saves everyone from parade coverage. During the day, there’s no competition for family TV stuff. At night, always a fight for what to watch (not in my house, but still). Why? As if it’s not cold enough there, they’re going to put it on at night. Fucking league is clown shoes man.
I haven't heard specifically, but I'd assume they're playing it later so the sun isn't causing glare issues on the ice. That really messed things up in the Tahoe game and caused a delay mid-game. If anyone shows up in the stands I'm assuming they're White Walkers.

T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:22 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:36 am... Also...I had a ticket to 2018 I would have sold you for $200...pretty sure I reached out too.
Yes you did, I haven’t forgotten, but my son(s) would have murdered me if I went without them. So single ticket was out. ...
BUT if you had just waited until AFTER the game to tell them you were there - or even if they caught a glimpse of you on the broadcast - THEN you could've experienced your dream hockey moment BEFORE they filled you fulla lead & dumped your body in the Mississippi. Fatherhood sure has messed up your thinking, man. :ugeek:

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:16 am
T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:22 am Thanks for the info, I’d watch it on TNT - but it’s on AT NIGHT?? LOL. When has one ever been at night? It’s always been a mid-day thing and saves everyone from parade coverage. During the day, there’s no competition for family TV stuff. At night, always a fight for what to watch (not in my house, but still). Why? As if it’s not cold enough there, they’re going to put it on at night. Fucking league is clown shoes man.
I haven't heard specifically, but I'd assume they're playing it later so the sun isn't causing glare issues on the ice. That really messed things up in the Tahoe game and caused a delay mid-game. If anyone shows up in the stands I'm assuming they're White Walkers.
ah, yeah - i recall that. all the players should just wear glacier glasses, ala MacReady, and sack up.

T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:29 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:16 am
T.C. wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:22 am Thanks for the info, I’d watch it on TNT - but it’s on AT NIGHT?? LOL. When has one ever been at night? It’s always been a mid-day thing and saves everyone from parade coverage. During the day, there’s no competition for family TV stuff. At night, always a fight for what to watch (not in my house, but still). Why? As if it’s not cold enough there, they’re going to put it on at night. Fucking league is clown shoes man.
ah, yeah - i recall that. all the players should just wear glacier glasses, ala MacReady, and sack up.
That is an 11/10 idea that I support wholeheartedly.