Re: Dirty bastard...

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:40 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:07 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:15 pm

So again, it's on Kero to be aware of his surroundings but not Connolly? As I said, he made up his mind to drill Kero before the puck was even released and didn't pull up when the puck never even went to the player. Hitting a player who hasn't played the puck and isn't attempting to play a puck is a dirty hit. There's not much semantics in it.
Not what I'm saying. He's gotta look at the puck there because he had to see if he was going to be receiving the pass. If Connolly wasn't at fault why would I be ok with a suspension and match penalty? I just said it wasn't dirty, aka wasn't premeditated or an attempt to injure. I think you're probably right that he was planning on hitting him before the puck was released, but the time between when the puck was release and the hit occurred was about a quarter of a second. And again, the reason he decided to hit him was because he assumed the puck would be on Kero's stick. Kero probably assumed so too. We see that play 20 times a game. To be clear...he shouldn't have hit him! However, he had very very little time to make that call, and that's just a byproduct of the speed of today's game. He had about a tenth of a second to decide whether or not to hit him, and he chose wrong. He'll think twice about it the next time he's in that situation, and that's the exact point of supplementary discipline.
It was absolutely a premeditated attempt to injure, and if Kero had touched the puck it would have been well within the NHL's boundaries of legal hits. Players don't skate full tilt into other players and hope that they get back up... they try to knock them out of the game...like it or not, that's just the way it is... the fine line between legal and dirty, is a split-second touch of the puck. These guys are the best players in the world... they make millions because they can do things in a split second... Connolly didn't let up on a guy who hadn't touched the puck (despite what the idiot announcer said), he skated through him knowing he hadn't touched the puck, and he's a dirty bastard for doing that.
Watch the replay at 1:05ish on the original post. He literally takes 0 strides. He's going the opposite direction and turns back toward Kero when he sees the puck may be going to him.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:40 pm I'm not sure what he was doing if he wasn't attempting to lay an unsuspecting player out.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 5.39.17 PM.png
I mean...he's doing everything else I said in my post? Haha. But to elaborate or reiterate:

1. You're allowed to hit an unsuspecting player. You're just not allowed to hit him in the head.
2. As mentioned, he obviously though the puck was going to be passed to Kero instead of sent hard off the glass. He was attempting to forecheck. The puck got from the D-man's stick to where it is in your still shot in a fraction of a second. You really have to watch this thing at full speed. I'm sure you have, but to me that is far more informative than a screencap.
3. It was a bad hit! He made the wrong choice! He deserved the suspension!
4. As I stated though, when the game is played by guys this big and this fast, you're going to see hits like this that have bad results without it coming from a place of ill intent. Connolly has a career high of 48 PIMs and his last full season he finished 14th on his team in hits, so it's not like he's always out there running around looking to send somebody to the hospital.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:19 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:40 pm I'm not sure what he was doing if he wasn't attempting to lay an unsuspecting player out.

I mean...he's doing everything else I said in my post? Haha. But to elaborate or reiterate:

1. You're allowed to hit an unsuspecting player. You're just not allowed to hit him in the head.
2. As mentioned, he obviously though the puck was going to be passed to Kero instead of sent hard off the glass. He was attempting to forecheck. The puck got from the D-man's stick to where it is in your still shot in a fraction of a second. You really have to watch this thing at full speed. I'm sure you have, but to me that is far more informative than a screencap.
4. As I stated though, when the game is played by guys this big and this fast, you're going to see hits like this that have bad results without it coming from a place of ill intent. Connolly has a career high of 48 PIMs and his last full season he finished 14th on his team in hits, so it's not like he's always out there running around looking to send somebody to the hospital.
This guy gets it.

I and several blues fans watched this hit unknowing why it was a penatly/suspension...until the other replay showed the puck was no where near kero. It all looked legit until it was interference.

I agree with the call and the suspension and believe it should be left at that.
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

1. Not if he doesnt have the puck nor attempting to play the puck.
2. Calling it an attempt to forecheck seems to be downplaying what it actually was. It was pretty clear his intent was to make a big blindside open ice hit. I don't think he wanted the guy stretchered off but he definitely wasn't just going in trying to simply forecheck.
3. We agree. Terrible hit, suspension warranted because it was a dirty and illegal hit.
4. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I don't believe it has been claimed Connolly is a career dirty player or has a long history of this.

Either way, I've enjoyed the back and forth. Have a great Christmas to all.
Just a Russian propaganda account

There was no attempt to injure, Connolly isn’t that type of player.
As for the hit, Dave explained it poetically.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:28 am

2. Calling it an attempt to forecheck seems to be downplaying what it actually was. It was pretty clear his intent was to make a big blindside open ice hit. I don't think he wanted the guy stretchered off but he definitely wasn't just going in trying to simply forecheck.
3. We agree. Terrible hit, suspension warranted because it was a dirty and illegal hit.
4. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I don't believe it has been claimed Connolly is a career dirty player or has a long history of this.

No, we need to argue about this for another week or so since there's no hockey left to watch! :lol:

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:37 am Jeffrey Dahmer wasn't a cannibal....he met thousands of people in his lifetime...and he only ate 17 of them.
17 that we know of. I’m sure there were more
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:51 am

No, we need to argue about this for another week or so since there's no hockey left to watch! :lol:
At least until Boxing Day.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:40 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:28 amEither way, I've enjoyed the back and forth. Have a great Christmas to all.
That's called "MMA Day" in the Good Ol' U.S. of A. When Gramma kicks the shit outta Gramps for buying her another :!: Christmas apron.

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:07 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:40 am
That's called "MMA Day" in the Good Ol' U.S. of A. When Gramma kicks the shit outta Gramps for buying her another :!: Christmas apron.
I'll be right back... I gotta go mail a Christmas apron to JMC's house.

I already claimed victory haha
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:18 pm

I already claimed victory haha
Just the latest in your string of incorrect assertions on this thread 8-)