Re: GDT: Game 4 Blues vs Avalanche- 3:00 NBCSN

Hey, i finally got to watch a game. It was very obvious almost immediately that the Blues were very outmatched. They looked like the Washington Generals to the Avs’ Globetrotters. I for one am thankful that they mercy-killed the Blues, putting an end to whatever the fuck has been going on with this team the last two “seasons”. I saw a team that, to a man, was completely unwilling to play the body in a fucking playoff elimination game. That kind of team has no business playing hockey. I sure hope Army fixes whatever the fuck their problem is, because that was just embarrassing and depressing.

T.C. wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:05 pm Hey, i finally got to watch a game. It was very obvious almost immediately that the Blues were very outmatched. They looked like the Washington Generals to the Avs’ Globetrotters. I for one am thankful that they mercy-killed the Blues, putting an end to whatever the fuck has been going on with this team the last two “seasons”. I saw a team that, to a man, was completely unwilling to play the body in a fucking playoff elimination game. That kind of team has no business playing hockey. I sure hope Army fixes whatever the fuck their problem is, because that was just embarrassing and depressing.
Is it the coaching? There seems to be some kind of disconnect. There are some players on this team, top players who had no interest in playing hockey but they still cashed paychecks.

BluesSK wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:48 pm
T.C. wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:05 pm Hey, i finally got to watch a game. It was very obvious almost immediately that the Blues were very outmatched. They looked like the Washington Generals to the Avs’ Globetrotters. I for one am thankful that they mercy-killed the Blues, putting an end to whatever the fuck has been going on with this team the last two “seasons”. I saw a team that, to a man, was completely unwilling to play the body in a fucking playoff elimination game. That kind of team has no business playing hockey. I sure hope Army fixes whatever the fuck their problem is, because that was just embarrassing and depressing.
Is it the coaching? There seems to be some kind of disconnect. There are some players on this team, top players who had no interest in playing hockey but they still cashed paychecks.
I think it's a number of things, but definitely includes a mismatch of personnel to coaching style. It was a weird season. The roster needs some refining, but we should all remember that when there's a disconnect like that, it's a lot easier the replace the coach than a bunch of players. I certainly don't think Berube should or deserves to be canned, but it's going to become an issue if the team gets off to a bad start next year. It might be a busy ass summer for Armstrong.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Yes, defense was a problem. But I also saw five guys on the ice every shift who were looking for a stick check against a team that was way faster than them, chasing all over the ice. That’s not how you hockey.

And yeah, I know re: coaching. I was thinking it as I was typing that. And that’s really going to piss me off. I like Berube. I like the style he likes to play. Just surround him with a team that will play that style and we will win again. But I am aware of the realities of “making a change” on a hockey team of 20+ players vs. one coach.

T.C. wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:37 am Yes, defense was a problem. But I also saw five guys on the ice every shift who were looking for a stick check against a team that was way faster than them, chasing all over the ice. That’s not how you hockey.

And yeah, I know re: coaching. I was thinking it as I was typing that. And that’s really going to piss me off. I like Berube. I like the style he likes to play. Just surround him with a team that will play that style and we will win again. But I am aware of the realities of “making a change” on a hockey team of 20+ players vs. one coach.
I think a lot of them not hitting was more like...they couldn't keep up with the Avalanche. I think a lot of people have trouble admitting they got beat by a better team, but that is what happened here...it wasn't effort...it wasn't bad coaching...the Avalanche are a better team with more speed and chemistry than the current Blues roster. The only reason the Blues didn't lose in less than four games was because of Binnington and to a lesser extent O'Reilly

It was simply a mismatch. You can't match up against the offensive talent of the Avs, when half of your starting dman corps is not playing. Time after time, the Avs forwards were parked in the crease while the nearest dman was 15 feet away. I hope Chief stays. His style of hockey, should be Blues hockey, and should be reflected in our scouting, and minor leagues, so we have players that fit our game. Army has work to do.
Tarasenko - Needs to go. His flashes of skill and effort, just dont cut it anymore. Thomas? I'm really wondering if, despite his skill, can he succeed in playoff hockey?
The replacements for important players, just couldn't get the job done.
The downside of finally winnng the Cup - - Nothing less will ever be good enough.

barnburner wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:08 am It was simply a mismatch. You can't match up against the offensive talent of the Avs, when half of your starting dman corps is not playing. Time after time, the Avs forwards were parked in the crease while the nearest dman was 15 feet away. I hope Chief stays. His style of hockey, should be Blues hockey, and should be reflected in our scouting, and minor leagues, so we have players that fit our game. Army has work to do.
Tarasenko - Needs to go. His flashes of skill and effort, just dont cut it anymore. Thomas? I'm really wondering if, despite his skill, can he succeed in playoff hockey?
The downside of finally winnng the Cup - - Nothing less will ever be good enough.
I think Berube is definitely safe for another year. I don't like using injuries as an excuse, but I think it's clear the front office is aware he wasn't dealing with a full deck most of the season. The only think I didn't like out of Berube this year was the public whining about the officiating during the playoffs. The refs were not great, but compare that with how he handled the hand pass against San Jose.

There are going to be some familar faces playing elsewhere next summer. I can go either way on Tarasenko. His inconsistency and propensity for injury are frustrating, but when he's on he is one of the few guys on the roster that can give you easy goals, as seen yesterday. He's also got that big cap hit, which if gone, frees up a lot of options. Hoffman is toast. He gives you easy goals like Tarasenko, but never gives you the effort which Tarasenko does at times. He's also a turnover machine. I was never comfortable when the puck was on his stick unless he was shooting it. The guy I wonder about most is Schwartz. He's a really good hockey player that does all the right things, but is his age curve going to lineup with his contract? I think we may have already seen his best hockey. In 2019 and in 2020 before the bubble, this team was dominant in terms of possession at 5 on 5. This year they got their assess handed to them all year long. I don't know what the fix is, but Armstrong is going to have to get his scapel out this summer. Question is if he's going to have to do a quick outpatient procedure, or a major organ transplant.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:32 am
barnburner wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:08 am It was simply a mismatch. You can't match up against the offensive talent of the Avs, when half of your starting dman corps is not playing. Time after time, the Avs forwards were parked in the crease while the nearest dman was 15 feet away. I hope Chief stays. His style of hockey, should be Blues hockey, and should be reflected in our scouting, and minor leagues, so we have players that fit our game. Army has work to do.
I think Berube is definitely safe for another year. I don't like using injuries as an excuse, but I think it's clear the front office is aware he wasn't dealing with a full deck most of the season. The only think I didn't like out of Berube this year was the public whining about the officiating during the playoffs. The refs were not great, but compare that with how he handled the hand pass against San Jose.
Point taken. Just my opinion, but I think Chief had two different reasons for his reaction to the refs.
Against San Jose, he had confidence that if they didn't lose focus, they could win.
Against Colorado, he knew better than us, that this team was outgunned. I suspect he was making a desperate try to squeeze out a couple of extra calls in the Blues favor, and grab momentum. Not much chance of it making a real difference, but without an unexpected break or two, the fat lady was warmng up.

I always hesitate to over-react to how good a job a coach does after taking over a team mid-season. We see it repeatedly of the new coach boost. The Blues boost was more than most though. Since then he's coached two covid seasons, no fans, division shake ups, players missing time etc. I don't think he's on the hot seat. Now, if next season goes off the rails, let's get his ass.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Army forced to make some major changes could be a good thing and could boost this team back as a top contender. Not only is re-inventing the D a major issue, but we need a boost offensively. Losing Hoffman won't help. Chances are though Army will bank on more production next year from the guys he has. Kostin playing next year is exactly the kind of guy we need though. A big physical guy who hits and knows how to score. I hope he has a great year and can move his way up to top 9.

BillP. wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:35 am Army forced to make some major changes could be a good thing and could boost this team back as a top contender. Not only is re-inventing the D a major issue, but we need a boost offensively. Losing Hoffman won't help. Chances are though Army will bank on more production next year from the guys he has. Kostin playing next year is exactly the kind of guy we need though. A big physical guy who hits and knows how to score. I hope he has a great year and can move his way up to top 9.
It's going to be a tough task with the limited cap space and the long term contracts already on the blue line.
Just a Russian propaganda account

The playoff version of Mike Hoffman was miles ahead of the playoff version of Tarasenko.

Losing Hoffman is going to hurt this team more than losing Tarasenko imho unless Tarasenko returns back to form from 2 yrs ago.

Schwartz has not done himself any favors of asking for more money so I say he signs here cheaper and longer he goes the way of backes
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:25 pm The playoff version of Mike Hoffman was miles ahead of the playoff version of Tarasenko.

Losing Hoffman is going to hurt this team more than losing Tarasenko imho unless Tarasenko returns back to form from 2 yrs ago.

Schwartz has not done himself any favors of asking for more money so I say he signs here cheaper and longer he goes the way of backes
There wasn't much Schwizzle left in Schwartz this season....he might want to rethink his role.

The Stanley Cup equity that some of these guys had earned is gone. Army has to think in normal terms again, which is a good thing. As of today, he’s just building next years team, free of the burden of the S.C. love affair.... clean slate. Very few on this team have earned the right to claim ownership of their spots on next year’s team. Some old friends should be next year’s enemies. Do what you have to do, Army.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:53 pm The Stanley Cup equity that some of these guys had earned is gone. Army has to think in normal terms again, which is a good thing. As of today, he’s just building next years team, free of the burden of the S.C. love affair.... clean slate. Very few on this team have earned the right to claim ownership of their spots on next year’s team. Some old friends should be next year’s enemies. Do what you have to do, Army.
What he said!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:32 am
I'm not really sure what to think about Chief. There have definitely been a lot of crazy issues that he has had to deal with that have never really come up, so I hate to judge him too much on the last two years, but...next year is his walk year. I think it is make or break and I don't think it would be wise to extend him over this offseason. See where the team is mid season and extend if that looks like the way to go. If we get off to a horrible start next year, that gives us the opportunity to "shake up the team" with a coaching change.

Personally, I think both personnel and coaching may be a problem. I have seen Chief get outcoached many times this year, or at least that is what it looked like. Either way, too many times, what he was trying to to just wasn't working. Roster changes need to happen this year and then we'll see how next year goes.