Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

JMC-STL wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:12 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:10 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:52 amBlues prospect

Not to jinx young Mr. Ellis or nothin', but none of the next four QMJHL goaltenders on the League's list of career shutout leaders ever made it to the NHL. That's as far as I decided to research, but the data are there to pursue at one's leisure.
If you ain't trying to jinx the poor bastard, why have you repeated that line three times?

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:36 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:16 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:38 am
Top 9 kind of approximates what many would've drawn up on opening night if everyone were healthy.
Nice to see Parayko progress to "extra"
For sure, though one of the writers posted a video and he still looked pretty Frankenstein-y out there to me.
Well, we want him to put fear into the opposition so maybe that's a good thing.

Jamie Rivers today said Kyle Clifford is supposed to be fighting people and the fact that schenn, sanford, and de la Rose have had to do that is not why we signed clifford...also said he is shying away from the physicality

Our Defense is 3 big guys (scandella, bortz, mikkola) but they arent clearing the crease and are constantly trying to tie the guy up and not make someone's life hell
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 pm Jamie Rivers today said Kyle Clifford is supposed to be fighting people and the fact that schenn, sanford, and de la Rose have had to do that is not why we signed clifford...also said he is shying away from the physicality ...
Rivers is just angling for a PTO from the Blues by raising questions about Clifford's value to the team. Classic unresolved issues of hockey career inadequacy. :idea:

Top 9 kind of approximates what many would've drawn up on opening night if everyone were healthy.
For sure, though one of the writers posted a video and he still looked pretty Frankenstein-y out there to me.
I don't like where this is heading with Parayko. He's too young to be in that rough of shape with his back.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:40 pm

I don't like where this is heading with Parayko. He's too young to be in that rough of shape with his back.
Being back on the ice is a good sign the pain is subsiding.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 pm Jamie Rivers today said Kyle Clifford is supposed to be fighting people and the fact that schenn, sanford, and de la Rose have had to do that is not why we signed clifford...also said he is shying away from the physicality

Our Defense is 3 big guys (scandella, bortz, mikkola) but they arent clearing the crease and are constantly trying to tie the guy up and not make someone's life hell
The Clifford point is nonsense, but the point about the D is significant. Clifford has been better than I expected. Schenn's fight was meaningful only because it was Schenn doing it right off the hop on the first game after Plager died, Sanford's was an orgainic fight in the moment, and DLR was jumped in retrobution for what the Ducks (incorrectly) perceived to be a dirty hit.

The D is a problem. Those 3 haven't gotten a ton of scrutiny since they're not the big names on D, but I you'd hope to see them elevate their game as the pairings have been necessarily shuffled around with injuries. Scandella I think has been ok, but nowhere near where he was with a healthy Parayko. Bortuzzo meanwhile just doesn't have another level to his game anymore. Good guy in the room, but there's a reason he hasn't hit 15 minutes of ice time in a few weeks. Mikkola can't get in the lineup at all. That's disappointing given that he's kind of the exact style of player the Blues could use right now, but he looked pretty shaky to me when he was getting some regular playing time earlier in the year. You could argue that him being benched has more to do with Walman than it does Mikkola, but I don't know that the Blues would be keeping the big guy in the press box if they trusted him to kill a penalty. Regardless of what happens the rest of the way, I think there's a makeover coming to the back end this offseason.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:10 pm Jamie Rivers today said Kyle Clifford is supposed to be fighting people and the fact that schenn, sanford, and de la Rose have had to do that is not why we signed clifford...also said he is shying away from the physicality

I haven't loved Clifford's play, but he hasn't exactly been shying away from contact like Rivers claims. He's 3rd for Blues forwards in hits behind Schenn and Blais.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Some good points have been raised but I think the problem is with exiting the Blues zone, always an extra pass to noone in particular that leads to a scoring opportunity. JBO is missed. Walman is fun to watch in that aspect of the game, he needs more ice time. Somebody posted earlier that we lack sandpaper and I agree whole heartedly, Edmundson is missed in that department. Pietrangelo is a big fail in my eyes, should have found away to keep him. But like DPW says it feels right.

I hope they don't bring him back till he's 100%. If that means sitting him out for the rest of the year, so be it.

barnburner wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:17 pm

I hope they don't bring him back till he's 100%. If that means sitting him out for the rest of the year, so be it.
If surgery is required, get it done soon... he can't help this group.