Re: 2021 St. Louis Blues Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:08 am I was looking at Jordan Binnington stats and I'm not sure if it means anything but the one thing that jumped out is, the longer between his starts, the worse he gets. Maybe he just constantly needs to stay engaged?

1 day rest 6-2 2.10 .932
2 day rest 3-3 3.22 .893
3+ days 4-6 3.35 .896
That's a possible theory. I wonder if the explanation for that is, early in the year they didn't trust Husso yet since he was...subpar last year. So almost by default Binnington was being run out there every other night. Then injuries, covid etc made it necessary for Husso to get some run, and Binner wasn't as sharp upon his return. Does that early season stretch when he was really sharp make up a lot of that 1 Day Rest numbers? I don't know, just peering into those numbers without actually doing any research myself, haha.

With Binnington my prevailing theory is that he's just at heart streaky as hell, but nets out to a roughly average goalie over the course of the year most of the time. Hopefully that means he's going to hit one of those hot streaks to bring this season back to average sometime soon.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:44 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:08 am I was looking at Jordan Binnington stats and I'm not sure if it means anything but the one thing that jumped out is, the longer between his starts, the worse he gets. Maybe he just constantly needs to stay engaged?

1 day rest 6-2 2.10 .932
2 day rest 3-3 3.22 .893
3+ days 4-6 3.35 .896
That's a possible theory. I wonder if the explanation for that is, early in the year they didn't trust Husso yet since he was...subpar last year. So almost by default Binnington was being run out there every other night. Then injuries, covid etc made it necessary for Husso to get some run, and Binner wasn't as sharp upon his return. Does that early season stretch when he was really sharp make up a lot of that 1 Day Rest numbers? I don't know, just peering into those numbers without actually doing any research myself, haha.

With Binnington my prevailing theory is that he's just at heart streaky as hell, but nets out to a roughly average goalie over the course of the year most of the time. Hopefully that means he's going to hit one of those hot streaks to bring this season back to average sometime soon.
A few of the games were in November when he was at his best.

However, in looking at the stretch below when he was dreadful, his only two good games(Jets/Vegas) and wins during that stretch came on 1 day rest. I don't know if I have a specific point, but more of a hope that when the playoffs roll around and games tend to happen every other day, maybe he'll be at his best.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:55 am

1 day rest 6-2 2.10 .932
2 day rest 3-3 3.22 .893
3+ days 4-6 3.35 .896

A few of the games were in November when he was at his best.

However, in looking at the stretch below when he was dreadful, his only two good games(Jets/Vegas) and wins during that stretch came on 1 day rest. I don't know if I have a specific point, but more of a hope that when the playoffs roll around and games tend to happen every other day, maybe he'll be at his best.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.53.05 AM.png
Certainly. At some point he's going to have to start stopping more pucks. Whether it's this year or next is a big question.

1 day rest 6-2 2.10 .932
2 day rest 3-3 3.22 .893
3+ days 4-6 3.35 .896

It's hard to confirm a correlation on a relatively small sample size, but it could work the other way i.e. when he's playing better, he's given more starts consecutively. So hard to tell with goalies.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:51 am
BillP. wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:42 am POSTED 2/10/22
Faulk is a plus 30 and Krug is a plus 21. Just saw that and that's impressive. Parayko minus 13. Head scratcher......................
Ever since I posted that, Parayko has been on a roll. He's a plus 3 now - Ha
Bill I swear to God if this post reverses that.....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn’t think about that.

Well, let’s roll the dice and see……….

Heard between periods Josh Manson would be a good pickup, a guy that clears the crease. We could use that but he’s got a 4.1M cap hit.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:37 pm So Rutherford has been banging the drum for Carson Soucy of the Kraken as a pickup on defense.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
I don't know, he only plays 17 minutes a night on one of the worst teams in the league. Don't think he solves the Parayko partner problem. Other than being tall and lefthanded I don't think he's a fit.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:50 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:37 pm So Rutherford has been banging the drum for Carson Soucy of the Kraken as a pickup on defense.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
I don't know, he only plays 17 minutes a night on one of the worst teams in the league. Don't think he solves the Parayko partner problem. Other than being tall and lefthanded I don't think he's a fit.
But those two qualities alone could breathe some life into the Blues post-game outings. Might be just the antidote they need.

So the trade deadline is a week from today. The Blues just lost a game in no small part thanks to a brutal turnover from the defenseman us fans have been trying to replace all year. The Blues don't play another game until Thursday. Nobody seems to want to set the market for defensemen this year, but if you wanted to get a new defenseman a practice or two to get his feet wet in a new system....

BillP. wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:22 amNathan Walker called up for emergency.

Walker made his Stanley Cup Playoff debut in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Second Round against the Pittsburgh Penguins and had an assist, becoming the first Australian to play in and have a point in an NHL playoff game.
Rumor has it he was also the first (and hopefully last) NHL player to wear one of these instead of a helmet ...

He could turn into a solid find in the 5th round after having a couple of strong post draft seasons. Don't know about the other prospects, but Kessel's and Neighbours development have the 2020 draft class looking pretty strong.