Re: 2020 NHL Draft Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:31 pm
Robb_K wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:29 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:14 pm I like it. Guys that can skate and play physical are right up Berube's ally. Definitely will fit in whenever he arrives
Neighbours has got to improve his skating to be a quality forward in The NHL. If he improves it as much as Backes did this will have been a good pick. If he doesn't improve it much, this pick will become a mistake.
His skating is not poor. The difference between him progressing as a skater is the difference between him being a 3rd liner or a top 6 guy. Not a good pick vs a mistake. It's not seen as a liability.

Good to see you around though! Hope all is well friend.
The differences between our comments is only semantics. I agree that his is skating is not a liability. But the difference between where he is now and improving his overall speed is the difference between 2nd and 3rd line, and scoring regularly at a higher pace. As The Blues' only 1st Round pick, it could have been used better if he only becomes a 3rd Liner at his peak. IF he improves his skating a notch, he becomes a regular 2nd Liner and likely a higher-level scorer, and then, in combination with his physical play, he is a VERY effective player, who might have been worthy of a 13-19 pick. His skating level is why he was rated near #48, expected to go on Day 2. The Blues like his physical play, and are betting that he'll improve his skating. He does have a good shot, which he should use more in close. He's only 18, and has time to work on his game. He seems to have good hockey IQ, too. Not a bad pick.

From The Athletic's other prospect expert, Scott Wheeler:
22. St. Louis Blues

Pick: 26. Jake Neighbours
My ranking: No. 51 (change: +25)

I like the way Jake Neighbours plays. He can do a little bit of everything. He comes at you in waves in an effort to push pace, attack, and win races. He’s physical off the puck. There’s just a versatility to his game that’s easy to appreciate and convinced many scouts that he didn’t have the top-six or bust that some first rounders often do. I settled a little lower on him than most, though, largely because I worry that his above-average skill across the board may not be enough to slot him in the top of your lineup. He could end up as a fan-favourite third-line contributor. And while that would be a good outcome for a 26th-overall selection, there were higher-skill players available. Several of them.
He had the Blues listed in his day 1 losers category, ranked 22 out of 25 teams that had a pick last night. I guess we'll all find out in a few years.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:09 am From The Athletic's other prospect expert, Scott Wheeler:
22. St. Louis Blues

Pick: 26. Jake Neighbours
My ranking: No. 51 (change: +25)

I like the way Jake Neighbours plays. He can do a little bit of everything. He comes at you in waves in an effort to push pace, attack, and win races. He’s physical off the puck. There’s just a versatility to his game that’s easy to appreciate and convinced many scouts that he didn’t have the top-six or bust that some first rounders often do. I settled a little lower on him than most, though, largely because I worry that his above-average skill across the board may not be enough to slot him in the top of your lineup. He could end up as a fan-favourite third-line contributor. And while that would be a good outcome for a 26th-overall selection, there were higher-skill players available. Several of them.
He had the Blues listed in his day 1 losers category, ranked 22 out of 25 teams that had a pick last night. I guess we'll all find out in a few years.
CANCELLING MY SUBSCRIPTION!
Just a Russian propaganda account

BluesSK wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:02 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:43 am At least we did better than old friend Jarmo:
Ever since he reached for TJ Oshie and looked like a genius he's been chasing that high ever since
He sucks. Was so relieved when he left.
Oh I don't know that he sucks, but he seems to be a big hit or miss kind of guy. You've got the great picks relative to value in Oshie, Tarasenko, Perron and Bishop among others, then high picks that he didn't bungle like Petro (in a minefield of lesser high rated D), Schwartz etc, then you've got some high value whiffs like EJ, Rundblad, Phil McRae etc. I wasn't sure when he took over in STL, so I only went back to 05. In Columbus its more of the same. Home Run picks like Dubois and Werenski, among some less inspired picks in the early rounds. He looks like an idiot or a genius with very little in between it would seem.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:47 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:02 am

Ever since he reached for TJ Oshie and looked like a genius he's been chasing that high ever since
He sucks. Was so relieved when he left.
Oh I don't know that he sucks, but he seems to be a big hit or miss kind of guy. You've got the great picks relative to value in Oshie, Tarasenko, Perron and Bishop among others, then high picks that he didn't bungle like Petro (in a minefield of lesser high rated D), Schwartz etc, then you've got some high value whiffs like EJ, Rundblad, Phil McRae etc. I wasn't sure when he took over in STL, so I only went back to 05. In Columbus its more of the same. Home Run picks like Dubois and Werenski, among some less inspired picks in the early rounds. He looks like an idiot or a genius with very little in between it would seem.
His first draft with the Blues was in 2003 and his last draft was the Schwartz Tarasenko year which I don't give him full credit for because he had one foot out the door and Bill Armstrong and crew were here taking over.

He had a few hits but his misses particularly in the second round included some spectacular flops. I really don't think it was good enough.

He looked good when he first came because our scouting and drafting prior to that was non existent.

BillP. wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:57 am Local boy on the move:
I don't get it. Kunin is still a prospect type and he was a high pick. Guerin is going to tear that thing apart and there is no guarantee you can build a contender from that. Whatever................
They've been stuck in the middle basically since their inception. If they're planning on tearing it down that'd be a welcome change in direction. The odd thing is that he's giving up assets to get older, which isn't how you rebuild. On the other hand, replacing Dubnyk will almost assuredly result in a major positive impact. Not sure what he's doing at all, but again, I like what he's doing because it's more entertaining for me.

Scott Wheeler, The Athletic

Dylan Peterson — C, NTDP, 6-foot-4.25
I feel like I’ve been hearing Peterson’s name forever at this point. He made waves in eastern Ontario in minor hockey and his blend of size, powerful straight-line speed and lighter than you’d expect hands make for an exciting package. As viewers, it can be easy to look at his height and weight and expect him to be a dominant physical player who gets to the net to score goals. But while he’s not shy to do either of those things, Peterson is a decent passer too, a quality of his game that I came to admire in a recent review of last year’s tape. He needs to show he can produce more, though, or he’s going to end up typecast as a fourth-line player.

Leo Loof:

He was among the best players for Farjestad when they reached the J18 Finals in 2019 and was selected as the league's best defenseman. Lööf is a technically refined stickhandler, with poise and a sound mechanical base. He's tough as nails along the boards and in front of his own net, dominating his opponents with strong reads and heavy hits. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

I really like what the Blues are doing. They lost their lead draft guy weeks before the draft so this isn't the year I want them to go swinging for the fences on boom or bust guys. Get someone in place for next year and go for that then if you want. I like they are taking guys who just straight up fit their system and style of play. Call him safe picks, whatever.