Re: 2020 NHL Draft Thread

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 pm Scott Wheeler, The Athletic

Dylan Peterson — C, NTDP, 6-foot-4.25
I feel like I’ve been hearing Peterson’s name forever at this point. He made waves in eastern Ontario in minor hockey and his blend of size, powerful straight-line speed and lighter than you’d expect hands make for an exciting package. As viewers, it can be easy to look at his height and weight and expect him to be a dominant physical player who gets to the net to score goals. But while he’s not shy to do either of those things, Peterson is a decent passer too, a quality of his game that I came to admire in a recent review of last year’s tape. He needs to show he can produce more, though, or he’s going to end up typecast as a fourth-line player.
Just for fun, I think I would have taken both Loof brothers with those picks instead of drafting Tage 2.0.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:18 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:05 pm Scott Wheeler, The Athletic

Dylan Peterson — C, NTDP, 6-foot-4.25
I feel like I’ve been hearing Peterson’s name forever at this point. He made waves in eastern Ontario in minor hockey and his blend of size, powerful straight-line speed and lighter than you’d expect hands make for an exciting package. As viewers, it can be easy to look at his height and weight and expect him to be a dominant physical player who gets to the net to score goals. But while he’s not shy to do either of those things, Peterson is a decent passer too, a quality of his game that I came to admire in a recent review of last year’s tape. He needs to show he can produce more, though, or he’s going to end up typecast as a fourth-line player.
Just for fun, I think I would have taken both Loof brothers with those picks instead of drafting Tage 2.0.
If he lands us a Conn Smythe winner that is a great pick!
Just a Russian propaganda account

Robb_K wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:13 pm Excellent pick at 88! Lööf is tall (6:02) and light at 176 lb. But has lots of room to fill out. He's an excellent skater and moves the puck up ice very well. He's got great hockey sense. He's an excellent passer, and plays well in all 3 zones.
Big bodies up front, smooth skaters in back. 2020 hockey is a lot different from 1990 hockey.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Pronman is an asshole

St. Louis Blues: C-
I typically have liked how the Blues have drafted, but this class underwhelms me a bit. I like Jake Neighbours, but after that I don’t see a ton to get excited about. Dylan Peterson is an NHL prospect and scouts think he could be a fourth-line forward. Leo Loof at 88 was high for me. Coming into the season he was in that discussion for sure and he has talent, but I didn’t think his 2020 season justified that pick.

https://theathletic.com/2123354/2020/10 ... -31-teams/

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:29 am Pronman is an asshole

I typically have liked how the Blues have drafted, but this class underwhelms me a bit. I like Jake Neighbours, but after that I don’t see a ton to get excited about. Dylan Peterson is an NHL prospect and scouts think he could be a fourth-line forward. Leo Loof at 88 was high for me. Coming into the season he was in that discussion for sure and he has talent, but I didn’t think his 2020 season justified that pick.

Look at Smarty McGoodGrades Wes shitting on a C-!

It's all somewhat of a guessing game after the first round anyway. I can now officially take off my fake prospect knower hat and put it back on to comment on their stat lines in 6 months or whenever they've actually played some hockey again.

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:49 am

It's all somewhat of a guessing game after the first round anyway. I can now officially take off my fake prospect knower hat and put it back on to comment on their stat lines in 6 months or whenever they've actually played some hockey again.
I'm going to need that nickname to not stick please.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:53 am

Boomer was ripping on Pronman during his show on NHL radio, something about Pronman tweeting out the draft picks a minute or so before they were announced officially. Said Pronman must have an inside person at the league giving him info...or maybe he is just Batman? Personally, I think most of these assholes are just there to boost their followers and subscribers to their click bait, but whatever works to make you that $$$.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:57 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:53 am

Boomer was ripping on Pronman during his show on NHL radio, something about Pronman tweeting out the draft picks a minute or so before they were announced officially. Said Pronman must have an inside person at the league giving him info...or maybe he is just Batman? Personally, I think most of these assholes are just there to boost their followers and subscribers to their click bait, but whatever works to make you that $$$.
Haha, what's the insult in him having good sources? I don't know how accurate Pronman is, but I like him because he has a piece every year that he goes back and looks at previous drafts and talks about all the guys he missed on one way or the other. Most prospect guys I see don't seem to have that same sense of fair self-evaluation. Also the amount of content he produces in the lead-up to the draft is nuts in a normal year.

JMC-STL wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:00 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:24 amIt's that day we look forward to every off-season. You know, October 9th...the annual start of free agency.
It's also World Post Day *AND* Leif Erikson Day. Plenty of reasons to celebrate this glorious Friday.

ETA: Or for this bunch ... it's International Beer and Pizza Day!
Well if I have to!

I'm starting to think his grade was generous.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:13 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:26 am Anyone got Pronman's rankings for the Blues post-draft? I'd imagine pretty low since he wasn't high on the team before the draft or the draft picks.
22 overall. That includes Neighbours ranked 7th in the organization, 1 below McGing.
Could you be kind enough to post the Blues portion only?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:26 am Anyone got Pronman's rankings for the Blues post-draft? I'd imagine pretty low since he wasn't high on the team before the draft or the draft picks.
22 overall. That includes Neighbours ranked 7th in the organization, 1 below McGing.
Here's his ranking of our players under 23:
1. Robert Thomas, C
2. Jordan Kyrou, RW
3. Scott Perunovich, D
4. Klim Kostin, RW
5. Joel Hofer, G
6. Hugh McGing, C
7. Jake Neighbours, LW
8. Niko Mikkola, D
9. Nikita Alexandrov, C

I'll paraphrase the rest: Thomas is good, and they've done ok for not having a lot of first round picks over the years.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:14 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:26 am

Here's his ranking of our players under 23:
1. Robert Thomas, C
2. Jordan Kyrou, RW
3. Scott Perunovich, D
4. Klim Kostin, RW
5. Joel Hofer, G
6. Hugh McGing, C
7. Jake Neighbours, LW
8. Niko Mikkola, D
9. Nikita Alexandrov, C

I'll paraphrase the rest: Thomas is good, and they've done ok for not having a lot of first round picks over the years.
Jordan Kyrou has been on this list for 10 years now and you can't convince me otherwise