Re: NHL Offseason Trades and Signings

So Vegas has been the best team in the West to me over the last two years. The big fear is that getting Petro will put them over the top during a window which overlaps with the Blues. But how much do they really improve if they have to strip that core to fit him in? They'll surely get rid of Fleury, but it's going to cost them a lot to do so. How much current NHL talent will they have to tack on to it? How much draft capital can they stomach losing to make that $7M go away? And what if Petro and his wife didn't like what they saw on that visit over the weekend? Interesting times in the desert.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:48 am
So Vegas has been the best team in the West to me over the last two years. The big fear is that getting Petro will put them over the top during a window which overlaps with the Blues. But how much do they really improve if they have to strip that core to fit him in? They'll surely get rid of Fleury, but it's going to cost them a lot to do so. How much current NHL talent will they have to tack on to it? How much draft capital can they stomach losing to make that $7M go away? And what if Petro and his wife didn't like what they saw on that visit over the weekend? Interesting times in the desert.
Safe to say Petro is going to have a lot of pressure on him.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:58 am
For sure. The odd thing is their big problem in my eyes was a lack of high end finishers up front. Petro solves a problem they didn't have.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:04 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:58 am
For sure. The odd thing is their big problem in my eyes was a lack of high end finishers up front. Petro solves a problem they didn't have.
I agree to an extent but their lack of RH D-men is well established. People believed they were too easy to forecheck in their own zone because of all the off handed d-men they had. They only had one and he was a 3rd pairing guy.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:57 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:22 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:42 pm I don't see how any player trying to prove their worth on a one year contract would sign with a cellar dweller rather than with a contender.

I don't buy the "pad your stats" argument.

Some players really are ok with being mediocre.
Most people want to get paid the most for the least amount of effort....why do you think athletes are different?
He's being paid the least he's made since his entry level deal
It is probably in line with his value, and he won't have to kill himself in Buffalo to get it....plus CHICKEN WINGS!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:41 pm Petro is a locker room cancer

Yep; he'll never win another SC. I would bet on that...unless he comes crawling back to the Blues, but after all this, does anyone still really want him back? I'm over it already personally. Perhaps it's his agent, but Petro ain't some unseasoned rookie who's never been through negotiations before. Different climate for sure, but if he feels his agent is fucking him over and making this worse for him (which IMHO he is) then Petro needs to step up and fire the fucker and get a new agent.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:55 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:41 pm Petro is a locker room cancer

Yep; he'll never win another SC. I would bet on that...unless he comes crawling back to the Blues, but after all this, does anyone still really want him back? I'm over it already personally. Perhaps it's his agent, but Petro ain't some unseasoned rookie who's never been through negotiations before. Different climate for sure, but if he feels his agent is fucking him over and making this worse for him (which IMHO he is) then Petro needs to step up and fire the fucker and get a new agent.
Really thought Army was going to stiff Petro. But that wasn’t the case. Petro screwed this up himself. I tell you. Free Agency really goes to these guys heads. Maybe not all of the big ticket guys, but we’ve seen it 2 times In a row now with our last 2 captains.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:14 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:07 pm Passed up 8 x 8 with the Blues reportedly for this

Someone doesn't arithmetic well.
Well, the lack of state income tax disagrees. This is a better contract since it comes with a full NMC. Don't know the bonus situation yet. Was it so much better it was worth moving? Who knows. Only Petro knows how badly he wanted to stay anyway.