Re: NHL Offseason Trades and Signings

BillP. wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:19 pm
jfbop37 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:57 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:40 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only people I recall dogging his leadership were message board yahoos like us. Berube was the coach, far different from captain, wildly different role. Saying Berube was more important that Petro in the Cup run is entirely defensible, but Berube doesn't win that Cup without Petro either. I don't know whether or not I'd sign him either, but this team goes backwards without him in the short term unless there are other significant additions made.
I'm honestly hard pressed to find someone on that team (Del Zotto?) that doesn't play an important role in winning that cup.
Exactly...........also Parayko was our best shut down defender during that Cup run. You can’t keep both, and preferably, I want Parayko here.
Of course you can keep both. This isn't an either or.
Just a Russian propaganda account

MattyIce wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:15 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:12 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:10 pm
Good for him. Got his ring, now get your money.
Damn. That's a good price. I would have loved the Blues to be in at that amount.
Tampa offered Shatty a 3 year deal. Obviously less money, but still, he was a great fit in Tampa. Guess these guys feel they never have enough money. I mean, he’s still getting paid off by the Rangers for their buyout.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:42 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:28 pm Is Vegas now bidding against themselves with seemingly Toronto and St Louis currently out of the picture?
Maybe a mystery team pops into the picture now that they know there's less competition. In a crazy hypothetical world that Army saying there's still a chance was true, the Blues price certainly went down.
Any chance Petro comes back crawling for a 1 year deal here and he just does the whole thing over next year?

BillP. wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:23 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:42 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:28 pm Is Vegas now bidding against themselves with seemingly Toronto and St Louis currently out of the picture?
Maybe a mystery team pops into the picture now that they know there's less competition. In a crazy hypothetical world that Army saying there's still a chance was true, the Blues price certainly went down.
Any chance Petro comes back crawling for a 1 year deal here and he just does the whole thing over next year?
No, but if he went for a one year deal anywhere, Colorado has a ton of cap room until they have to sign a bunch of guys after next season.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:24 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:16 pm Interesting on so many levels

WOW! Like you said, interesting. But if Hall is willing to go with a 1 year deal, I mean is Buffalo really the place? Why not Colorado or Boston? I mean Hall who never makes the playoffs signs with Buffalo. If I’m him, I don’t think I’d bank a year on that franchise.
Right? Didn't get a long term deal and didn't end up in a place where he'll likely win either. He got neither thing he wanted. Head scratcher.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:28 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:16 pm Interesting on so many levels

WOW! Like you said, interesting. But if Hall is willing to go with a 1 year deal, I mean is Buffalo really the place? Why not Colorado or Boston? I mean Hall who never makes the playoffs signs with Buffalo. If I’m him, I don’t think I’d bank a year on that franchise.
Right? Didn't get a long term deal and didn't end up in a place where he'll likely win either. He got neither thing he wanted. Head scratcher.
Play with Jack Eichel...put up video game stats...sign long term big money next year when people might have more money and cap might go up.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:47 pm

Play with Jack Eichel...put up video game stats...sign long term big money next year when people might have more money and cap might go up.
Most players would gnaw their own arm off to get away from Buffalo... where was Larry?

Certainly he and Eichel could be a lethal pairing. Of course if that's all he wanted to do he could've just gone back to Edmonton and played with McDavid. It's just odd, Buffalo hasn't exactly been a place players go to to increase their value. Everyone tries to escape there.

Also that no other team could offer this? If you're Boston and you were prepared to pay Krug 6.5...Why not just transfer that over to Hall for 1.5 more for just a year?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 pm

Certainly he and Eichel could be a lethal pairing. Of course if that's all he wanted to do he could've just gone back to Edmonton and played with McDavid. It's just odd, Buffalo hasn't exactly been a place players go to to increase their value. Everyone tries to escape there.

Also that no other team could offer this? If you're Boston and you were prepared to pay Krug 6.5...Why not just transfer that over to Hall for 1.5 more for just a year?
Shit, Buffalo might turn around and trade Eichel now, as fucked up as they are.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 pm

I think there's too much baggage for him in Edmonton. Some of the local media smeared him on his way out of town. Boston seemed like a reasonable landing spot for him. Buffalo has a strong top 6 on paper and a brutal bottom 6. They'll be a fun team to watch if you have no rooting interest.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:42 pm I don't see how any player trying to prove their worth on a one year contract would sign with a cellar dweller rather than with a contender.

I don't buy the "pad your stats" argument.

Some players really are ok with being mediocre.
Most people want to get paid the most for the least amount of effort....why do you think athletes are different?

CaptSMRT wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:22 pm
BluesSK wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:42 pm I don't see how any player trying to prove their worth on a one year contract would sign with a cellar dweller rather than with a contender.

I don't buy the "pad your stats" argument.

Some players really are ok with being mediocre.
Most people want to get paid the most for the least amount of effort....why do you think athletes are different?
He's being paid the least he's made since his entry level deal