Re: NHL Offseason Trades and Signings

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:23 am Signing Petro won't hinder the team going forward. Losing him will. Because once he's gone, you're going to be spending your time trying to replace him just like they did when they traded Pronger.
You never "replace" a player. Its about allocating money for other areas.
Look at this group of forwards and their contract situations. There is a lot of work to be done with this group. Especially with Tank's recent injuries.
If we sign Petro long term, we better hope Kyrou and Kostin turn into something, because there isn't much depth there.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:26 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:23 am Signing Petro won't hinder the team going forward. Losing him will. Because once he's gone, you're going to be spending your time trying to replace him just like they did when they traded Pronger.
You never "replace" a player. Its about allocating money for other areas.
Look at this group of forwards and their contract situations. There is a lot of work to be done with this group. Especially with Tank's recent injuries.
If we sign Petro long term, we better hope Kyrou and Kostin turn into something, because there isn't much depth there.

capfriendly.png
Petro is not Pronger..................it'll be great to see how Petro works out in a new place. He was never a difference maker here until we had the killer B combo of Berube and Binnington................Petro wants to walk away from Captaincy of a Cup team, having his jersey retired, and seeing a statue built for him............so I say, fine ------------ See ya!

BillP. wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:38 pm
Petro is not Pronger..................it'll be great to see how Petro works out in a new place. He was never a difference maker here until we had the killer B combo of Berube and Binnington................Petro wants to walk away from Captaincy of a Cup team, having his jersey retired, and seeing a statue built for him............so I say, fine ------------ See ya!
I completely agree. Good player for sure, and Lord knows I have some awesome pictures of him hoisting the Cup, but he is a very good, very solid player, and not a superstar. I hope he comes back on a good contract for both sides, but he just isn’t a guy I want to Blues to pay huge bucks for.

Matangama wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:43 pm
I completely agree. Good player for sure, and Lord knows I have some awesome pictures of him hoisting the Cup, but he is a very good, very solid player, and not a superstar. I hope he comes back on a good contract for both sides, but he just isn’t a guy I want to Blues to pay huge bucks for.
I think he is currently an elite player, but I just don't know how long that'll last. If it were a 4-5 year deal, great. But despite him being a top 10 (at least) dman currently, I don't think giving a guy his age 7 years at top dollar will work out in the long run...which is why I would be okay with him leaving.

Cujo's Mask wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:49 pm
Matangama wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:43 pm
I think he is currently an elite player, but I just don't know how long that'll last. If it were a 4-5 year deal, great. But despite him being a top 10 (at least) dman currently, I don't think giving a guy his age 7 years at top dollar will work out in the long run...which is why I would be okay with him leaving.
He honestly isn’t what I would call elite, but that’s just me. Totally agree with everything else you said.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:00 pm Captain the team to a Stanley Cup playing 30 mins a night but yeah, not a difference maker. Huge giant eye roll for the lack of respect

Also, no one said he was Pronger. But you'll be desperately trying to replace him like they were Pronger. And mostly failing to do so
I would correct you by saying that Berube captained the team a Cup. Everyone dogged Petro's leadership until Berube took over.
Listen, he is a damn good player, but I personally want the team to stay flexible. That's just where I am with it.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:04 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:00 pm Captain the team to a Stanley Cup playing 30 mins a night but yeah, not a difference maker. Huge giant eye roll for the lack of respect

Also, no one said he was Pronger. But you'll be desperately trying to replace him like they were Pronger. And mostly failing to do so
I would correct you by saying that Berube captained the team a Cup. Everyone dogged Petro's leadership until Berube took over.
Listen, he is a damn good player, but I personally want the team to stay flexible. That's just where I am with it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only people I recall dogging his leadership were message board yahoos like us. Berube was the coach, far different from captain, wildly different role. Saying Berube was more important that Petro in the Cup run is entirely defensible, but Berube doesn't win that Cup without Petro either. I don't know whether or not I'd sign him either, but this team goes backwards without him in the short term unless there are other significant additions made.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Calling him not a difference maker is ridiculous though. There's a reason if someone like Vegas signs him, they immediately become the favorite in the west. BECAUSE HES A DIFFERENCE MAKER
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:40 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only people I recall dogging his leadership were message board yahoos like us. Berube was the coach, far different from captain, wildly different role. Saying Berube was more important that Petro in the Cup run is entirely defensible, but Berube doesn't win that Cup without Petro either. I don't know whether or not I'd sign him either, but this team goes backwards without him in the short term unless there are other significant additions made.
I'm honestly hard pressed to find someone on that team (Del Zotto?) that doesn't play an important role in winning that cup.

jfbop37 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:57 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:40 pm

I'm honestly hard pressed to find someone on that team (Del Zotto?) that doesn't play an important role in winning that cup.
Exactly...........also Parayko was our best shut down defender during that Cup run. You can’t keep both, and preferably, I want Parayko here.