Re: NHL Offseason Trades and Signings

ratonmono wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:11 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:08 am So long Petro. Enjoy Vegas

God damn Army fucked this up royally. Ah well we got the cup so I'm not too mad but this team isn't going to be that great going forward.
I'm kind of in the camp that signing Petro long term will actually hinder the team going forward.
Every team that has won recent Cups has had great forward depth. This team needs to start thinking about that forward position again. With Tank out next year and some contracts coming to an end in the next couple of years, the Blues may need to reload the forward position a bit. Signing Petro will basically kill their ability to upgrade the forward position.
KA-KAW!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:17 am If Petro leaves I hope it happens QUICK. I don't want it to drag on and then he leaves and the Blues are left with scraps left on the market
I think he's outta here, but JR's piece last night made it sound like he might take his time. I wouldn't be surprised if Army has a deadline for him and just starts using up cap space if Petro hasn't signed. Everybody in this league tampers, so I'm sure Petro and his agent know what the other offers are going to be.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

MattyIce wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:22 am
ratonmono wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:11 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:08 am So long Petro. Enjoy Vegas

God damn Army fucked this up royally. Ah well we got the cup so I'm not too mad but this team isn't going to be that great going forward.
I'm kind of in the camp that signing Petro long term will actually hinder the team going forward.
Every team that has won recent Cups has had great forward depth. This team needs to start thinking about that forward position again. With Tank out next year and some contracts coming to an end in the next couple of years, the Blues may need to reload the forward position a bit. Signing Petro will basically kill their ability to upgrade the forward position.
Signing your best player or tied for best with O'Reilly is never a bad decision. You let lesser guys go you also don't add middling players like Faulk at a huge contract. The Bozak/Maroon/Barbashev/Sanford/Sunny level guys can be replaced. Hell even a Schwartz type can be replaced, finding a replacement for Petro? Good luck. Our D was the best in the league and now it's middling at best. Our forwards are deep but top end is just OK and Binnington is all on his own now. I see us as a bubble team at the moment. Hope we either get Petro back or somehow upgrade the forwards.

I am still on team "I don't know" in terms of long term Petro contract. Obviously that's the right move for the next 2-ish years, but these contracts go bad very often..even when it's the teams best or best-ish players. Drew Doughty, Erik Karlsson come to mind among others. Hell, Stamkos isn't even cooked yet, but Tampa is considering moving him despite the team just winning the Cup. Having said that...they just won the Cup so maybe that's an argument for keeping Petro...but Stamkos barely played at all...AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

I conclusion, still on team "I don't know".

I think this comes into play, but I think Army just says fuck it and signs who he was going to sign anyway.

Also, a general reminder that in typical years, the big winners on Free Agency Day are usually the teams that don't do anything. It might be a little different this year due to budget constraints shifting the market at all that, but we'll see.

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:39 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:37 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:35 am
This seems...odd. Unless they're throwing him a risky amount of money, wouldn't he want to go to a contender?
Hard to pass up the chance to play with Robby Fabbri
Great point. And I forgot to include the weather aspect. Detroit winters are MUCH nicer than Ottawa.
What a waste. We could have used him.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 am

Great point. And I forgot to include the weather aspect. Detroit winters are MUCH nicer than Ottawa.
It sounds like Bobby Ryan was looking for more of an opportunity than a chance to win. He'll obviously get a more important role in Detroit than he would in St Louis. Which is smart if he's trying to establish himself going into free agency again next year.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BluesSK wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 am

The thing that makes sense to me from Ryan's perspective is that he's a clear top 6 guy there. He'll get big minutes on PP and will be able to put up some numbers before hopefully getting traded at the deadline to a contender and signing a bigger deal next season. Probably going to see a lot of short term deals this year. Most of the guys signing so far were going to be short term anyway, but we'll see.