Re: NHL Offseason Trades and Signings

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:29 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:58 pm This looks to be the classic trade that made both teams worse.
I don't know, seems like it only makes Minnesota worse to me. I don't understand this for them at all.
I think Staal was pretty comfortable in Minnesota. I don't know how motivated he will be to play in Buffalo.

You're right I don't understand this trade from the Wild perspective unless it was about salary.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm
BluesSK wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:58 pm This looks to be the classic trade that made both teams worse.
I don't know, seems like it only makes Minnesota worse to me. I don't understand this for them at all.
I think Staal was pretty comfortable in Minnesota. I don't know how motivated he will be to play in Buffalo.

You're right I don't understand this trade from the Wild perspective unless it was about salary.

Trade makes zero sense. They need to check Guerin for concussion issues. Staal, who loved Minnesota, took less money to play in Minnesota, who has played well in Minnesota, and makes 1M less than Johannsen, gets traded for a lesser player with a bigger cap. WTF

BillP. wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 am
BluesSK wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Trade makes zero sense. They need to check Guerin for concussion issues. Staal, who loved Minnesota, took less money to play in Minnesota, who has played well in Minnesota, and makes 1M less than Johannsen, gets traded for a lesser player with a bigger cap. WTF
What's worse is that they're planning on moving Johansson to back to center where he's played before but is far more effective on the wing. I thought maybe there was a contractual reason for it, but nope, both UFA after next season. Guerin had a few quotes making it seem like this was basically a trade for the sake of shaking up the status quo, and that it is likely only the first of many. We'll see if it works, but it sure is good for entertainment value.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

We missed this one a few days ago:

Wings grab a second round pick (in next year's draft) for taking on the last year of Staal's contract at $5.75M. Nice use of cap space, plus he'll be good in the room. The Rangers have a lot of RFAs and UFAs, but nobody due for a huge contract. They've also got to figure out what's happening with their 3 goalie situation. Wonder if that extra cap space they just cleared up might let them make a bit of a splash.

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:47 am We missed this one a few days ago:

Wings grab a second round pick (in next year's draft) for taking on the last year of Staal's contract at $5.75M. Nice use of cap space, plus he'll be good in the room. The Rangers have a lot of RFAs and UFAs, but nobody due for a huge contract. They've also got to figure out what's happening with their 3 goalie situation. Wonder if that extra cap space they just cleared up might let them make a bit of a splash.

Rangers buy Lundqvist out and Army picks him up for a song.

BillP. wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:47 am We missed this one a few days ago:

Rangers buy Lundqvist out and Army picks him up for a song.
Honestly I'd be on board with it just to stare at his hair while he's on the bench.

What are you up to this Saturday morning? I got some munchkins at Dunks, but if you're an NHL free agent goalie chances are you were signing a contract:

Lehner is the big one, and it's nice to see Elliott sign in a place he likes. Jarry all but confirms Matt Murray is getting traded you'd think. Also supposedly San Jose is trading for Dubnyk. They just want all the bad goalies they can get!

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:42 am What are you up to this Saturday morning? I got some munchkins at Dunks, but if you're an NHL free agent goalie chances are you were signing a contract:

Lehner is the big one, and it's nice to see Elliott sign in a place he likes. Jarry all but confirms Matt Murray is getting traded you'd think. Also supposedly San Jose is trading for Dubnyk. They just want all the bad goalies they can get!
That Jarry contract is kind of strange. It's not really starter money and Matt Murray is only a 26 year old RFA. Teams must really be tightening their belts.

BluesSK wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:22 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:42 am What are you up to this Saturday morning? I got some munchkins at Dunks, but if you're an NHL free agent goalie chances are you were signing a contract:

That Jarry contract is kind of strange. It's not really starter money and Matt Murray is only a 26 year old RFA. Teams must really be tightening their belts.
That, but also Murray has been pretty lousy 2 of the last 3 years. Your point about not starter money is a good one. I guess they could probably keep Murray if they don't like the offers out there.

Giving big money to just about any goalie these days is the height of stupidity. Lundqvist and Price might be the last of the 65+ starter days and Hank is clearly past that and has been for a minute. There just aren’t many standouts at the position any longer. The worst goalie in the league isn’t that far off from the top goalie. It makes sense given the evolution of the position to become more mechanical and less athletic.

ratonmono wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:41 pm Giving big money to just about any goalie these days is the height of stupidity. Lundqvist and Price might be the last of the 65+ starter days and Hank is clearly past that and has been for a minute. There just aren’t many standouts at the position any longer. The worst goalie in the league isn’t that far off from the top goalie. It makes sense given the evolution of the position to become more mechanical and less athletic.
Well said.