Re: Blues Offseason Trades/Signings Thread

Something to watch, Blues have 22 guys on roster right now. That counts Tarasenko, but not Petro. There's a 23 man limit during the season, so if they make any additions, somebody is either getting traded or having to be placed on waivers and maybe lost. I imagine they can go over 23 in offseason, but at some point they'll have to make it work.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BillP. wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:26 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:00 pm This is going to drag on I think

Man, if Vegas changes direction, then he really messed up.
Sounds like he wanted to come back and he had a reasonable offer. Army said he included a partial NMC and some bonus money. If I'm Petro and what i really wanted was to stay, I'm pissed at myself and especially agent.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:00 pm This is going to drag on I think

Sounds like he wanted to come back and he had a reasonable offer. Army said he included a partial NMC and some bonus money. If I'm Petro and what i really wanted was to stay, I'm pissed at myself and especially my agent.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:48 am

Sounds like he wanted to come back and he had a reasonable offer. Army said he included a partial NMC and some bonus money. If I'm Petro and what i really wanted was to stay, I'm pissed at myself and especially my agent.
Petro's agents expected Army to offer a blank contract & say "fill it in as you see fit" apparently....

Army can't just "cave" on whatever he wants. Not in the current financial climate. If Petro wants to stay, it's gotta be give & take from both sides.

According to JR's piece in the athletic today, he exchanged some text with Alex and he was "caught off guard"

While the Blues’ GM was on a Zoom call with reporters, Pietrangelo was contacted about the turn of events. “Nothing to say,” Pietrangelo wrote in a text message. “It caught me off-guard.”

He didn’t comment any further, but it was clear he hadn’t moved on in his mind.
But as a source close to Pietrangelo said Friday, “Alex wasn’t interested in one thing over the other. He wanted everything the way he wanted it. If you’re Doug, how do you not cave into that? If that’s what it means to keep him, what are you doing?'”

Also from the piece: Krug was partners with Faulk at the 2015 World Championships.

“I had success with Faulker, and I know him well, so there’s chemistry there,”

https://theathletic.com/2128810/2020/10 ... orey-krug/
Just a Russian propaganda account

usmcaaron wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:48 am

Petro's agents expected Army to offer a blank contract & say "fill it in as you see fit" apparently....

Screenshot_20201010-102720_Samsung Internet.jpg

Army can't just "cave" on whatever he wants. Not in the current financial climate. If Petro wants to stay, it's gotta be give & take from both sides.
Yeah, that's a fine starting point for negotiations back in January of 2019, but in the homestretch building up to UFA day during a flat cap pandemic? Probably not, unless those things were more important than staying in St. Louis. If they were, then by all means Petro's camp was right to hold their ground. If staying in St. Louis was a high priority he and his reps had to know that wasn't going to happen. It sounds like Army was willing to give some concessions, but not everything. We'll probably never know, and we'll never really know what Petro's true priorities were. Either he let his agents overplay their hand, or he just wanted more money.

The addition of Justin Faulk last year was a head-scratcher from the get-go and was always going to be a problem for the Blues. The seven-year, $45.5-million extension GM Doug Armstrong gave him likely spelled the end of Alex Pietrangelo in St. Louis. Along with Colton Parayko, it didn’t make sense to pay top dollar for three right-handed defensemen. But Armstrong helped rectify his own issue Friday.

Instead of waiting to see if Pietrangelo would return on a deal that slightly handcuffs the team, Armstrong went out and got the next best rearguard on the open market, signing Torey Krug to a seven-year contract with a $6.5-million cap hit. If Armstrong waited on Pietrangelo, he still might've lost his captain and saw Krug go elsewhere. It was smart to strike a deal while he could.

Now, by no means are we saying Krug is better than Pietrangelo - because he's certainly not - but the latter likely would have cost a couple million more per season. And, the fact Krug is left-handed evens out the potential pairings:

LD RD
Torey Krug Justin Faulk
Vince Dunn Colton Parayko
Marco Scandella Robert Bortuzzo
Carl Gunnarsson

That’s still an awfully strong blue line, even without Pietrangelo. Don’t be surprised if Faulk has a bounce-back year now that he doesn’t have to play his off side. He and Krug have played together before on the international stage, too.
Source: The Score, Day One Winners and Losers article.

insideout wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:22 pm I feel like I'm in the minority, but I thought Faulk had improved quite a bit throughout the 19/20 season and was playing fairly well when they shut things down. I'm not convinced he is the disaster a lot of people think he is. Krug/Faulk pairing sounds okay to me. The Tarasenko situation is a bigger problem.
He had just 3 points in his 20 games prior to the shutdown. But yes, here's hoping some comfort next year will do him some good. It would be huge if so.
Just a Russian propaganda account

BluesSK wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:57 pm
The addition of Justin Faulk last year was a head-scratcher from the get-go and was always going to be a problem for the Blues. The seven-year, $45.5-million extension GM Doug Armstrong gave him likely spelled the end of Alex Pietrangelo in St. Louis. Along with Colton Parayko, it didn’t make sense to pay top dollar for three right-handed defensemen. But Armstrong helped rectify his own issue Friday.

Instead of waiting to see if Pietrangelo would return on a deal that slightly handcuffs the team, Armstrong went out and got the next best rearguard on the open market, signing Torey Krug to a seven-year contract with a $6.5-million cap hit. If Armstrong waited on Pietrangelo, he still might've lost his captain and saw Krug go elsewhere. It was smart to strike a deal while he could.

Now, by no means are we saying Krug is better than Pietrangelo - because he's certainly not - but the latter likely would have cost a couple million more per season. And, the fact Krug is left-handed evens out the potential pairings:

LD RD
Torey Krug Justin Faulk
Vince Dunn Colton Parayko
Marco Scandella Robert Bortuzzo
Carl Gunnarsson

That’s still an awfully strong blue line, even without Pietrangelo. Don’t be surprised if Faulk has a bounce-back year now that he doesn’t have to play his off side. He and Krug have played together before on the international stage, too.
Source: The Score, Day One Winners and Losers article.
Thanks