What Rule Changes Would You Like To See?

I have been tossing around a few ideas in my empty, lonely noggin for some rule changes. Most aren't worth even mentioning, but here are two that I think could add a bit to the game overall.

First, change a portion of the icing rule to the international standard. Make the player have to completely cross center ice before he can dump the puck in. No more of this being in the area of the red line then dumping it in. It's like baseball where as long as you were close to second base when turning a double play, that was good enough. The entire player, including his stick has to be completely over the center red line.

Second, change the size of the trapezoid and the rule. Make the trapezoid bigger and then make the area behind the net off limits to the goalies. Now they can only play the puck in the corners and NOT behind the net. Since the original idea was to limit the goalie's ability to help his D-men to increase offense, make it a bigger risk for the goalies to play the puck.

I think both of these changes would help create more offense. I could be wrong, but with bigger and faster players on a rink that hasn't, and probably won't get any bigger, these are two changes I'd like to see. Will they happen, probably not. But I suppose the icing is a lot more probable than my trapezoid idea.

Finally just to throw one out that I've mentioned before and I was in the minority, big time, I want to change how points are awarded for regular season games. I absolutely hate the loser point. I want it to go away, forever. I would love to see this happen, regulation win=3 points, OT win=2 points, and a shoot out win=1 point. This way a regulation win is the most important win. No more getting rewarded for losing the game. I'd also be ok with just bringing back the tie, but that ain't happening either. But I do not and never have liked this loser point. It's just not right, as far as I'm concerned. I know this is probably the least popular of my three ideas, but I was just throwing this out there.

Feel free to add your own ideas or flame mine.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Re: What Rule Changes Would You Like To See?

I like the 3 point system and your reverse trapezoid idea. The current loser point system is so dumb and uses flawed logic about playoff races to support it. Playoff races would be far more exciting to me if teams are going for the regulation win rather than sitting back for the entirety of the third period during any tie game. Not sure I dig the icing tweak because I don't want more whistles.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:22 am Power plays last the full time. Score as many times as you can in the 2 minutes just like they do on majors. This also means if you score on a delayed penalty, the power play doesn't cancel.

No video review on offsides. Instead do video reviews for embellishment

Get rid of trapezoid

Get rid of Chicago team
I'm in favor of this as well. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I thought when I was younger that if the team getting the PP didn't get the 6th attacker on the ice and scored, they still got a power play. But, if they did get that 6th man, no PP. LIke I said, it would have been a long time ago, and I could very easily be 100% wrong, too.
2018-2019 Stanley Cup Champion St. Louis Blues. And I was alive to see it happen!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:25 am I like the 3 point system and your reverse trapezoid idea. The current loser point system is so dumb and uses flawed logic about playoff races to support it. Playoff races would be far more exciting to me if teams are going for the regulation win rather than sitting back for the entirety of the third period during any tie game. Not sure I dig the icing tweak because I don't want more whistles.
A very valid point.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:22 am Power plays last the full time. Score as many times as you can in the 2 minutes just like they do on majors. This also means if you score on a delayed penalty, the power play doesn't cancel.

Get rid of trapezoid

Get rid of Chicago team
Agree on the PP stuff. I thiiiiiiiiink back in the day (Think Rocket Richard era) they did grant the full 2 minutes, but the Habs were so lethal on the PP they had to change the rule.

My video review tweak is this. All reviews have to come from Toronto. Don't allow challenges. If the offside is not so egregious that they can't pick it up or at least flag it in real time in Toronto, then it's not the type of offside review that the rule was meant to change. I don't like the new "skate in the air is ok" rule. I think that's just going to change what the interminable reviews focus on.

One minor offside tweak I'd like to see. Make the entire blue line truly neutral. Meaning you don't have to have one skate outside the zone before the puck enters the zone to be onside. If your skate is anywhere on the blueline and the puck is even partially into the zone, it's onside. essentially you shrink the distance in question from 9 inches or whatever the line width is down to a single plane. I'm all for removing grey area wherever possible.

Finally, if you lose the game, you should be allowed to get a point if your head coach challenges and defeats the other head coach in a fight. That's a loser point I can get on board with.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:43 am

Get rid of trapezoid

Get rid of Chicago team
Agree on the PP stuff. I thiiiiiiiiink back in the day (Think Rocket Richard era) they did grant the full 2 minutes, but the Habs were so lethal on the PP they had to change the rule.

My video review tweak is this. All reviews have to come from Toronto. Don't allow challenges. If the offside is not so egregious that they can't pick it up or at least flag it in real time in Toronto, then it's not the type of offside review that the rule was meant to change. I don't like the new "skate in the air is ok" rule. I think that's just going to change what the interminable reviews focus on.

One minor offside tweak I'd like to see. Make the entire blue line truly neutral. Meaning you don't have to have one skate outside the zone before the puck enters the zone to be onside. If your skate is anywhere on the blueline and the puck is even partially into the zone, it's onside. essentially you shrink the distance in question from 9 inches or whatever the line width is down to a single plane. I'm all for removing grey area wherever possible.

Finally, if you lose the game, you should be allowed to get a point if your head coach challenges and defeats the other head coach in a fight. That's a loser point I can get on board with.
Would you have even suggested this if Yeo were still our head coach? I think not. The benefits of having a bad ass head coach, I guess.

Get rid of trapezoid

Get rid of Chicago team
I really like your idea with that first one. Thinking about it, it is ridiculous that the penalty isn't assessed in the first place because it is not like the other team ever had to play shorthanded, you've just opted to have six skaters instead of five and a goalie since they can't shoot the puck into your net. I've always felt the team who is penalized shouldn't have the privilege of icing the puck either just because they're killing a penalty. Having said all that, I don't know that this works out well for the Blues given the state of their PP and PK in August.

And your last suggestion is just common sense.

MissouriMook wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:06 am

Get rid of trapezoid

Get rid of Chicago team
I really like your idea with that first one. Thinking about it, it is ridiculous that the penalty isn't assessed in the first place because it is not like the other team ever had to play shorthanded, you've just opted to have six skaters instead of five and a goalie since they can't shoot the puck into your net. I've always felt the team who is penalized shouldn't have the privilege of icing the puck either just because they're killing a penalty. Having said all that, I don't know that this works out well for the Blues given the state of their PP and PK in August.

And your last suggestion is just common sense.
It's an idea that totally backfires when you consider how absolute rubbish the officials are. Imagine you're up by two in the third and they call a trash penalty that cost you the lead. Would be frustrating but I still like the rule.

If you're going to review anything in hockey it should be penalty calls. If the ref gets it wrong they go to the box for two minutes and it becomes a lawless game for the next two minutes.
Just a Russian propaganda account

stlblues1226 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am I have been tossing around a few ideas in my empty, lonely noggin for some rule changes. Most aren't worth even mentioning, but here are two that I think could add a bit to the game overall.

First, change a portion of the icing rule to the international standard. Make the player have to completely cross center ice before he can dump the puck in. No more of this being in the area of the red line then dumping it in. It's like baseball where as long as you were close to second base when turning a double play, that was good enough. The entire player, including his stick has to be completely over the center red line.

Second, change the size of the trapezoid and the rule. Make the trapezoid bigger and then make the area behind the net off limits to the goalies. Now they can only play the puck in the corners and NOT behind the net. Since the original idea was to limit the goalie's ability to help his D-men to increase offense, make it a bigger risk for the goalies to play the puck.

I think both of these changes would help create more offense. I could be wrong, but with bigger and faster players on a rink that hasn't, and probably won't get any bigger, these are two changes I'd like to see. Will they happen, probably not. But I suppose the icing is a lot more probable than my trapezoid idea.

Finally just to throw one out that I've mentioned before and I was in the minority, big time, I want to change how points are awarded for regular season games. I absolutely hate the loser point. I want it to go away, forever. I would love to see this happen, regulation win=3 points, OT win=2 points, and a shoot out win=1 point. This way a regulation win is the most important win. No more getting rewarded for losing the game. I'd also be ok with just bringing back the tie, but that ain't happening either. But I do not and never have liked this loser point. It's just not right, as far as I'm concerned. I know this is probably the least popular of my three ideas, but I was just throwing this out there.

Feel free to add your own ideas or flame mine.
I like both changes, especially the trapazoid. I thought from the beginning that it was backwards.

(1) Offside Review:
- Offside plays should be reviewable until (i) whistle, (ii) puck leaves zone and players get onside, or (iii) the defending team takes control of the puck.
In other words, if Team 1 enters the zone offside, and Team 2 takes control of the puck and coughs it back up, and Team 1 repossesses and scores, it’s a good goal. The point is that only goals scored as a result of the offside should be reviewed.

- If it’s not clearly offside in one view of the replay, then move on. No zooming in to see if someone’s toe is over a line that has no definitive edge. Play is reviewed from each angle once.

(2) Puck over the glass = icing.
I’m in the minority on this one, but I don’t understand why the penalty for delaying the game by icing the puck is a d-zone face-off with no line change, while the penalty for delaying the game by throwing it over the glass is a 2-minute minor. If you throw it over the glass, it should be treated as an icing.

(3) Suspensions/Game misconducts

- Suspensions should be treated as multiple game-misconducts – i.e. your team skates with a short bench during your suspension. This way, there’s more accountability for dirty players because they are a lability for their teams. Similarly, game misconducts should be 60 minutes regardless of when they happen in the game (i.e. short bench carries over to next game).

(4) Eliminate conferences – 4 divisions, each division has a 2-round playoff for division championship: 4 teams, seeded 1-4. After 2 rounds, the 4 division champions are seeded 1-4. This improves the chance of the best 2 teams meeting in the finals.

(5) Smaller goalie equipment.

(6) Finally, I’m not sure exactly what the answer is, but they league should re-evaluate what constitutes a charge. Right now, a player can recklessly launch himself at an opponent, and whether it is a dirty play depends on whether the targeted player shifts into a vulnerable position at the last second. (Maybe it's just a matter of actually following the rule book?)

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:18 am If it hasn't been mentioned I want to go back to 1 ref.

I'd rather not enough penalties be called than too many. I'm tired of seeing games where 20+ minutes of them are spent with a team on the PP/PK.
100% in agreement. These guys seem like they are intent on justifying their existence by calling penalties, whether they exist or not. One ref standing three feet away, looking directly at the play, doesn't call anything. Another ref wanna be, 150 feet away, calls a penalty.....
The single ref may be bad, but at least you have some idea of what he will, or will not, call.
At the very least, put the second ref upstairs with a camera, whom the on ice ref can call for help on a play he didn't see.

T.C. wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:40 am
BluesSK wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:11 pmRally boobs.
this. also, whatever changes are necessary to support the return of fighting.
Fighting is one of those parts of the game that I don't think will ever be strictly forbidden, but the dynamics of the game have marginalized. How many willing combatants are in the NHL right now? Look at how Reaves runs his mouth, and not that he won't back it up. I have a hard time believing he would be so lippy if each team was half cement head like they were in the past. The only way fighting comes back in a major way is if some coaches find value in it and start using guys who can throw down.

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:38 pm I hear what you guys are saying about removing a ref but I'm totally opposed. Remove a ref and cheap shots hehind the play skyrocket. Sure they have suspensions as a deterrent, but in the moment I want that ref there.
l

Actually the problem is not as much as how many, but the ability. If we could have two competent refs, fine. Unfortunately, some of the nhl refs arent qualified to work at Burger King. Seriously, these guys are a joke. Until the nhl can come up with a competent staff to support two refs a game, I'm all for going back to a single ref.

MattyIce wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:03 am They need to change the icing. How do you race to a dot? At least put a line all the way across the ice so you can race to the line.
Completely adopt the internation rules; player fully across the center red line, and, as soon as the puck crosses the goal/icing line, blow the whistle no matter who's closer to the puck. No more racing to a random point on the ice.

Oh, yea, one more thing. If you ice the puck, you can't make any player changes.......unless you have your goalie pulled??? I think if you have your goalie pulled and you ice the puck, tough shit. You can only put 5 guys on the ice for the face off and as soon as the puck is dropped, the goalie can bolt onto the ice, but you shouldn't be allowed to put the goalie in before the face off. Just another risk to pulling your goalie.

Ok, two more things. If you get called for icing and the team tries to make changes anyway and they have to go to video to see who was on the ice, that's a 2 minute delay of game penalty because that actually delays the game while they review the footage. I really think sometimes teams do it just to get the free rest for guys on the ice.

Eliminate the puck dropped unfairly bullshit.... too easy for a zebra to screw someone whenever he feels like it.... Linesman places the puck on the center of the dot.... players taking the draw have to have their sticks on the ice outside of the dot.... everybody else has to have their sticks on the ice outside of the circle... when everybody is set, the head ref blows his whistle and it's game on... anybody moves before the whistle, it's a delay of game....not only eliminates the unfair drop call, but also the tossing players out of the face-off whenever the linesman feels like it.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 pm... Linesman places the puck on the center of the dot.... players taking the draw have to have their sticks on the ice outside of the dot.... everybody else has to have their sticks on the ice outside of the circle... when everybody is set, the head ref blows his whistle and it's game on...
You forgot the 3 ice-to-stick taps sequence by the faceoff opponents. It's worked for decades in floor hockey - time for the NHL to embrace the simplicity.

JMC-STL wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:51 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:46 pm... Linesman places the puck on the center of the dot.... players taking the draw have to have their sticks on the ice outside of the dot.... everybody else has to have their sticks on the ice outside of the circle... when everybody is set, the head ref blows his whistle and it's game on...
You forgot the 3 ice-to-stick taps sequence by the faceoff opponents. It's worked for decades in floor hockey - time for the NHL to embrace the simplicity.
Too complicated... they'd screw that up.