Re: Blues and Leafs

#2
LW Andreas Johnsson, RHD prospect Timothy Liljegren and the Maple Leafs newly acquired 1st round pick (15th overall) going to St Louis for defenseman Colton Parayko.
What the what now? Seems pretty light on the current NHLer return. At the same time, the argument could be made that CP55 may never fully be himself after Covid-19. Could be a Jaime McClennan type issue (top tier prospect before he got meningitis and then after that we knew him as a journeyman back-up tender).

This is all just speculation ^^^

If we deal with TOR I want someone coming in that could actually replace Vova. I mean CP55 was supposed to be the future of our defense.

Re: Blues and Leafs

#3
Could I see them trading Parayko to the Leafs in a big deal? Absolutely. Would I like that #15 overall pick? Definitely. But is that enough of a return for the Blues? Nope, I’m with Cotton. We need more than that.

Re: Blues and Leafs

#4
That #15 pick is awfully intriguing but that return seems a bit light. Does seem like Army is gonna have to make a decision eventually but it really just depends on what happens with Petro. If he does sign here , maybe Parayko is the odd man out but I would think Army wants to take another run at a cup before making that decision.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Re: Blues and Leafs

#6
So I've been of the position that any Parayko offer would be laughed off the phone by Army. However, he's only got 2 years left, and figures to be due a raise and the cap probably won't have increased much if at all by then. As for that specific offer, the pick is obviously nice, but I don't know where Timothy Liljegren's stock stands right now after once being thought very highly of before his draft. I'm not that familiar with Johnsson other than that he had some injuries this year.

This specific deal is probably a bit of speculation from a blogger, but I could see this type of deal coming to fruition to make room for Petro. I wouldn't have thought that back in February.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Blues and Leafs

#8
Matangama wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:21 am
Ok Tim, if we had 15 and 23 in the 1st round, what do we do with them? If we pick in those spots, who do we get.....or do we trade up from there?
Man...pick 15 puts us in position for Connor Zary or Seth Jarvis. Both of these guys were born to wear the Blue note. Zary is the guy I would take given a choice but Jarvis would be a helluva a pick as well...that would personally be a tough call for me but I think Zary is my pick for sure. Just all depends...Either one could go as high #10.
I would prefer to keep those 2 picks and not trade up any higher. We will end up with two guys that will play in the NHL.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Re: Blues and Leafs

#11
Matangama wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 am
If we get the right guy at #15, then the trade looks more interesting. Maybe Army waits until the draft before making the trade so he sees who is there at 15. When the heck is the draft this year?
Tentatively scheduled for October 9-10 at the moment. If we weren't going to win the Cup, at least our front office has more time to focus on getting the right guys.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Blues and Leafs

#12
Seems to me if Toronto wants a stud like Parayko, at his age, and on a cap-friendly contract (for 2 more years), they will need to overpay. Otherwise, they can wait and take the chance of Petro hitting the market......in which case, they need to dump a few guys to make room for his contract - for 7 more years. That proposed deal is definitely not overpaying.

Re: Blues and Leafs

#14
Drubilly wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 am
I want Marner. Include Kyrou and Li!jeg@en if you have to sweeten the salary/cap trickyness.
I’m sure he has been considered untouchable, but to me, Marner was the single most disappointing player for the Leafs in the playoffs. As Tim noted, he looked like the consummate “independent contractor” out there.

I’m guessing he is still an untouchable, especially since Dubas falls in love with his little boy toys.....but I would sure hope Army starts the conversation with Marner and not the half ass deal discussed in the rumor.

Re: Blues and Leafs

#15
Matangama wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:57 am
Drubilly wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 am
I want Marner. Include Kyrou and Li!jeg@en if you have to sweeten the salary/cap trickyness.
I’m sure he has been considered untouchable, but to me, Marner was the single most disappointing player for the Leafs in the playoffs. As Tim noted, he looked like the consummate “independent contractor” out there.

I’m guessing he is still an untouchable, especially since Dubas falls in love with his little boy toys.....but I would sure hope Army starts the conversation with Marner and not the half ass deal discussed in the rumor.
If I'm Dubas the only untouchable I have is Matthews. Marner is a special unique player, but his contract moving would give them a chance to solve a lot of problems. Suppose the principles in the trade were Marner and Parayko. From a Leafs perspective you finally have a 1st pairing RD, and you have an extra $5M to spend elsewhere. That would be very enticing to me if I were a no good dirty Leafs fan.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Blues and Leafs

#17
Matangama wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 am
Agree Dave......but I still assume Dubas is to much of a puss to make a bold move.
It certainly would be the biggest trade he's made. Looking at his trade history, he's made loads of minor tinkering deals, and two substantial hockey trades (last year's Kadri-Barrie deal and this week's Kapanen trade). Everything else has been minor deals or cap related (Marleau to Canes). If not Marner, and I agree it almost certainly won't be, I wonder if he moves Nylander.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Blues and Leafs

#19
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:58 am
Matangama wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:21 am
Ok Tim, if we had 15 and 23 in the 1st round, what do we do with them? If we pick in those spots, who do we get.....or do we trade up from there?
Man...pick 15 puts us in position for Connor Zary or Seth Jarvis. Both of these guys were born to wear the Blue note. Zary is the guy I would take given a choice but Jarvis would be a helluva a pick as well...that would personally be a tough call for me but I think Zary is my pick for sure. Just all depends...Either one could go as high #10.
I would prefer to keep those 2 picks and not trade up any higher. We will end up with two guys that will play in the NHL.
If you had the time to put it together, I'd like to see how an NHL team would look based on your pre-draft rankings over a period of time.

Re: Blues and Leafs

#20
This one is tough for me because I am not sure what Parayko does moving forward. He is clearly one of the best defensive-defensemen in the entire league and his offense has been okay given that title. He has also played primarily with other shut down types recently against top lines, so his ceiling offensively could be much higher than shown (also, some more PP time would help). But at the same time, I just don't get the sense that he is going to be a star and the value in that proposed deal seems fairly reasonable (middle-six winger whose actually salary goes down moving forward), NHL-bound defenseman with some upside and a good pick. My only thought is that it would be better to get one prospect/player with more upside than both Johnsson and TL thrown in together.

This all depends on whether we keep Petro of course. Wouldn't make sense to lose both in one offseason.

Re: Blues and Leafs

#21
Cujo's Mask wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:15 am
This one is tough for me because I am not sure what Parayko does moving forward. He is clearly one of the best defensive-defensemen in the entire league and his offense has been okay given that title. He has also played primarily with other shut down types recently against top lines, so his ceiling offensively could be much higher than shown (also, some more PP time would help). But at the same time, I just don't get the sense that he is going to be a star and the value in that proposed deal seems fairly reasonable (middle-six winger whose actually salary goes down moving forward), NHL-bound defenseman with some upside and a good pick. My only thought is that it would be better to get one prospect/player with more upside than both Johnsson and TL thrown in together.

This all depends on whether we keep Petro of course. Wouldn't make sense to lose both in one offseason.
Yeah, Parayko is kind of a paradox. He’s very good but you always feel he could do more. But the thing is, his game has elevated our defense from the moment he hit the ice his first year here. He gave the defense a whole new dimension. His play in the SC run last year was outstanding. If I had a choice, I would rather keep the Colt and let Petro go.

Re: Blues and Leafs

#23
BillP. wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:21 am
Cujo's Mask wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:15 am
This one is tough for me because I am not sure what Parayko does moving forward. He is clearly one of the best defensive-defensemen in the entire league and his offense has been okay given that title. He has also played primarily with other shut down types recently against top lines, so his ceiling offensively could be much higher than shown (also, some more PP time would help). But at the same time, I just don't get the sense that he is going to be a star and the value in that proposed deal seems fairly reasonable (middle-six winger whose actually salary goes down moving forward), NHL-bound defenseman with some upside and a good pick. My only thought is that it would be better to get one prospect/player with more upside than both Johnsson and TL thrown in together.

This all depends on whether we keep Petro of course. Wouldn't make sense to lose both in one offseason.
Yeah, Parayko is kind of a paradox. He’s very good but you always feel he could do more. But the thing is, his game has elevated our defense from the moment he hit the ice his first year here. He gave the defense a whole new dimension. His play in the SC run last year was outstanding. If I had a choice, I would rather keep the Colt and let Petro go.
If it's a choice between Petro and Colt 55, I would let Petro walk.
cron