Re: Pietrangelo Free Agency Talk

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:08 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:14 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:37 pm

Unlike Backes, he delivered this city a cup. He can do what we wants from that point on
He's one player on the team that delivered us a cup.
Exactly. And the team captain. He can go and do what he wants now, he delivered on anything I could have ever hoped for when the Blues drafted him.

Maybe if the Blues didn't end up with Torey Krug in all of this I'd be a bit more salty. But as of right now, I've got a Stanley Cup memory and a team that can still compete for another.

How many Blues captains played their entire careers for the team? Brian Sutter is the only one I can think of.

If you're going to hate everyone who leaves, you're not going to be left with a lot of likable players.
You can love him if you want, that's your right.... I can dislike him if I want, that's my right.... end of story.

Matangama wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:00 pm I wish people would shut the fuck up about Faulk. As stated above, it didn’t keep the Blues from making a very fair, big offer to Petro. He didn’t accept. So if Faulk wasn’t here, would the Faulk haters have wanted Army to go ahead and offer Petro $9 million per year for 8 years? Just because Army would have had more cap available without Faulk, would it have been smart to throw an even bigger offer at Petro, one that he would finally say yes to? Fuck no. I’m very glad they are not on the hook for the contract Vegas gave him.
This.

Faulk and his contract had nothing to do with Army not offering $9M a year, $40M in signing bonus and a full NMC. It was 100% due to internal budgeting and organizational philosophy. 0% Faulk. Full stop.

Unlike Backes, he delivered this city a cup. He can do what we wants from that point on
Exactly. And the team captain. He can go and do what he wants now, he delivered on anything I could have ever hoped for when the Blues drafted him.

Maybe if the Blues didn't end up with Torey Krug in all of this I'd be a bit more salty. But as of right now, I've got a Stanley Cup memory and a team that can still compete for another.

How many Blues captains played their entire careers for the team? Brian Sutter is the only one I can think of.

He wasnt captain the entire time, but didn't Barc Plager play his career here? Regardless, your point is valid. It doesnt happen a lot.

MissouriMook wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:43 pm
Matangama wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:00 pm I wish people would shut the fuck up about Faulk. As stated above, it didn’t keep the Blues from making a very fair, big offer to Petro. He didn’t accept. So if Faulk wasn’t here, would the Faulk haters have wanted Army to go ahead and offer Petro $9 million per year for 8 years? Just because Army would have had more cap available without Faulk, would it have been smart to throw an even bigger offer at Petro, one that he would finally say yes to? Fuck no. I’m very glad they are not on the hook for the contract Vegas gave him.
This.

Faulk and his contract had nothing to do with Army not offering $9M a year, $40M in signing bonus and a full NMC. It was 100% due to internal budgeting and organizational philosophy. 0% Faulk. Full stop.
True. Bobby Orr would have had a difficult time getting the contract Petro insisted on.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:26 pm

If you're going to hate everyone who leaves, you're not going to be left with a lot of likable players.
You can love him if you want, that's your right.... I can dislike him if I want, that's my right.... end of story.
Nope, tell me you love him and say it like you mean it.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Was that because Backes wasn't as good as Pie -or- if we still had coach cake-eater would we have won with Pie minus Backes?

Backes as capt, Pie on D, Berube as coach we still win the cup.

It is of my opinion it is the coach that made the difference, not the captain.

With Faulk and his "bad contract" there's room for improvement and an ability to become a GREAT contract

With Pie and his "bad contract" there's ONLY room for regression.

To each their own, but I am totally stoked to see this team next year! I'm more excited now with Krug and Clifford!
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

In the same thread I'm having a conversation with someone about who can possibly fill Petro minutes, people are saying you could take him off the team and they win the cup because Chief was playing 30 minutes a night against top lines apparently. I truly love this place haha

How soon y'all forget.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:30 am In the same thread I'm having a conversation with someone about who can possibly fill Petro minutes, people are saying you could take him off the team and they win the cup because Chief was playing 30 minutes a night against top lines apparently. I truly love this place haha

How soon y'all forget.

I think what people are saying is that Petro isn't 2.5ish million dollars better than Krug and that his leadership skills aren't some kind of irreplaceable trait.
Shit we had a 29 page thread on this forum before the Cup run all about his LACK of leadership. It's not a coincidence that the team grew a set of nuts the moment Chief took over.
KA-KAW!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:30 am In the same thread I'm having a conversation with someone about who can possibly fill Petro minutes, people are saying you could take him off the team and they win the cup because Chief was playing 30 minutes a night against top lines apparently. I truly love this place haha

How soon y'all forget.

I think what people are saying is that Petro isn't 2.5ish million dollars better than Krug and that his leadership skills aren't some kind of irreplaceable trait.
Shit we had a 29 page thread on this forum before the Cup run all about his LACK of leadership. It's not a coincidence that the team grew a set of nuts the moment Chief took over.
KA-KAW!

BillP. wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:47 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:14 pm
BillP. wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:08 pm

I’m just trying to point out what an idiot he is cause I knew he didn’t do that. He is a moron. Good for Army he bailed on him. I’m sorry Army even tried to make it work. He should of left his 5 year offer on the table and be done with it.
Idk man, it seems like he did and you’re just not looking very hard to find evidence that he did what you’re criticizing him for not doing.

“As he moves on to Vegas, Petro salutes St. Louis and it’s fans”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/ ... 01704.html
This is just an interview and even here he doesn’t say Thank you to the fans or organization. No personal tweet out to STL or nothing. Nah, I’m glad he’s gone. Max offer and he still stiffed us. Whatever.
He doesn’t have a Twitter? Lol

This place is becoming asylum levels of nutty. Literally one of the best defensemen in the history of the St. Louis Blues (by all metrics, standard and advanced, and the most important one—winning!) is leaving and the amount of theories coming out about how this is actually good and he’s bad is just incredible.

The only reason this is “good” is that we aren’t saddled with a deal that could cripple us long-term.

MattyIce wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:54 am

How soon y'all forget.

The fact that he led the team to the Cup (yes I'm saying led, as he was the captain, had 19 points and the GWG in game 7) would seem to suggest that 29 page thread was just us as fans overexaggerating problems because we had a totally dysfunctional team. Also the fact that our "leadership issue" improved with Petro still on the team (and still the captain!) seems to suggest that it wasn't a problem with him. Do you guys really not remember Mike Yeo hockey? That dude was trying to play a man-to-man system and news outlets were writing articles about how dumb that is. Mike Yeo was pretty clearly the problem.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:01 am This place is becoming asylum levels of nutty. Literally one of the best defensemen in the history of the St. Louis Blues (by all metrics, standard and advanced, and the most important one—winning!) is leaving and the amount of theories coming out about how this is actually good and he’s bad is just incredible.

The only reason this is “good” is that we aren’t saddled with a deal that could cripple us long-term.
Well, that’s the good part for me (avoiding that shitty contract). There are some at the asylum that wanted him signed at any cost. That’s a recipe for disaster (signed, the Los Angeles Kings and San Jose Sharks). I’m thrilled that we didn’t sign him to that contract. We will miss him, but we will also benefit from having Krug. He isn’t a replacement for Petro, but he will clearly make our back line better offensively.

Hell, Petro concentrated much more on offense last year and we all saw it......maybe part of the game plan, as Parayko assumed more responsibility defensively, or maybe Petro trying to up his numbers in a contract year. As long as Parayko stays healthy, we’ll be fine, and Krug is a step up over Petro offensively,

How soon y'all forget.

If that were actually the case I've said as much that I agree the Blues are very much still a contender and I'm happy with the offseason.

But this thread has gone from, "no one on the SC team was replaceable" to "Berube did it all himself and they would've won with or without Petro"...Like people are so deadset on discrediting Petro that they've talked themselves into complete circles. It's super bizarre and stubborn.

How soon y'all forget.

I'll never forget Berube's Cup winning goal.

Once more, everyone was needed in that Cup run. Berube, Petro, ROR, and the most important person that hasn't ben mentioned in this thread much if at all..Jordan Binnington. When Berube took over they still kept putting up Ls for a while...until they found a guy that could stop pucks. That's not to discredit what Berube did, but this is revisionist history. It's a relapse into Petro was garbage as a leader because he didn't beat guys up. He was crucially important to that run.

Now having said all that, he's on another team now. He was never my absolute favorite player here, so it won't sting me personally seeing him on the other side of the ice like it did with some guys in the past (I'm still getting over Shanahan). But he was really really good here. The D won't be as good without him, but the team is still a contender. Guys on the back end can evolve and grow into new roles. I wish Petro good health, but can't wait to see Blais hammer him on the forecheck. Krug is going to be very fun to watch. The future is still bright, and hey, I always like a nice little roster shake up. I have no problem with fans feeling however they want to about Petro the Golden Knight, but I'll always respect Petro, Captain of the Blues.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:55 am
BillP. wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:47 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:14 pm

Idk man, it seems like he did and you’re just not looking very hard to find evidence that he did what you’re criticizing him for not doing.

“As he moves on to Vegas, Petro salutes St. Louis and it’s fans”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/ ... 01704.html
This is just an interview and even here he doesn’t say Thank you to the fans or organization. No personal tweet out to STL or nothing. Nah, I’m glad he’s gone. Max offer and he still stiffed us. Whatever.
He doesn’t have a Twitter? Lol
He's still an airhead

None of Petro's "I really wanted to stay here," means a damn thing to me. If it was important to him, he would have accepted a very fair offer from Army.
Suits me. He did elevate his game in his walk year.... (Imagine that.) But he made his choice, and there were enough holes in his game that I'm not in tears over it.
Moving on.

barnburner wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:03 pm None of Petro's "I really wanted to stay here," means a damn thing to me. If it was important to him, he would have accepted a very fair offer from Army.
Suits me. He did elevate his game in his walk year.... (Imagine that.) But he made his choice, and there were enough holes in his game that I'm not in tears over it.
Moving on.
Same here.

All I look at is are we a better team right now than we were before free agency? The answer is a hard no. Maybe Petro would have gone to shit in year 7 or 8 of the deal but we don't know that and frankly I care less about 7-8 years from now than I do the next 1-4. And right now the next few don't look that great. Hope I'm wrong and I don't blame Army for standing his ground but the team is not as good as it was last week.

Hey, fresh blood is a good thing. It’s damn near impossible to repeat as Cup champions, partly because of the physical grind it takes to win those 16 playoff games, but also because guys lose a little bit of that fire after winning. Is a Petro for Krug exchange a step down? Probably, at least it is somewhat from a defensive perspective. But it’s also a modest step up offensively. Plus we now added 2 driven, competitive “fresh blood” guys to the lineup. More importantly, we avoided a risky, big ass contract that could have ultimately cost us a chance to re-sign Parayko.