Re: Playoff qualifing games [other teams]

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:12 am The Kadri trade was bad but once you go all in on JT someone had to go. Kadri was the heart and soul of that team.
When they miraculously win the lottery tonight it’s going to make it very easy to move on from one of their forwards. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try and move Marner. I don’t know if moving Nylander or Kapanen really helps much. Adding Lafreniere though gives them a world of options though.
Faulk and a 3rd for Marner! Get it done Leery!!
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:01 am
BillP. wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:34 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:28 pm

Something needs to change there.
Yeah, it starts with the guy at the top. Shanahan derailed a promising young nucleus.
On the other hand there was no promising young nucleus until Shanahan arrived. Trade one of your forwards for D and take it from there.
Nah, anyone can sit back and let the draft roll and he rolled some good numbers. So now he had some toys and he decided to rush things. Signing Tavares and handicapping the roster was a bad move. You're handicapping your roster for the back half of a guy's career. Furthermore the team wasn't ready to contend but he wanted to rush it. The Marleau signing was extremely bad too. He fucked up and created a rubiks cube there.

BillP. wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:36 am

Yeah, it starts with the guy at the top. Shanahan derailed a promising young nucleus.
On the other hand there was no promising young nucleus until Shanahan arrived. Trade one of your forwards for D and take it from there.
Nah, anyone can sit back and let the draft roll and he rolled some good numbers. So now he had some toys and he decided to rush things. Signing Tavares and handicapping the roster was a bad move. You're handicapping your roster for the back half of a guy's career. Furthermore the team wasn't ready to contend but he wanted to rush it. The Marleau signing was extremely bad too. He fucked up and created a rubiks cube there.
You can't praise the skilled youth while without giving credit to the front office that created it. I agree that the Tavares money would've been better used elsewhere. The continued lack of attention given to acquiring any defenseman that gives a damn about what happens in their own end is incredibly problematic. Andersen is ok, but seems to have a knack for giving up softies in big games, which isn't ideal. Shanahan/Dubas's record is full of hits and misses, but you've gotta give credit for the hits. As Tim (I think) alluded to, change is needed. I think the easiest move is flipping Nylander for a defenseman. I think you can get a lot of value out of guy who scored 31 in 68 games this year and carries a cap hit of just under $7M. You could probably get a whopper of a haul for Marner, but I don't know if that's the route they want to go down.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

The Tavares signing definitely hurt their rebuild. They should fire the entire front office. Hextall would be a good fit there if they want to do it the right way.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:00 am

The Tavares signing definitely hurt their rebuild. They should fire the entire front office. Hextall would be a good fit there if they want to do it the right way.
What have the Flyers really done since Hextall left? I know they paid a boatload for Hayes............I mean, don't you think the Flyers would still be here if Hextall was there?

BillP. wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:39 am
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:00 am

What have the Flyers really done since Hextall left? I know they paid a boatload for Hayes............I mean, don't you think the Flyers would still be here if Hextall was there?
Fletcher hasn't done a ton since he came on board besides the Hayes signing, though it should be pointed out that fixed a huge problem for Philly. I might be mistaken, but I think part of the reason Hextall got fired was because he was reluctant to call up Carter Hart. Philly has had problems in net ever since Hextall was playing, and I think he had no appetite to rush the kid, even if he was clearly the best option. Given that the team wasn't nearly as good last year, I don't mind Hextall's thinking on that one.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes, but if I needed a GM to start a rebuild, Hextall would be one of my first calls.

Hextall was fired because he wouldn’t fire Dave Hakstol...who was then fired after Hextall. His vision when he took the job was to build through the draft and that’s why the Flyers hired him. Ownership got impatient and did their thing.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:12 am The Kadri trade was bad but once you go all in on JT someone had to go. Kadri was the heart and soul of that team.
When they miraculously win the lottery tonight it’s going to make it very easy to move on from one of their forwards. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try and move Marner. I don’t know if moving Nylander or Kapanen really helps much. Adding Lafreniere though gives them a world of options though.
I think the bolded is the way they go. If they can find a taker for him for futures at or before the draft, then I think that bodes poorly for Blues fans who want to bring back Petro. I think TOR throws $10M or more at Petro if they have Marner's cap space freed up.

I don't think Toronto can or will throw 10 million a year at Pietrangelo.

They currently sit at 75,708,533 at next season with 17 players signed. 9 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 2 goalies. Which mean, in theory, they have six spots to fill for the cost of 5.7 million and change. They already have three players making 10 million or more a season - they are not going to have a fourth.

I think you're going to see Toronto limp along for another year, and then you're going see huge moves.

Anderson and Hyman are UFA's after next year, Reilly is a UFA the following year, and then all of the forwards start falling off the next. Because the cap won't be going up (as a team like Toronto is begging for) they should make a commitment to rebuild within the next two years. They simply don't have the space to keep running out and signing guys like they have been.

Are we using this as the other teams playoff game thread? Who's ready to watch some 10 am playoff hockey? What a delightful bonus. I think the Canes are going to give Boston fits. The Bruins looked as disinterested as the Blues in the round robin, Pastrnak missed some time in camp with maaaaaaybe Covid? Watch out!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:09 am Are we using this as the other teams playoff game thread? Who's ready to watch some 10 am playoff hockey? What a delightful bonus. I think the Canes are going to give Boston fits. The Bruins looked as disinterested as the Blues in the round robin, Pastrnak missed some time in camp with maaaaaaybe Covid? Watch out!
Yeah, the 2 Cup Finalist haven't looked good yet. Still hoping Berube and Ott can pull these guys together and get them psyched again.

Lighting and Blue Jackets game was something else and Dallas showed they might give the Flames a battle after all. Hawks look like they might have 1 win in them against Vegas, if that. That's what was my prediction from the beginning.

BillP. wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:50 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:09 am Are we using this as the other teams playoff game thread? Who's ready to watch some 10 am playoff hockey? What a delightful bonus. I think the Canes are going to give Boston fits. The Bruins looked as disinterested as the Blues in the round robin, Pastrnak missed some time in camp with maaaaaaybe Covid? Watch out!
Yeah, the 2 Cup Finalist haven't looked good yet. Still hoping Berube and Ott can pull these guys together and get them psyched again.

Lighting and Blue Jackets game was something else and Dallas showed they might give the Flames a battle after all. Hawks look like they might have 1 win in them against Vegas, if that. That's what was my prediction from the beginning.
The CGY/DAL game was enjoyable. Very glad to see VGK handily beat CHI. Didn't see the CBJ/TB game, amazing to hear Korpisalo did so well.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:23 am
BillP. wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:50 am

The CGY/DAL game was enjoyable. Very glad to see VGK handily beat CHI. Didn't see the CBJ/TB game, amazing to hear Korpisalo did so well.
Yeah, they lose Bobrosky and their goaltending improved. Their other goalie Merzlikins is no joke. Hats off to Columbus for staying so tough despite losing all those free agents.

Re: Playoff games [other teams]

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:36 am Former Blue and SC Champion Joel Edmundson opens the scoring, Canes 1 - crybaby bears - 0
And Pastrnak ties it with a tough finish on a sweet feed from Marchand. The Bruins keep misfiring on passes on a few odd man rushes. If they dial it in I'm not going to feel so great about my Canes pick. But go Canes.

This Canes Bruins game is a lot of fun. Bruins score, but the Canes challenge play should've been blown dead (hand pass and puck being frozen by Mrazek were possible). Canes lose challenge and get delay of game penalty as a result. Then the Canes immediately score a shorthanded goal about 10 seconds later to tie it. This is the good stuff.

When Carolina loses this series, they will rightly ask themselves “why the fuck didn’t we go after Lehner as a free agent last summer when nobody was bidding on him”.

I want Carolina to win, but I just don’t think Mrazek is good enough, at least not good enough to win 16.

Matangama wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am When Carolina loses this series, they will rightly ask themselves “why the fuck didn’t we go after Lehner as a free agent last summer when nobody was bidding on him”.

I want Carolina to win, but I just don’t think Mrazek is good enough, at least not good enough to win 16.
Probably not, but as long as he wins 4 this series, I'll be happy :twisted: #FuckTheBruins
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:06 pm
Matangama wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:36 am When Carolina loses this series, they will rightly ask themselves “why the fuck didn’t we go after Lehner as a free agent last summer when nobody was bidding on him”.

Probably not, but as long as he wins 4 this series, I'll be happy :twisted: #FuckTheBruins
I’m 100% with you on that, bradley!