Re: Roenick suing NBC for Anti straight discrimination.

T.C. wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:31 am i was very confused by this thread initially. "roenick sues NBC", i thought - great! he was fired for a bullshit reason. but then "for anti-straight discrimination" - this sounds like entirely the wrong reason. he would never win that, especially considering he made jokes about tappen and sharp in the same segment for which he was fired. but then i read the article, which it sounds like some of you haven't:
Roenick’s lawsuit states that figure skating commentator Johnny Weir made “colorful commentary” about skaters’ body parts for NBC Sports during the 2018 Winter Olympics, and when Roenick asked his supervisor about that, the supervisor responded that Weir “is gay and can say whatever.” Roenick’s suit also points to a promotional video featuring Weir and on-air partner Tara Lipinski that included vulgar language; Weir and Lipinski were not suspended or fired.

Roenick also claims that he was fired because the network was retaliating against him for his support of President Donald Trump. When he asked for permission to speak at the 2016 Republican National Convention, he alleges he was told: “You know who you work for. You work for NBC. That would not look good on your NBC record.”
he's absolutely right in that first paragraph, and if the second paragraph is true, that's incredibly sad and he absolutely has cause to do this. good for him. i hope he wins and the award fucking hurts NBC.
If Roenick wants to go speak for the GOP he can breach his contract and get fired for what I am sure is a proviso in his contract that alludes to proper behavior of someone that would be employed by NBC. You don't get to go wide and make your co-workers uncomfortable. I don't care what anyone else did in fucking figure skating, I don't watch it, I don't care about it, and it is about god damned time a gay man and a woman get to act like a white straight man and get away with it! (looking at you snowflakes that are bringing up Weir and Lapinski)

Y'all pro "free speech for me but not for y'all" folk better hope Roenick gets a Trump sympathetic judge or jury (if it even goes that far) other wise he'll be crying into his cereal and shit posting on Gab in no time.

Shit I came back because hockey was coming back, not this bullshit.

This grab bag of political bullshitery belongs in OT, because Roenick is not hockey, Roenick got fired and canceled from hockey end of story. He is not hockey, and any of you that want to share his opinions here show me how little of y'all I should think.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 am
T.C. wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:31 am i was very confused by this thread initially. "roenick sues NBC", i thought - great! he was fired for a bullshit reason. but then "for anti-straight discrimination" - this sounds like entirely the wrong reason. he would never win that, especially considering he made jokes about tappen and sharp in the same segment for which he was fired. but then i read the article, which it sounds like some of you haven't:
Roenick’s lawsuit states that figure skating commentator Johnny Weir made “colorful commentary” about skaters’ body parts for NBC Sports during the 2018 Winter Olympics, and when Roenick asked his supervisor about that, the supervisor responded that Weir “is gay and can say whatever.” Roenick’s suit also points to a promotional video featuring Weir and on-air partner Tara Lipinski that included vulgar language; Weir and Lipinski were not suspended or fired.

Roenick also claims that he was fired because the network was retaliating against him for his support of President Donald Trump. When he asked for permission to speak at the 2016 Republican National Convention, he alleges he was told: “You know who you work for. You work for NBC. That would not look good on your NBC record.”
he's absolutely right in that first paragraph, and if the second paragraph is true, that's incredibly sad and he absolutely has cause to do this. good for him. i hope he wins and the award fucking hurts NBC.
If Roenick wants to go speak for the GOP he can breach his contract and get fired for what I am sure is a proviso in his contract that alludes to proper behavior of someone that would be employed by NBC. You don't get to go wide and make your co-workers uncomfortable. I don't care what anyone else did in fucking figure skating, I don't watch it, I don't care about it, and it is about god damned time a gay man and a woman get to act like a white straight man and get away with it! (looking at you snowflakes that are bringing up Weir and Lapinski)

Y'all pro "free speech for me but not for y'all" folk better hope Roenick gets a Trump sympathetic judge or jury (if it even goes that far) other wise he'll be crying into his cereal and shit posting on Gab in no time.

This grab bag of political bullshitery belongs in OT, because Roenick is not hockey, Roenick got fired and canceled from hockey end of story. He is not hockey, and any of you that want to share his opinions here show me how little of y'all I should think.
This, but louder!

"The gay guy got away with it but I didnt" boooofuckinghoo

JR's been a whiny bitch his whole life, this is him staying on brand. He is anything but a hero or a voice of reason and logic.
Just a Russian propaganda account

So I looked into the Johnny Weir stuff. A google search of "Johnny Weir Controversy" or something along those lines only brought up links to the Roenick article. In the promotional video they discuss, Weir doesn't say anything particularly off color, and crucially never mentions wanting to fuck any co-workers. Now to be fair, is it possible Roenick and Weir would've been treated differently if they'd done the exact same thing? Absolutely. The reason? Johnny Weir is incredibly popular and good at his job, and Roenick was the opposite.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 am

Tappen is/was friends with him and his wife. She wasn’t upset about it until NBC and the SJW group told her to be upset about it. Same thing with the Pierre McGuire and Kendall Coyne-Schofield incident.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 am I don't care what anyone else did in fucking figure skating, I don't watch it, I don't care about it, and it is about god damned time a gay man and a woman get to act like a white straight man and get away with it! (looking at you snowflakes that are bringing up Weir and Lapinski)
that would be roenick. i don't recall anyone here bringing it up. but yes, that is exactly the point - consistency across the board. or none at all.
Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 am Y'all pro "free speech for me but not for y'all" folk better hope Roenick gets a Trump sympathetic judge or jury (if it even goes that far) other wise he'll be crying into his cereal and shit posting on Gab in no time.
again, it's about consistency, not switching which group of people gets ganged up on. i can't tell by this comment which group of people you're trying to goad. nor do i care. as i said, if someone was fired from their place of employment due to political beliefs, that is sad, and more importantly, unconstitutional and protected by law. it is a strong allegation and should be investigated. he has every right to pursue.
Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:19 am Shit I came back because hockey was coming back, not this bullshit.

your opinion has been considered. however, this is absolutely hockey-related. it centers around roenick - a top-ten draft pick, 9-time all star, 1200+ point-scoring NHL player. should you not care about this topic or not want to read it, there is a simple solution - don't click on it. this concept seems to be lost on the majority of people today. not everything being discussed requires your input or a response.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:18 pm What were Weir's comments? Did he speak of having a threesome with his coworker? Since this is the basis for the JR defense it seems important...
The point in question is someone in power telling JR that Weir as a gay man can say whatever he wants and get away with it but JR can not. That’s the problem here.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:23 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:18 pm What were Weir's comments? Did he speak of having a threesome with his coworker? Since this is the basis for the JR defense it seems important...
The point in question is someone in power telling JR that Weir as a gay man can say whatever he wants and get away with it but JR can not. That’s the problem here.
So we don't know the context/validity/seriousness of that conversation or if it was really even said. Great.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:27 pm
So we don't know the context/validity/seriousness of that conversation or if it was really even said. Great.
I’m sure JR did all his homework here before his lawyer would agree to it.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:53 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:27 pm

I’m sure JR did all his homework here before his lawyer would agree to it.

Are you suggesting lawyers are upstanding and don't take on weak cases just for rich client money?

Putting your trust in JR and a lawyer is quite the limb to stand on, my friend.

T.C. wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:35 pmthat would be roenick. i don't recall anyone here bringing it up. but yes, that is exactly the point - consistency across the board. or none at all.
Much like the ideological inconsistencies of many decades of white over-privileged men saying horrible things and their targets instead getting punished when they spoke up?
T.C. wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:35 pm again, it's about consistency, not switching which group of people gets ganged up on. i can't tell by this comment which group of people you're trying to goad. nor do i care. as i said, if someone was fired from their place of employment due to political beliefs, that is sad, and more importantly, unconstitutional and protected by law. it is a strong allegation and should be investigated. he has every right to pursue.
I'm not trying to goad you, if you think you are goaded, maybe you should take a step back and take a breath.

NBC is not required to let Roenick spew the hate of the GOP. Since you want to throw "unconstitutional" around, how about you share your reasoning as to why his employer has to be OK with that, because that's not in the constitution. He is not protected from the repercussions of his speech for the GOP or against Tappen. NBC doesn't have to act on anyone if they don't want to. No one is taking away Roenick's rights, he can still go and speak at to the GOP, they're (NBC) just not going to give him a platform from which to work from.
T.C. wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:35 pm your opinion has been considered. however, this is absolutely hockey-related. it centers around roenick - a top-ten draft pick, 9-time all star, 1200+ point-scoring NHL player. should you not care about this topic or not want to read it, there is a simple solution - don't click on it. this concept seems to be lost on the majority of people today. not everything being discussed requires your input or a response.
Dear constitutional scholar, you have a platform on which I still may have a platform to share my opinion. Or is it "free speech for me but not for thee?"

You can defend Roenick's misgivings all you want, and I can debate you all I want.

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:59 pm
ratonmono wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:47 pm Are we really sure JR did his homework? Dude's a moron.
What makes him a moron? Because he played for the Blackhawks? Was he the best in studio analyst...no but he did it for a long time. He was better than many others that’s for sure.
I’ve listened to him talk observed his actions and that’s my assessment. I mean he picked up a rattlesnake for no good reason showing zero respect for a highly dangerous animal, also trying to grapple alligators on a golf course. He’s a classic Peter Pan douche who luckily for him has avoided the worst consequences for some incredibly irresponsible actions. He ran his mouth one too many times and it finally bit him. I feel zero sympathy for the man. Clearly he’s not the brightest bulb and his analysis was always terrible on top of everything. Ultimately this silly lawsuit will settle out of court and JR can start a podcast where he can be himself and say whatever he wants.

T.C. wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:11 am
Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:37 pm Much like the ideological inconsistencies of many decades of white over-privileged men...
i was going to respond to your comments, but you started with this neon sign that we are incapable of having an actual conversation about this. so, welcome back i guess?
Are you implying that his statement is inaccurate and therefor leaves no grounds for discussion?

about how roenick is a dipshit and wasn't a particularly good analyst and constantly chased the "viral" moment, embarrassing himself and anyone around him whenever possible? definitely. but he was also a nigh-HOF player. if he hadn't have gotten behind the mic, we could enjoy him ala brett hull. but, he did, and shattered the illusion, or confirmed your ideas about him, depending on your POV.

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:51 am I don’t get the hate on Roenick...he’s a Hawk...that’s what drives it. Dude was a great player that jokingly said something just for laughs on a freaking podcast and angered social justice warriors everywhere. This is where we are as a country.
Jokingly things are generally supposed to be funny and not about banging your coworkers on a popular podcast. If that's all the material he has and thinks is appropriate, he shouldn't have a job with a mic anyway. It's not about angering people, it's about being held accountable for your actions.

Tappan could have easily come out and said, "JR and I are friends and I didn't take offense to his comments and I know his sense of humor and joking manner in private conversations outside of work. We make similar jokes back and forth all the time"

But she didn't. Consequences of actions.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 am
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:51 am I don’t get the hate on Roenick...he’s a Hawk...that’s what drives it. Dude was a great player that jokingly said something just for laughs on a freaking podcast and angered social justice warriors everywhere. This is where we are as a country.
Jokingly things are generally supposed to be funny and not about banging your coworkers on a popular podcast. If that's all the material he has and thinks is appropriate, he shouldn't have a job with a mic anyway. It's not about angering people, it's about being held accountable for your actions.

Tappan could have easily come out and said, "JR and I are friends and I didn't take offense to his comments and I know his sense of humor and joking manner in private conversations outside of work. We make similar jokes back and forth all the time"

Roenick has never said anything like that when working . He’s always been professional. He made a mistake on a podcast , he wasn’t thinking anything of the sort of it being offensive because that wasn’t his intent. He was just trying to be a funny guest on a freaking podcast. Live and learn but unfortunately we live in a cancel culture society.
Tappen was totally controlled by NBC In how she was told to handle it.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:59 am

Roenick has never said anything like that when working . He’s always been professional. He made a mistake on a podcast , he wasn’t thinking anything of the sort of it being offensive because that wasn’t his intent. He was just trying to be a funny guest on a freaking podcast. Live and learn but unfortunately we live in a cancel culture society.
Tappen was totally controlled by NBC In how she was told to handle it.
Your entire point and reply is based 100% off assumptions. Every part of it.

We don't know how he was in the work place
We don't know what he was thinking or not thinking
We don't know what NBC told Tappen to say or not say

What we do know is what he said
What we do know is what she said

So we can deal with assumptions or we can deal with facts. Generally in a lawsuit, the facts are what will matter.

Edit: That podcast has had countless guest over the years and never has a guest had the issues with being funny on the show like JR did.