All Time Blues Roster

In his recent mailbag article, JR was asked to put together a roster of all time Blues greats. The premise was to consider the player in their prime, even if that prime was with another team. That means you're getting 200 point season Gretzky not the still very good, but also recently concussed just over a point per game Gretzky we watched wear the Blue Note. Perfect exercise for the quarantine. This sounds crazy since most of them are in the Hall of Fame, but I think the forwards might be the weak link on this team. Note: he didn't divide the forwards into LW/C/RW. With that kind of talent they'd probably figure it out.
Forwards: Wayne Gretzky, Brett Hull, Bernie Federko, Paul Kariya, Adam Oates, Keith Tkachuk, Peter Stastny, Joey Mullen, Dickie Moore, Brendan Shanahan, Doug Gilmour and Dale Hawerchuk.

Defensemen: Al MacInnis, Chris Pronger, Doug Harvey, Scott Stevens, Guy LaPointe and Phil Housley.

Goalies: Glenn Hall and Martin Brodeur.

Coaching staff: Scotty Bowman, with assistants Al Arbour, Joel Quenneville and Ken Hitchcock.
I think the craziest thing to me is that you could create a B-Team that would have Jaques Plante and Grant Fuhr in net. Anybody want to take a crack at this? That group looks like an extremely fun team to watch. As always this conversation was made a lot less depressing last June 12.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: All Time Blues Roster

I don't like it. Gretzky, Hawerchuk, who was done when he came here, Kariya, Stastny, Brodeur, Housley, who was a flop here, none of these guys belong on the team. Should be real Blues that played and performed at a high level here in St. Louis. Stevens only played 1 year but his impact was immeasurable. You can put him on here. Kariya played great elsewhere, but not here. Does not belong IMO. Oops, just saw Guy LaPointe on here too - WTF.................he should have 2 rosters. A dream team which you could call this if you can't resist the temptation of picking these guys and a true Blues roster that will have true Blues on it like Unger, Sutter, Plagers, etc.

BillP. wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am I don't like it. Gretzky, Hawerchuk, who was done when he came here, Kariya, Stastny, Brodeur, Housley, who was a flop here, none of these guys belong on the team. Should be real Blues that played and performed at a high level here in St. Louis. Stevens only played 1 year but his impact was immeasurable. You can put him on here. Kariya played great elsewhere, but not here. Does not belong IMO. Oops, just saw Guy LaPointe on here too - WTF.................he should have 2 rosters. A dream team which you could call this if you can't resist the temptation of picking these guys and a true Blues roster that will have true Blues on it like Unger, Sutter, Plagers, etc.
The question asked him to put it together at the player's peak. None of them are being enshrined in the Blues Hall of Fame, it's just a fun mailbag question.

Well if it’s to put them at their peak...how the hell is Mike Liut not on this list? What about Brian Sutter and Garry Unger? I guess everybody is doing heroin these days...even JR
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:07 pm Well if it’s to put them at their peak...how the hell is Mike Liut not on this list? What about Brian Sutter and Garry Unger? I guess everybody is doing heroin these days...even JR
Everybody's got a good heroin guy.

I'd throw Twist or Chaser on there. With all that skill you need somebody to keep them in line just in case, while at the same time not demanding a ton of ice time to take away from said skill guys. Hell throw Reaves on the list and let him just hit people on the forecheck.

Fuck it, I'm back. Here's my shit, using guys that actually played here for at least one+ season:

Courtnall Oates Hull
Tkachuk Federko Demitra
B. Sutter O'Reilly Oshie
Steen Brind'Amour Drake
extras: Ronnie Sutter, SunnyD

Pronger Macinnis
Stevens Pietrangelo
Barc Plager Bouwmeester
Extra: Bob Plager

Liut
Fuhr

I wish I could fit Binnington, Turgeon or Tarasenko in but otherwise I'd take that squad into a seven game series against anybody.

I say divvy it up. Make 2 lists of true Blues players. And then when done, you could compare which team is stronger.

You’d have one team 67 thru 95 and then the 2nd team 95 to current.

In my opinion, the 67-95 squad would be stronger at the forward position. You’d have Hull, Oates, Gilmour, and you could probably fit in great players like Lefley and Sanderson as well. And of course other great Blues like Unger, Federko, Sutter, Mullen, makes the team.
No doubt in my mind the group of forwards you could put together from this time frame wins out.

And then the 95 to current roster would be stronger at the D position as both Pronger and Chopper would be on that list.

67-95

Sutter...........Federko.............Mullen
Shanahan..........Oates...........Hull
Turnbull............Gilmour.........Hunter
Lefley................Unger............Babych
Zezel............Sanderson...........Berenson

Stevens...............Brown
Gassoff................Ramage
B Plager.............B Plager

Hall
Liut
Joseph

95-Current

Demitra..............Turgeon.............Young
Tkachuk.............Backes............Oshie
Steen...............McDonald.........Mellanby
Schwartz..........Schenn.............Tarasenko
Berglund...........ROR..................Perron

Pronger..............Pietrangelo
Bouwmeester............MacInnis
Parayko..............Shattenkirk

Fuhr
Binnington
Elliot

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 am Ya'll putting Bouwmeester over Barrett Jackman on an all-time Blues list makes me want to physically fight.
Bouwmeesters's Blues legacy is winning a cup and then almost dying on the bench in a game. He will be forever immortalized as a great Blues player. Jackman's legacy......he decided he wasn't done and played a year for the mustard wearing turds 4 hours southeast of here and then decided he was done. He tarnished his own legacy here playing one year for a divisional rival. Fuck Tiger Woods, Fuck Lance Armstrong and Fuck Barrett Jackman....I'm tired of that asshole. :lol:
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

BillP. wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am I don't like it. Gretzky, Hawerchuk, who was done when he came here, Kariya, Stastny, Brodeur, Housley, who was a flop here, none of these guys belong on the team. Should be real Blues that played and performed at a high level here in St. Louis. Stevens only played 1 year but his impact was immeasurable. You can put him on here. Kariya played great elsewhere, but not here. Does not belong IMO. Oops, just saw Guy LaPointe on here too - WTF.................he should have 2 rosters. A dream team which you could call this if you can't resist the temptation of picking these guys and a true Blues roster that will have true Blues on it like Unger, Sutter, Plagers, etc.
Agreed. I'm very much against guys who despite their success elsewhere, were pretty much ordinary while wearing the Note. I've also had a personal rule that any all-time Blues roster should be made up from players who played a minimum of three seasons here, eliminating guys like Stevens.
Jmo

barnburner wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:03 pm
I've also had a personal rule that any all-time Blues roster should be made up from players who played a minimum of three seasons here, eliminating guys like Stevens.
Jmo
That’s probably the right way to do it.