St Louis sports radio shakeup

#1
Bernie out at the home of the Blues 101.1espn.

I legit use to enjoy him but the last couple years he was unlistenable radio.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/l ... 21ee3.html

Karraker is set to move from afternoon drive-time to the 7-10 a.m. weekday spot that Mikasz filled. Karraker will work with Michelle Smallmon, who has been in that slot.

• Anthony Stalter, who has been a member of the midday team, is to take Karraker’s place on the 2-6 p.m. program. He’ll join holdovers Brad Thompson and Chris Rongey.

Cardinals television play-by-play announcer Dan McLaughlin, who has been a contributor for 101.1 FM, will become a host. He'll help fill the midday vacancy by being on from 10-11 a.m., and said he “absolutely” will have enough time to keep doing that show after baseball returns from its coronavirus-fueled shutdown.

• Jamie Rivers, who had been working with Stalter, now will team with Brandon Kiley from 11 o’clock-2 p.m. Kiley primarily had been working behind the scenes.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#3
MattyIce wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:40 am
I used to like Bernie, but when he was calling everyone "chicken littles" about the Rams moving a few years ago, he lost me as a listener. That being said, I wonder if he will resurface on 590AM
I think I remember reading a big time mea culpa from him on that subject. He just got burned by somebody inside the organization. I don't get to listen to STL radio much anymore, but when I am there I always love listening to the Fast Lane. Karraker and Thompson are great together, so I hope Thompson finds that chemistry with Stalter.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#7
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:17 am
I never really liked Bernie. That says, losing a job blows so hopefully he finds work somewhere.

One thing I'll say about the guy is he certainly was never afraid to say what he thought, even if it ended up making him look bad in the process.

I've always enjoyed him more as a writer than a talker, so hopefully he can invest more time into his The Athletic gig.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#8
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 9:41 am
I was never a fan of his attitude, but he's go some decent chops - member of the Baseball Writers Association of America - in addition, he also is a member of the Pro Football selection committee, and the Heisman committee.
I agree on the attitude. I always thought the internet venue changed him. When he was strictly a writer, he was pretty much class all the way. But when the internet interaction started being the main piece of dialogue, he got bad and it carried to his radio show. I thought on the radio he was only worth listening to when it was about the Rams and football. Other than that, it wasn't very good.

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#9
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:14 am
Bernie out at the home of the Blues 101.1espn.

I legit use to enjoy him but the last couple years he was unlistenable radio.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/l ... 21ee3.html

Karraker is set to move from afternoon drive-time to the 7-10 a.m. weekday spot that Mikasz filled. Karraker will work with Michelle Smallmon, who has been in that slot.

• Anthony Stalter, who has been a member of the midday team, is to take Karraker’s place on the 2-6 p.m. program. He’ll join holdovers Brad Thompson and Chris Rongey.

Cardinals television play-by-play announcer Dan McLaughlin, who has been a contributor for 101.1 FM, will become a host. He'll help fill the midday vacancy by being on from 10-11 a.m., and said he “absolutely” will have enough time to keep doing that show after baseball returns from its coronavirus-fueled shutdown.

• Jamie Rivers, who had been working with Stalter, now will team with Brandon Kiley from 11 o’clock-2 p.m. Kiley primarily had been working behind the scenes.
So was he dismissed or did Bernie leave on his own? Poor ratings?

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#12
BillP. wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:24 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:14 am
Bernie out at the home of the Blues 101.1espn.

I legit use to enjoy him but the last couple years he was unlistenable radio.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/l ... 21ee3.html

Karraker is set to move from afternoon drive-time to the 7-10 a.m. weekday spot that Mikasz filled. Karraker will work with Michelle Smallmon, who has been in that slot.

• Anthony Stalter, who has been a member of the midday team, is to take Karraker’s place on the 2-6 p.m. program. He’ll join holdovers Brad Thompson and Chris Rongey.

Cardinals television play-by-play announcer Dan McLaughlin, who has been a contributor for 101.1 FM, will become a host. He'll help fill the midday vacancy by being on from 10-11 a.m., and said he “absolutely” will have enough time to keep doing that show after baseball returns from its coronavirus-fueled shutdown.

• Jamie Rivers, who had been working with Stalter, now will team with Brandon Kiley from 11 o’clock-2 p.m. Kiley primarily had been working behind the scenes.
So was he dismissed or did Bernie leave on his own? Poor ratings?
I believe he was fired. Wasn't he dealing with some personal issues? I thought I read an article over the winter that he wasn't writing much, particularly for the Athletic because he was battling depression in some capacity.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#13
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 pm
BillP. wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:24 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 8:14 am
Bernie out at the home of the Blues 101.1espn.

I legit use to enjoy him but the last couple years he was unlistenable radio.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/other/l ... 21ee3.html

Karraker is set to move from afternoon drive-time to the 7-10 a.m. weekday spot that Mikasz filled. Karraker will work with Michelle Smallmon, who has been in that slot.

• Anthony Stalter, who has been a member of the midday team, is to take Karraker’s place on the 2-6 p.m. program. He’ll join holdovers Brad Thompson and Chris Rongey.

Cardinals television play-by-play announcer Dan McLaughlin, who has been a contributor for 101.1 FM, will become a host. He'll help fill the midday vacancy by being on from 10-11 a.m., and said he “absolutely” will have enough time to keep doing that show after baseball returns from its coronavirus-fueled shutdown.

• Jamie Rivers, who had been working with Stalter, now will team with Brandon Kiley from 11 o’clock-2 p.m. Kiley primarily had been working behind the scenes.
So was he dismissed or did Bernie leave on his own? Poor ratings?
I believe he was fired. Wasn't he dealing with some personal issues? I thought I read an article over the winter that he wasn't writing much, particularly for the Athletic because he was battling depression in some capacity.
Holy Cow, I'm surprised to hear that and I feel sorry for him now. I wonder what happened to him. He really is a good guy, a great guy actually. That's too bad.

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#15
BillP. wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 pm
BillP. wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:24 pm


So was he dismissed or did Bernie leave on his own? Poor ratings?
I believe he was fired. Wasn't he dealing with some personal issues? I thought I read an article over the winter that he wasn't writing much, particularly for the Athletic because he was battling depression in some capacity.
Holy Cow, I'm surprised to hear that and I feel sorry for him now. I wonder what happened to him. He really is a good guy, a great guy actually. That's too bad.
Good guy, terrible father.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#16
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 am
BillP. wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:53 pm
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:36 pm


I believe he was fired. Wasn't he dealing with some personal issues? I thought I read an article over the winter that he wasn't writing much, particularly for the Athletic because he was battling depression in some capacity.
Holy Cow, I'm surprised to hear that and I feel sorry for him now. I wonder what happened to him. He really is a good guy, a great guy actually. That's too bad.
Good guy, terrible father.
Well I don't know the man to say enough about what kind of father he is that but I heard at one time his daughter was a pole dancer or maybe a suicide girl model or something.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#17
NHLTIM wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 am
BillP. wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:53 pm


Holy Cow, I'm surprised to hear that and I feel sorry for him now. I wonder what happened to him. He really is a good guy, a great guy actually. That's too bad.
Good guy, terrible father.
Well I don't know the man to say enough about what kind of father he is that but I heard at one time his daughter was a pole dancer or maybe a suicide girl model or something.
Yeah, maybe Bernie had some issues. I thought it was odd on a radio show that................I forgot what it was he compared it to...............it might of been the NFL draft............but he compared something to an Awards Porn Show................I forgot what phrase he used, and his partner on the show was like .....what?................so yeah, maybe Bernie had some issues going on..............

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#18
NHLTIM wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 am
BillP. wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 1:53 pm


Holy Cow, I'm surprised to hear that and I feel sorry for him now. I wonder what happened to him. He really is a good guy, a great guy actually. That's too bad.
Good guy, terrible father.
Well I don't know the man to say enough about what kind of father he is that but I heard at one time his daughter was a pole dancer or maybe a suicide girl model or something.
More research into this is needed.

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#19
BluesSK wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am
NHLTIM wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:12 am
Good guy, terrible father.
Well I don't know the man to say enough about what kind of father he is that but I heard at one time his daughter was a pole dancer or maybe a suicide girl model or something.
More research into this is needed.
Or MAYBE just move on. This convo is going nowhere good. Give the man his privacy to deal with whatever demons he may have visiting him.

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#20
JMC-STL wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:17 am
BluesSK wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am
NHLTIM wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am

Well I don't know the man to say enough about what kind of father he is that but I heard at one time his daughter was a pole dancer or maybe a suicide girl model or something.
More research into this is needed.
Or MAYBE just move on. This convo is going nowhere good. Give the man his privacy to deal with whatever demons he may have visiting him.
It's a forum...this is what we do, we discuss stuff....now you know this.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#22
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am
By the way, can I just say Jamie Rivers is absolutely terrible when trying to talk anything other than hockey. He needs to be an occasional guest of a show to talk hockey. Not have his own damn show.
I sat one seat behind and to the left of his wife Shannon in an accounting class in high school. I failed that class because all I did was stare at her.... :lol:
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: St Louis sports radio shakeup

#25
NHLTIM wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:29 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 10:25 am
By the way, can I just say Jamie Rivers is absolutely terrible when trying to talk anything other than hockey. He needs to be an occasional guest of a show to talk hockey. Not have his own damn show.
I sat one seat behind and to the left of his wife Shannon in an accounting class in high school. I failed that class because all I did was stare at her.... :lol:
:lol: The man has a blessed life
Just a Klim Kostin fan account