Re: Hockey is for everyone

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:51 am But seriously...hockey isn't for everyone. If you weren't born in January or your parents can't afford to have you on a travel team....then you are SOL.
Well...I agree about the "Hockey isn't for everyone" but I think you and I would be talking about that on two different scenarios. In your scenario above though, and I'm talking about the local hockey scene here where many former Blues are involved. If a kid is good enough to play on those teams, those former Alumni will make sure he plays regardless of that kids parent's financial difficulties.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:20 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:51 am But seriously...hockey isn't for everyone. If you weren't born in January or your parents can't afford to have you on a travel team....then you are SOL.
Well...I agree about the "Hockey isn't for everyone" but I think you and I would be talking about that on two different scenarios. In your scenario above though, and I'm talking about the local hockey scene here where many former Blues are involved. If a kid is good enough to play on those teams, those former Alumni will make sure he plays regardless of that kids parent's financial difficulties.
We do have a unique situation here with the former pros taking such an interest in youth development. I have a friend with a kid playing house hockey locally and it is great, but there is still an insidious nature to the parents and how they try to manipulate the system for their children.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:23 am
We do have a unique situation here with the former pros taking such an interest in youth development. I have a friend with a kid playing house hockey locally and it is great, but there is still an insidious nature to the parents and how they try to manipulate the system for their children.
It's the same in all select/travel sports. My youngest played select soccer from age 6-14 and by select...we paid the $800 a year fee for him to play. From age 9-14 he was on the "A" team of his age group at a well known soccer program in St. Charles. The parents of the kids that were on the "B" team complained during his last year and threatened to sue the soccer club....after all they were paying the same amount of money as the parents of kids on the "A" team. It got the point where the the parents also sort of segregated themselves into two classes...."A" parents sat together...."B" parents sat together. At that point I had enough and my son had decided he had played long enough and wasn't interested in playing anymore so we walked away.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

I beg to differ hockey is for everyone, it might be with the right pedigree or wealthy benefactors donating thousands ayear. Unfortunately most parents don't have the where with all to pack up and take off to Toronto for a tournament or every 6 months out growing skates,broken sticks to be replaced. So it sounds quaint but I call bullshit.

I’m curious as to who you think hockey isn’t for.

Scruffy wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:26 am
How about people that don't like hockey for starters? It all depends on your view of the statement.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 am

How about people that don't like hockey for starters? It all depends on your view of the statement.
lol. Fair enough.

Though, I don’t think that Hockey is for Everyone is necessarily trying to force hockey into people who don’t like it.

I think the general context for this campaign is that hockey has traditionally been played and enjoyed by a a specific demographic, and so the NHL is attempting to expand the appeal to groups who may not have been stereotypical “hockey people” in the past (such as women, people who are disabled, or or their minorities).

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:40 am

lol. Fair enough.

Though, I don’t think that Hockey is for Everyone is necessarily trying to force hockey onto people who don’t like it.

I think the general context for this campaign is that hockey has traditionally been played and enjoyed by a a specific demographic, and so the NHL is attempting to expand the appeal to groups who may not have been stereotypical “hockey people” in the past (such as women, people who are disabled, or other minorities).
Last edited by Scruffy on Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sadly, hockey is likely the most exclusionary sport here in Canada right now. It drives me crazy how expensive we’ve let the sport get and how such a big percentage of parents don’t seem to understand that. To play IP hockey up here now (ages 7-9ish) you have to spend money over and above ice time costs to get the kids track suits, and hats etc. that doesn’t even factor in the pressure to do spring and summer hockey, and do individual skill practices.

Not just a hockey problem, but the base costs of hockey just naturally start higher than other team sports so additional costs just make it that much more exclusive to people who can afford it.

Minor hockey is being ruined, and it pisses me off.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 pm Hockey is for everyone with a lot of disposable income.
Hockey is the worst in that regard, but the other stores are trying hard to catch up. I've got two granddaughters playing softball. The amount of money their parents have to shell out to fund their sport is obscene.

barnburner wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:25 pm Hockey is for everyone with a lot of disposable income.
Hockey is the worst in that regard, but the other stores are trying hard to catch up. I've got two granddaughters playing softball. The amount of money their parents have to shell out to fund their sport is obscene.
Youth sports seem to be polluted with high costs and toxic parents trying to live through their kids.