Re: Austin Rueschhoff

ratonmono wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:59 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:25 pm
ratonmono wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:05 pm Congrats to the kid! I used to like the Rangers back in the Leetch/Messier/Graves/Richter 94 era.
You know Brian Leetch may be my best personal example of an all-time great I didn't really appreciate in his time. He obviously put up gaudy numbers and doesn't have any free space in his trophy case, but being in the Eastern Conference in the pre-Center Ice/NHL.tv days, I didn't see a ton of him. A couple of years ago however, I caught a replay of the 1996 World Cup of Hockey Final between the US and Canada. It was absurd how effortlessly he could just cruise the puck from behind his own net, through the neutral zone and into other team's end. Rules were different and all that, but I feel like he'd just absolutely dominate today.
Yeah they were on espn a decent amount and that cup run was incredible. That was when my fandom was cemented honestly. I was more of an nba kid before that run. Prime Bure vs prime Richter. Didn’t get much better than that. And yeah Leetch was just one of the smoothest skaters, and had such a great head for the game.
That penalty shot save...
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Austin Rueschhoff

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 pm
ratonmono wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:59 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:25 pm

You know Brian Leetch may be my best personal example of an all-time great I didn't really appreciate in his time. He obviously put up gaudy numbers and doesn't have any free space in his trophy case, but being in the Eastern Conference in the pre-Center Ice/NHL.tv days, I didn't see a ton of him. A couple of years ago however, I caught a replay of the 1996 World Cup of Hockey Final between the US and Canada. It was absurd how effortlessly he could just cruise the puck from behind his own net, through the neutral zone and into other team's end. Rules were different and all that, but I feel like he'd just absolutely dominate today.
Yeah they were on espn a decent amount and that cup run was incredible. That was when my fandom was cemented honestly. I was more of an nba kid before that run. Prime Bure vs prime Richter. Didn’t get much better than that. And yeah Leetch was just one of the smoothest skaters, and had such a great head for the game.
That penalty shot save...
Oh hell yeah!

I remember around 2001 (maybe 2002?) the Blues were rumored to be in on Richter and/or Leetch. Never happened obviously but I would have loved to have seen the 2001 series vs the Avs if we had Leetch and Richter in there.

Pronger/Mac/Leetch vs Blake/Bourque/Foote
Richter vs Roy
Turgeon/Tkachuk/Demitra/Young vs Sakic/Drury/Hejduk/Forsberg (I realize Forsberg was hurt this is my fantasy damn it)