Play Commissioner

Ok I'm bored with the virus talk and want to talk some hockey.

You are commissioner of the NHL and can make any changes you want to the league whether it be rules or schedules or anything under the sun. What do you change?

Here a few of mine in no particular order:

- Fix the icing. Icing is brutal right now. How in the hell do you race to a dot? At least put a line going through the faceoff dots so that they can race to a line and you can clearly see who wins the race. I'm actually for just calling it icing once the puck crosses the end line and not even having a race.

- More divisional games. I don't even care to see every Eastern Conference team. Maybe you play one of the Eastern divisions at home and one on the road and then swap the year after. Then the extra games goes within your division.

- Lose the trapezoids. Let the goalies roam.
KA-KAW!

Re: Play Commissioner

They seem to have made a decent fix to the offsides crap but I'd scrap reviews on them entirely.

Definitely agree with scrapping the trapezoids.

Other than those I don't have too many issues with the game the way it's been the past few years I've enjoyed the league as a whole.

I like the trapezoids personally.

Been banging this drum for years and will continue to—enforce icing on power plays. Don’t let teams on the PK ice the puck without punishment. Their team committed a penalty, it doesn’t make sense to give them an advantage.

--Increase OT to 7 minutes 30 seconds.

--Agree on adding a couple extra divisional games. One less East game and 1 less Pacific game.

--Make it a flat out top 4 teams in each division qualifies for the playoffs. Forget the WC. Objective is to win your division.

--Get rid of the off sides challenge.

--Anything and everything should be reviewed in Toronto if needed --- period. No more of that hand pass shit and we can't review it in Toronto. Total BS.

--Go back and make first round of playoffs best of 5.

--Strike a network deal and bring back Monday night hockey on regular TV after the NFL Season is over.

If I think of anything else, I'll be back :)

A few ideas in no order of importance or sanity:
-Eliminate offsides reviews.
-Reduce goalie pad size
-Make sure Seattle doesn't name itself Sasquatch or Kraken
-Enforce embellishment penalties
-Raise maximum fine amount for department of player safety issues (part of CBA, but whatever)
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:47 pm A few ideas in no order of importance or sanity:
-Eliminate offsides reviews.
-Reduce goalie pad size
-Make sure Seattle doesn't name itself Sasquatch or Kraken
-Enforce embellishment penalties
-Raise maximum fine amount for department of player safety issues (part of CBA, but whatever)
LOVE the embellishment one...
KA-KAW!

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:10 pm I like the trapezoids personally.

Been banging this drum for years and will continue to—enforce icing on power plays. Don’t let teams on the PK ice the puck without punishment. Their team committed a penalty, it doesn’t make sense to give them an advantage.
I've thought about that too. The power play is so boring to me. 3/4 of it is spent with the team on the advantage chasing the puck back into their own zone.
KA-KAW!

To add to some of the other ideas:

Eliminate the icing "privilege" while killing penalties
Go back to minor penalties being served for the entire 2 minutes and score at will like you do on majors
Implement 3-2-1 standings to increase value of regulation wins and have all games worth the same amount of points
Extend 3 on 3 OT to 10 minutes but (reluctantly) keep the shootout
Reverse the trapezoid so that goalies can only play the puck behind the goal line when they are out of position to make it riskier to do so
Increase enforcement of embellishment and have embellishment calls negate the penalty against the other team - if you dive, you're on the PK

Get rid of the instigator penalty
Get rid of the 3 on 3 OT
Get rid of the loser point
Get rid of the offsides challenge
Allow teams to both wear dark jerseys as long as the colors don’t clash
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

MissouriMook wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:17 pm To add to some of the other ideas:

Eliminate the icing "privilege" while killing penalties
Go back to minor penalties being served for the entire 2 minutes and score at will like you do on majors
Implement 3-2-1 standings to increase value of regulation wins and have all games worth the same amount of points
Extend 3 on 3 OT to 10 minutes but (reluctantly) keep the shootout
Reverse the trapezoid so that goalies can only play the puck behind the goal line when they are out of position to make it riskier to do so
Increase enforcement of embellishment and have embellishment calls negate the penalty against the other team - if you dive, you're on the PK
3-2-1 is so obviously needed that I'm furious I didn't put it on my list.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:10 pm I like the trapezoids personally.

I've always thought the trapezoid thing is backwards. Reverse them. If a goalie is a good enough skater to play the puck out there, and still get back in the net, good on him.

I totally agree about enforcing icing calls on the power play. The nhl is always wanting more scoring..... Calling icing on power plays is the fastest way I know of to make that happen.

Go back to a single referee. The two man system has been a joke from the word go.

Dump the 3 on 3 ot. It's not hockey. Playing keep away in ot sucks.

Get rid of the penalty for shooting the puck over the glass.

Oh...get rid of all that douchebag beer options. Just go back to the basics..Budweiser, Bud light, Busch in St. Louis, Miller and Pabst in Chicago...etc and then offer Molson, Labatts, and Moosehead just like it was in the 80's. :P

"Suck a dick Johansen"

BillP. wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:44 pm...
--Anything and everything should be reviewed in Toronto if needed --- period. No more of that hand pass shit and we can't review it in Toronto. Total BS. ...
I'd go completely the other way: Shut down the Office of Interminable Reviews, fire all of their one-eyed staff, dismiss the Maple Leafs from the League, and nuke the City of Toronto. But give the residents 48 hours to relocate upwind. I'm the Commish with a heart, not Gary Bettman. :mrgreen:

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 pmHere's another one, remove all mention of the term "original six". They weren't the original six teams, they're just the six oldest.
You'd change your tune on this one, once you got a look at the League's books & saw how much HRR is raked in by selling O6 branded merch to Gens Y & Z faux-fans.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:17 pm Oh...get rid of all that douchebag beer options. Just go back to the basics..Budweiser, Bud light, Busch in St. Louis, Miller and Pabst in Chicago...etc and then offer Molson, Labatts, and Moosehead just like it was in the 80's. :P
Just a beer history lesson, but IPA's, porters, stouts, pale ales, and many others were around on this planet way before "the basics" were even an idea in someone's brain.
That being said, I also love all of the beers you just mentioned. Beer is like pizza to me. I like all of it, but I just have some that I like more than others.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:07 am
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:17 pm Oh...get rid of all that douchebag beer options. Just go back to the basics..Budweiser, Bud light, Busch in St. Louis, Miller and Pabst in Chicago...etc and then offer Molson, Labatts, and Moosehead just like it was in the 80's. :P
Just a beer history lesson, but IPA's, porters, stouts, pale ales, and many others were around on this planet way before "the basics" were even an idea in someone's brain.
That being said, I also love all of the beers you just mentioned. Beer is like pizza to me. I like all of it, but I just have some that I like more than others.
Well it’s really just tongue in cheek...I’m practicing for my crabby old man “get off my lawn” years.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:25 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:06 pmHere's another one, remove all mention of the term "original six". They weren't the original six teams, they're just the six oldest.
You'd change your tune on this one, once you got a look at the League's books & saw how much HRR is raked in by selling O6 branded merch to Gens Y & Z faux-fans.
This might be my hill to die on. I like revenue, but I like accuracy in word choice more. The marketing boys can figure out something new, and get everyone to buy stuff to replace their inaccurate Original Six crap. The Habs were the only team around in the 1917-18 season that's still around today. There were 4 teams, and one folded after the first half. The Leafs, Rangers, Hawks, Wings and Bruins can deal.

One thing that never made sense was the restriction on stick curves.. If an extra half inch of curve helps then it shouldn't be illegal. Modern stick technology is insane with built action in the shaft which didn't exist before mid 2000's. A little extra curve shouldn't be a big deal.