Re: Blues acquire Scandella from Montreal

The funny thing is, fancy stats say Scandella has been good this year. He has a positive expected goals rate, which doesn't worry about PDO. The argument that "he was bad on Buffalo until this year" is pretty interesting since I'm pretty sure prime-Bobby Orr is the only defenseman that could realistically overcome the Buffalo stank over the last decade or so.

Kids take a while to realize that most of the time the outcome of a given transaction isn't a home run/disaster. DAMN YOUTHS!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm
MattyIce wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:41 am
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:20 am

Well I hope to god you aren’t drinking Reds peanut butter mint hop ale! Once you start drinking shit with names like that.....it’s pretty much a lost cause.
I'm literally home-brewing a peanut butter milk stout right now :lol:
But, don't lose hope on me... sitting in my fridge next to all my craft beer is a 30 pack of Busch. And I don't wear skinny jeans :lol:
I love Busch and Budweiser. If decide to really step outside of the box it’s Blue Moon or Dos Equis Amber for me but that’s about as crafty as I go.
Move to Florida and you can get all the Yuengling you want and never have to worry about craft beer again. Plus, there's a chance you could end up neighbors with Bradley!

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:41 pm
Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:29 pm... If he wants to be a journalist, he should, at least, learn the first language of his country. How can a person live in a country all his life 19-23 years, and not learn the language??? Why do so many people in USA think the word,"dominate", can be used as an adjective?
Join us in the 21st Century, Robb. If the spellchecker doesn't change it, it MUST be correct grammar.
Sad but true.

Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:29 pm... If he wants to be a journalist, he should, at least, learn the first language of his country. How can a person live in a country all his life 19-23 years, and not learn the language??? Why do so many people in USA think the word,"dominate", can be used as an adjective?
Join us in the 21st Century, Robb. If the spellchecker doesn't change it, it MUST be correct grammar.
Ha! Ha! As if everyone who works for spellcheck companies were competent. I see hundreds of errors in officially printed books and magazine articles whose original writers use spellcheck and which are screened by several editors3-5 times, and errors STILL get through.Thank goodness the artificial intelligence still can't recognise different contexts remotely as well as Humans. There can be no such thing as a "dominate" team. The word is "dominant". A grammar checker should be able to turn red or blue in such a sentence to let the writer know something is wrong. But anyone having spent more than a few years in an English speaking country (even if he or she didn't know a word of English beforehand) should hear that that sounds incorrect - never mind someone who was born and raised in an English-speaking country, and attended school there. It wouldn't matter if he were aiming to be a coal miner in Appalachia. But this guy is trying to become a professional writer. Not a good "work sample" to say the least.

Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:51 pm
Ha! Ha! As if everyone who works for spellcheck companies were competent. I see hundreds of errors in officially printed books and magazine articles whose original writers use spellcheck and which are screened by several editors3-5 times, and errors STILL get through.Thank goodness the artificial intelligence still can't recognise different contexts remotely as well as Humans. There can be no such thing as a "dominate" team. The word is "dominant". A grammar checker should be able to turn red or blue in such a sentence to let the writer know something is wrong. But anyone having spent more than a few years in an English speaking country (even if he or she didn't know a word of English beforehand) should hear that that sounds incorrect - never mind someone who was born and raised in an English-speaking country, and attended school there. It wouldn't matter if he were aiming to be a coal miner in Appalachia. But this guy is trying to become a professional writer. Not a good "work sample" to say the least.
Just be glad that he doesn't have to make change for you when the cash register goes on the fritz.

JMC-STL wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 pm
Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:51 pm...It wouldn't matter if he were aiming to be a coal miner in Appalachia. But this guy is trying to become a professional writer. ...
sports blogger << professional writer ... Do the math ...
Yes, there are a lot of bloggers who just do it for fun and KNOW they'll never get a paying job in that field. But the way this guy was trying to get so much attention, proving Army made a colossal mistake, I get the feeling he doesn't know that. He's seen some of these local hockey fans finally break into selling articles, getting reporting jobs, and a few even breaking into local TV (even one working part-time with The Blues). But that article certainly isn't going to help him towards any of those goals.

I went back and looked at the article again, and finally noticed that it was from St. Louis Gametime. When they were starting out several years ago, they asked me if I'd like to write a regular column with them. I'll say one thing, - IF I HAD joined their group, I wouldn't have trashed the hell out of a reasonable trade, trying to make it look like the worst trade made in The NHL in the last 50 years, and then at the end of the piece, say "Well, actually, it doesn't really matter because The Blues' draft position will be near last anyway, AND their team is well-stocked, so no real harm done." I wouldn't want to be connected with an organisation (professional or not) that lets product like that get out in front of the public. It's just not professional.

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:56 pm
MissouriMook wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:13 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Another GOD DAMN attention whore!
Don't worry. You're still #1.
Number one person living rent free in your dome.
Boy, you really know how to make a guy feel better. Too bad that guy is you.

And the jokes on you (probably the closest you'll ever get to one) there is absolutely nothing in my head. Wait..

MissouriMook wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:41 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:56 pm
MissouriMook wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:13 am

Don't worry. You're still #1.
Number one person living rent free in your dome.
Boy, you really know how to make a guy feel better. Too bad that guy is you.

And the jokes on you (probably the closest you'll ever get to one) there is absolutely nothing in my head. Wait..
Attachments
the cruiser.jpg the cruiser.jpg Viewed 14302 times 20.08 KiB

Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:29 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:40 pm
BlueinNy wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:37 pm
Who is this guy? Sounds like a wild fan. Or a disgruntled Montreal fan.
19 y/o who knows more about hockey than Army.
If he wants to be a journalist, he should, at least, learn the first language of his country. How can a person live in a country all his life 19-23 years, and not learn the language???
Wenn es mit Englisch nicht geht, sollte es der Journalist vielleicht mit einer anderen Sprache versuchen ;)

Harri McBain wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:59 pm
Robb_K wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:29 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:40 pm

19 y/o who knows more about hockey than Army.
If he wants to be a journalist, he should, at least, learn the first language of his country. How can a person live in a country all his life 19-23 years, and not learn the language???
Wenn es mit Englisch nicht geht, sollte es der Journalist vielleicht mit einer anderen Sprache versuchen ;)
Well, if he can’t master English grammar, I wouldn’t suggest he try to learn German. Maybe Esperanto? There’s quite a lock of good ice hockey columns in Esperanto! :mrgreen:

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:10 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:51 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:23 pm

He looks great....so much for the fucking experts.
Blues might be able to flip him for a first by the deadline
Bergevin est un idiot ... il s'est fait voler!
Bergevin looks good with this deal. He laundered a 4th round pick into a second in 20 games. Might sign him in the offseason too.

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Bergevin looks good with this deal. He laundered a 4th round pick into a second in 20 games. Might sign him in the offseason too.
The Blues will want him to stay. They don't have much on the left side. Gunnarsson gets hurt too often, and is getting old. They will try to re-sign him. He fits well into Berube's system. Why would he not want to stay with a Stanley Cup contender who has a system in which he fits well, and so, in which he can look good? I think he will re-sign with The Blues. With Bouwmeester probably retiring, and Gunnarsson one year older, and Dunn still needing sheltered minutes on defence, The Blues are still weak on the left side. We see that Faulk has played shakily BOTH on the right side and the left. But, certainly, it is better to play him on the right, where he is more comfortable. So, The Blues will want to re-sign him for a reasonable amount. And I think he'll accept, despit the amount being 10% less than Montreal might offer, because he'll want to have a reasonable chance of playing for one of the top contenders.

Yeah... but for fun's sake, let's say the Blues would flip him for a first. The 19 y/o wanna-be sports writers in Quebec would be acting like someone shit in their poutine, and be calling Bergevin an idiot... (although they probably do that already)

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:12 pm
Yeah... but for fun's sake, let's say the Blues would flip him for a first. The 19 y/o wanna-be sports writers in Quebec would be acting like someone shit in their poutine, and be calling Bergevin an idiot... (although they probably do that already)
:lol: