Re: Blues acquire Scandella from Montreal

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 pm I don’t mind this trade. Scandella was pretty reliable in Minnesota. I still don’t understand how Mikkola didn’t get a chance to prove himself again after playing pretty well. I think he showed he was more than ready. I think he deserved a chance to play.
Pretty much the way I see it. I don't see Scandella as an upgrade over Mikko. Id rather see Mikko in the lineup, and have our #2pick for the draft. But much to my amazement, Doug didn't ask me.

barnburner wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:07 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:56 pm I don’t mind this trade. Scandella was pretty reliable in Minnesota. I still don’t understand how Mikkola didn’t get a chance to prove himself again after playing pretty well. I think he showed he was more than ready. I think he deserved a chance to play.
Pretty much the way I see it. I don't see Scandella as an upgrade over Mikko. Id rather see Mikko in the lineup, and have our #2pick for the draft. But much to my amazement, Doug didn't ask me.
Bush league move by Army in my opinion.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

BlueinNy wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:53 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:29 pm http://www.sportsforecaster.com/nhl/player/6895

SCOUTING REPORT
Has all-around ability, a big frame, an aggressive approach to playing defense and a big shot. Can also log a lot of minutes in the NHL, if required. Is not a natural power-play performer. Struggles a bit against very quick forwards, who can beat him to the outside. Injuries can be an issue.
We already have a big defenseman that gets beat to the outside why do we need another.
Symmetry?

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:20 pm
barnburner wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:07 pm
Bush league move by Army in my opinion.
LOL. 😀😀

This trade will help shore up the hole on LD, and The Habs retaining 50% of his salary helps. But, I hate to see another 2nd Rounder go. I would have been much more happy giving up a 3rd and a conditional 3rd, than giving up a 2nd and a conditional 4th. Bill Armstrong and his gang usually do pretty well with 2nd Rounders (Kyrou as an example). There's a big drop-off in chances to get a difference maker moving from The 2nd Round to The 3rd. I think Mikkola being played sparingly is a move for the future, to keep him safe from having to be protected in Seattle's Expansion Draft. They seem to be going the route of protecting only 3 defencemen (who would be Pietrangelo (assuming they are confident they'll get him signed), Parayko, and probably Dunn will be the 3 protected. If Mikkola plays over the maximum games to not have this count as an NHL season for him, The Blues would then probably lose one of Dunn or Mikkola to Seattle, or a forward they'd want to keep.

Robb_K wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:10 pm This trade will help shore up the hole on LD, and The Habs retaining 50% of his salary helps. But, I hate to see another 2nd Rounder go. I would have been much more happy giving up a 3rd and a conditional 3rd, than giving up a 2nd and a conditional 4th. Bill Armstrong and his gang usually do pretty well with 2nd Rounders (Kyrou as an example). There's a big drop-off in chances to get a difference maker moving from The 2nd Round to The 3rd. I think Mikkola being played sparingly is a move for the future, to keep him safe from having to be protected in Seattle's Expansion Draft. They seem to be going the route of protecting only 3 defencemen (who would be Pietrangelo (assuming they are confident they'll get him signed), Parayko, and probably Dunn will be the 3 protected. If Mikkola plays over the maximum games to not have this count as an NHL season for him, The Blues would then probably lose one of Dunn or Mikkola to Seattle, or a forward they'd want to keep.
With faulks NTC we will be forced to protect him
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:51 pm
Robb_K wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:10 pm This trade will help shore up the hole on LD, and The Habs retaining 50% of his salary helps. But, I hate to see another 2nd Rounder go. I would have been much more happy giving up a 3rd and a conditional 3rd, than giving up a 2nd and a conditional 4th. Bill Armstrong and his gang usually do pretty well with 2nd Rounders (Kyrou as an example). There's a big drop-off in chances to get a difference maker moving from The 2nd Round to The 3rd. I think Mikkola being played sparingly is a move for the future, to keep him safe from having to be protected in Seattle's Expansion Draft. They seem to be going the route of protecting only 3 defencemen (who would be Pietrangelo (assuming they are confident they'll get him signed), Parayko, and probably Dunn will be the 3 protected. If Mikkola plays over the maximum games to not have this count as an NHL season for him, The Blues would then probably lose one of Dunn or Mikkola to Seattle, or a forward they'd want to keep.
Nope only have to protect no movement clauses. If Petro stays Faulk is a goner to the Kraken.

ratonmono wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:56 pm
Nope only have to protect no movement clauses. If Petro stays Faulk is a goner to the Kraken.
OH!

My mistake I didn't know that!
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

A No Trade Clause does NOT force a team to protect him in an expansion draft. Only a No MOVEMENT clause forces a team to protect a player. And I'm pretty sure that Armstrong DIDN'T give Faulk a no movement clause, as that's been The Blues' policy for quite a while. But, The Blues may decide to protect Scandella, rather than Faulk, especially given that Mikkola likely won't be subject to being drafted. On the other hand, it might have been better to play Mikkola, with his low, entry-level salary, than keep both Scandella and Faulk, which might make it difficult to keep a veteran forward they'd rather have, because they'll be so close to the cap.

With Bouwmeester done for the year, Scandella is basically an injury insurance policy.

LD RD
Dunn Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson Parayko
Scandella Faulk
Mikkola Bortuzzo

The move gives us 8 NHL caliber defencemen for the playoffs, when, let's face it - injuries are going to happen.

I don't like giving up the second round pick, but Bouwmeester's LTIR issue forced his hand at this.