Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#26
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:15 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am


I would take Mikkola over Edmundson every day of the week.
Bigger, younger, cheaper. We haven’t seen him drop the gloves, but you don’t keep a defenseman in the lineup just because he is a willing fighter.....at least not anymore.

With Jaybo done, it’s time to put Mikkola in the lineup and leave him there.
He's played five games. I don't think that counts as a replacement, with all due respect.

Is Mikkola bigger than Eddy? I think they are basically identical.
Yeah, fair point.....but we have seen what type of player Eddy is and he is pretty much “just a guy”. Mikkola is almost 24 and has been around for a while, and has a lot of international experience. He isn’t a 19 year old kid that had a couple of good games. Time for him to play.
Yeah, we agree that we are both excited about Mikkola and what he may be able to do. But for this season so far, the Blues haven't had anyone fill Eddy's role.

Hope they get him in there tomorrow. I guess for Bortz?
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#27
BillP. wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:18 am
It's hard to argue with facts. I just don't get it. I always thought he was a great defenseman, I like his skill level. Don't know why it's not coming together for him.
Might have something to do with the fact that either he or his partner have been playing on the wrong side for > 90% of his TOI. The only defenseman on this roster that I've seen play well on their off side is Bortuzzo. Move Bortz to the LD slot and run 27-55-72 down the right.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#28
NHLTIM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 am
He hasn’t been good but Chief hasn’t benched him yet either. Guess we will see how it plays out but I don’t see him going anywhere.
I don't think they'll move him until the Petro situation sorts itself out, but when and if Petro re-signs I could see them trying to move him for a comparably skilled LD. Or trade him for futures and sign a Top 4 LD with the money he and JBo vacate from the cap.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#29
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 am
On a little bit of a side note, let’s not start whining about the loss of Edmundson as another reason to bash Faulk. Eddy was a defensive liability, and if you don’t remember that part of his game, just re-watch Game 7 against the Bruins. Plus he is going to be UFA at the end of this season, so chances are good that he would have left for nothing. I miss the physical part of his game, but that’s about it.

The Faulk trade isn’t working out, and the contract extension looks terrible at this point, but let’s not make Edmundson out to be a modern day Larry Robinson. Nobody in this forum has done that, but like the Coronavirus, I’m worried the illness could spread from the other forum!
Hear! Hear!

The problem is not that he hasn't been as good as Joel Edmundson, the problem is that he hasn't been as good as Justin Faulk.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#30
MissouriMook wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:33 am
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 am
On a little bit of a side note, let’s not start whining about the loss of Edmundson as another reason to bash Faulk. Eddy was a defensive liability, and if you don’t remember that part of his game, just re-watch Game 7 against the Bruins. Plus he is going to be UFA at the end of this season, so chances are good that he would have left for nothing. I miss the physical part of his game, but that’s about it.

The Faulk trade isn’t working out, and the contract extension looks terrible at this point, but let’s not make Edmundson out to be a modern day Larry Robinson. Nobody in this forum has done that, but like the Coronavirus, I’m worried the illness could spread from the other forum!
Hear! Hear!

The problem is not that he hasn't been as good as Joel Edmundson, the problem is that he hasn't been as good as Justin Faulk.
I've thought he might just not fit in with the Blues, or the way they play. He might have brought some bad habits with him from the bad days in Carolina.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#31
Edmunson was great here because he is a stay at home clear the crease guy on a team full of flashy skating defenders. Faulk doesn't fit on this team...or doesn't seem to be able to make his game work...he would probably be great if he was paired with Edmunson.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#32
CaptSMRT wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:20 pm
Edmunson was great here because he is a stay at home clear the crease guy on a team full of flashy skating defenders. Faulk doesn't fit on this team...or doesn't seem to be able to make his game work...he would probably be great if he was paired with Edmunson.
Oh the irony of it all! But hey, Edmundson is a free agent after this season, so never say never.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#33
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:31 pm
CaptSMRT wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:20 pm
Edmunson was great here because he is a stay at home clear the crease guy on a team full of flashy skating defenders. Faulk doesn't fit on this team...or doesn't seem to be able to make his game work...he would probably be great if he was paired with Edmunson.
Oh the irony of it all! But hey, Edmundson is a free agent after this season, so never say never.
I would love to add some goal scoring...but I am a fan and that is my response to everything. I also agree that goal scoring is the answer to everything.
On the flip side...the Blues need someone clearing creases and zones...is that guy out there? Also... adding scoring couldn't hurt.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#34
MissouriMook wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 am
NHLTIM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 am
He hasn’t been good but Chief hasn’t benched him yet either. Guess we will see how it plays out but I don’t see him going anywhere.
I don't think they'll move him until the Petro situation sorts itself out, but when and if Petro re-signs I could see them trying to move him for a comparably skilled LD. Or trade him for futures and sign a Top 4 LD with the money he and JBo vacate from the cap.
Faulk has a full NTC until 2024
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#35
Ozzies09tc wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:31 pm
MissouriMook wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:32 am
NHLTIM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:33 am
He hasn’t been good but Chief hasn’t benched him yet either. Guess we will see how it plays out but I don’t see him going anywhere.
I don't think they'll move him until the Petro situation sorts itself out, but when and if Petro re-signs I could see them trying to move him for a comparably skilled LD. Or trade him for futures and sign a Top 4 LD with the money he and JBo vacate from the cap.
Faulk has a full NTC until 2024
He might favor a trade to a desirable destination that wants him over a season plus as a 5/6 getting 15 minutes a night before shipping off to an expansion team.

As silly as it sounds, I think he would be a great fit for a team like Toronto if they paired him with a solid D zone LD like Muzzin.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#45
You know I wouldn't mind that his counting stats are a lot lower than they were in Carolina since he's played fewer minutes and very little on the power play, but his underlying numbers and fancy stats were ugly too. I still think he can turn it around and be closer to the player we were hoping for, but time will tell.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#46
Dave's a mess wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:33 am
You know I wouldn't mind that his counting stats are a lot lower than they were in Carolina since he's played fewer minutes and very little on the power play, but his underlying numbers and fancy stats were ugly too. I still think he can turn it around and be closer to the player we were hoping for, but time will tell.
I agree with everything you said. But if the Blues made that trade with the hope that Faulk could ease the pain of losing Petro, I think that's out the window.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#49
T.C. wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:51 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:05 pm
Justin Faulk has entered the chat to join in on the bashing

hahaha fantastic.
That was actually a really great interview, if you have a subscription and can read the entire article. He basically was like, I moved around all season on different pairs which is different than my career so far, but the rest of the team did that too so I can’t use that as an excuse. He also admitted to being too passive and trying to “fit in” too much with a successful team rather than really bringing his game to the table and playing the way that makes him successful.

The stats JR showed in the article really highlight what Faulk can do—since his second season he’s top 20 in points and goals from d-men. Hopefully he’s figured it out like the interview makes it sound like he has.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#50
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:46 am
T.C. wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:51 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:05 pm
Justin Faulk has entered the chat to join in on the bashing

hahaha fantastic.
That was actually a really great interview, if you have a subscription and can read the entire article. He basically was like, I moved around all season on different pairs which is different than my career so far, but the rest of the team did that too so I can’t use that as an excuse. He also admitted to being too passive and trying to “fit in” too much with a successful team rather than really bringing his game to the table and playing the way that makes him successful.

The stats JR showed in the article really highlight what Faulk can do—since his second season he’s top 20 in points and goals from d-men. Hopefully he’s figured it out like the interview makes it sound like he has.
Counterpoint, the reason he moved around all season was because they couldn't find a partner he was good with.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account
cron