Bash Justin Faulk thread

#1
He now has one goal and ONE assist in his last 20 games and is a minus 15 in those games. Just so I know you read that right, TWO points and a minus 15 in his last 20.

So he's not adding anything offensively and can't cover in his own end. Remind me why the Blues are paying him again?

This guy is Faulking awful.

Happy Monday
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#4
The Blues have given up 4+ in 10 of last 18 games, so I'm sure everyone's +/- has taken a hit besides the almighty Sanford. Faulk is a part of the problem in that basically the entire team has been playing poorly in 2020. Goalies aren't stopping as many pucks as they need to and the team seems to be starting slowly and falling behind nearly every night lately. It will turn around or it won't, but I don't think Faulk is any more or less to blame than 90% of this team's skaters.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#5
NHLTIM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:41 am
Welcome to the asylum
Jesus, I thought this was my “safe space”!

Ok, here is what I don’t get about the Faulk thing......they paired him with Petro for about 2 weeks back before Christmas (I think) and he looked great. In fact, both guys looked great, so it’s not like it was a zero sum game and negatively affected Petro. Then they split them apart and both players looked worse. If something is working, why screw with it? Same thing with Mikkola......he looked very good in the games he played, but more importantly, the Blues played really well defensively. Then they send him down for the All Star break, which I get, but he hasn’t played since and the Blues D has looked like trash. Don’t tell me it’s because of the Bouwmeester situation, because we looked like ass before Jaybo went down.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#6
BillP. wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 am
The numbers do sound bad. Any chance you can drum up the same figures over the same time period for the other D-Men? Would shed more light.
In their last 20 respective games:
Petro: 16 points, -5
Parayko: 7 points, +1
JBo: 3 points, -1
Dunn: 6 points, -1
Gunnarsson: 4 points, +5
Bortuzzo: 4 points, +4

Although when I do the calculation for Faulk's last 20 games, I get 2 points, -11 (not -15).

Its becoming harder and harder to make excuses for Faulk. Both the eye test and the stats do not reflect well on him, especially recently. Outside of a stretch of play when he and Petro were first put together he's been underwhelming. The fact that both Bortuzzo and Gunnarsson have doubled him up in points during a 20 game stretch is particularly damning for him. Its hard to say what exactly he contributes to the team at this point.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#7
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 am
NHLTIM wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:41 am
Welcome to the asylum
Jesus, I thought this was my “safe space”!

Ok, here is what I don’t get about the Faulk thing......they paired him with Petro for about 2 weeks back before Christmas (I think) and he looked great. In fact, both guys looked great, so it’s not like it was a zero sum game and negatively affected Petro. Then they split them apart and both players looked worse. If something is working, why screw with it? Same thing with Mikkola......he looked very good in the games he played, but more importantly, the Blues played really well defensively. Then they send him down for the All Star break, which I get, but he hasn’t played since and the Blues D has looked like trash. Don’t tell me it’s because of the Bouwmeester situation, because we looked like ass before Jaybo went down.
I disagree Petro has looked worse without Faulk, Petro has been very consistent regardless of his partner this year, IMO, and the stats seem to bear that out. On a month to month basis:
October: 9 points, -1
November: 10 points, +3
December: 12 points, +9
January: 12 points, -1
February: 4 points, -3 (7 games in)

So its not like losing Faulk hurt Petro. December was Faulk's best month though, so going away from Petro hurt him (Faulk had 5 points and was +6 in December). Petro seems to play well with whoever now (this wasn't the case earlier in his career obviously) and now especially with JBo out I think they want him matching up against other teams top lines, and they don't trust Faulk to do that. But Petro seems to be the only partner that Faulk plays well with, so its not a great situation. Suffice to say, if we lose Petro after this season, and have Parayko-Faulk-Bortuzzo as our right side...yikes

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#8
One other thing I'll say. This more and more is looking like an error by Army. We didn't "need" Faulk, although at the time it seemed like a wise, put the team over the top move. But since Faulk has been here, its become abundantly clear how important Petro is--he's the guy we DO need--and Faulk's extension might make it difficult to keep Petro. Not great.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#9
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 am
BillP. wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 am
The numbers do sound bad. Any chance you can drum up the same figures over the same time period for the other D-Men? Would shed more light.
In their last 20 respective games:
Petro: 16 points, -5
Parayko: 7 points, +1
JBo: 3 points, -1
Dunn: 6 points, -1
Gunnarsson: 4 points, +5
Bortuzzo: 4 points, +4

Although when I do the calculation for Faulk's last 20 games, I get 2 points, -11 (not -15).

Its becoming harder and harder to make excuses for Faulk. Both the eye test and the stats do not reflect well on him, especially recently. Outside of a stretch of play when he and Petro were first put together he's been underwhelming. The fact that both Bortuzzo and Gunnarsson have doubled him up in points during a 20 game stretch is particularly damning for him. Its hard to say what exactly he contributes to the team at this point.
Hell yes! I Drag him King
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#11
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 am
BillP. wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 am
The numbers do sound bad. Any chance you can drum up the same figures over the same time period for the other D-Men? Would shed more light.
In their last 20 respective games:
Petro: 16 points, -5
Parayko: 7 points, +1
JBo: 3 points, -1
Dunn: 6 points, -1
Gunnarsson: 4 points, +5
Bortuzzo: 4 points, +4

Although when I do the calculation for Faulk's last 20 games, I get 2 points, -11 (not -15).

Its becoming harder and harder to make excuses for Faulk. Both the eye test and the stats do not reflect well on him, especially recently. Outside of a stretch of play when he and Petro were first put together he's been underwhelming. The fact that both Bortuzzo and Gunnarsson have doubled him up in points during a 20 game stretch is particularly damning for him. Its hard to say what exactly he contributes to the team at this point.
Based on the numbers, the solution is clear. Time to play Gunnar and Bortuzzo 30 minutes a night, then pray they can hold on for the other 30. ;) I will say that I expected an adjustment period for Faulk, but would've hoped it would be over by now. I still expect the puck to start going in for him at some point, but we'll see.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#13
On a little bit of a side note, let’s not start whining about the loss of Edmundson as another reason to bash Faulk. Eddy was a defensive liability, and if you don’t remember that part of his game, just re-watch Game 7 against the Bruins. Plus he is going to be UFA at the end of this season, so chances are good that he would have left for nothing. I miss the physical part of his game, but that’s about it.

The Faulk trade isn’t working out, and the contract extension looks terrible at this point, but let’s not make Edmundson out to be a modern day Larry Robinson. Nobody in this forum has done that, but like the Coronavirus, I’m worried the illness could spread from the other forum!

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#14
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:19 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:59 am
BillP. wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:44 am
The numbers do sound bad. Any chance you can drum up the same figures over the same time period for the other D-Men? Would shed more light.
In their last 20 respective games:
Petro: 16 points, -5
Parayko: 7 points, +1
JBo: 3 points, -1
Dunn: 6 points, -1
Gunnarsson: 4 points, +5
Bortuzzo: 4 points, +4

Although when I do the calculation for Faulk's last 20 games, I get 2 points, -11 (not -15).

Its becoming harder and harder to make excuses for Faulk. Both the eye test and the stats do not reflect well on him, especially recently. Outside of a stretch of play when he and Petro were first put together he's been underwhelming. The fact that both Bortuzzo and Gunnarsson have doubled him up in points during a 20 game stretch is particularly damning for him. Its hard to say what exactly he contributes to the team at this point.
Based on the numbers, the solution is clear. Time to play Gunnar and Bortuzzo 30 minutes a night, then pray they can hold on for the other 30. ;) I will say that I expected an adjustment period for Faulk, but would've hoped it would be over by now. I still expect the puck to start going in for him at some point, but we'll see.
Yeah, obviously matchups dictate the +/- for a lot of these guys, but I don't think Faulk has been seeing the other team's best players either. At this point I'd probably just play him as a third pairing guy...something like:

Gunnarsson-Petro (not ideal but has worked before)
Dunn-Parayko
Mikkola-Faulk

We have depth on the left side but no one who can really eat a lot of minutes over there, and I think thats a major problem with all of this.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#15
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 am
On a little bit of a side note, let’s not start whining about the loss of Edmundson as another reason to bash Faulk. Eddy was a defensive liability, and if you don’t remember that part of his game, just re-watch Game 7 against the Bruins. Plus he is going to be UFA at the end of this season, so chances are good that he would have left for nothing. I miss the physical part of his game, but that’s about it.

The Faulk trade isn’t working out, and the contract extension looks terrible at this point, but let’s not make Edmundson out to be a modern day Larry Robinson. Nobody in this forum has done that, but like the Coronavirus, I’m worried the illness could spread from the other forum!
It is pretty funny though when you compare their stats this season. Edmundson has more points than Faulk. Who would've put money on that heading into the season?
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#16
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:43 am
On a little bit of a side note, let’s not start whining about the loss of Edmundson as another reason to bash Faulk. Eddy was a defensive liability, and if you don’t remember that part of his game, just re-watch Game 7 against the Bruins. Plus he is going to be UFA at the end of this season, so chances are good that he would have left for nothing. I miss the physical part of his game, but that’s about it.

The Faulk trade isn’t working out, and the contract extension looks terrible at this point, but let’s not make Edmundson out to be a modern day Larry Robinson. Nobody in this forum has done that, but like the Coronavirus, I’m worried the illness could spread from the other forum!
Yeah, I think Edmundson's biggest contribution was being a great guy in the room. He's a perfectly fine NHL defenseman, but I was all for trading him whenever his stock was highest. I'm glad he got a warm reception when he came back to STL and that he's having a nice season, but no need to write sonnets about his legacy with the Blues.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#17
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 am
Yeah, I think Edmundson's biggest contribution was being a great guy in the room. He's a perfectly fine NHL defenseman, but I was all for trading him whenever his stock was highest. I'm glad he got a warm reception when he came back to STL and that he's having a nice season, but no need to write sonnets about his legacy with the Blues.
Absolutely agree with this part, and should have added that to my post. But just strictly as a player, he was replaceable. The funny thing is, a couple of years ago, I thought he was going to be a key guy for us going forward, but he regressed for whatever reason. Also agree, I’m glad he got a nice reception when he came back......very likable player.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#18
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 am
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 am
Yeah, I think Edmundson's biggest contribution was being a great guy in the room. He's a perfectly fine NHL defenseman, but I was all for trading him whenever his stock was highest. I'm glad he got a warm reception when he came back to STL and that he's having a nice season, but no need to write sonnets about his legacy with the Blues.
Absolutely agree with this part, and should have added that to my post. But just strictly as a player, he was replaceable. The funny thing is, a couple of years ago, I thought he was going to be a key guy for us going forward, but he regressed for whatever reason. Also agree, I’m glad he got a nice reception when he came back......very likable player.
I mean this seriously...Have the Blues replaced him? Because it's debatable they have.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#19
The other thing...it’s not like Army made the decision on the trade and the extension himself. He had plenty of input from his pro scouts before he made that deal.
At this point Faulk has a lot of time to redeem himself . Army’s track record also shows that if he believes it was a mistake he will go to great lengths to fix it. I’m not worried. Faulk is a better player than he has shown here.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#21
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:59 am
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 am
Dave's a mess wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 am
Yeah, I think Edmundson's biggest contribution was being a great guy in the room. He's a perfectly fine NHL defenseman, but I was all for trading him whenever his stock was highest. I'm glad he got a warm reception when he came back to STL and that he's having a nice season, but no need to write sonnets about his legacy with the Blues.
Absolutely agree with this part, and should have added that to my post. But just strictly as a player, he was replaceable. The funny thing is, a couple of years ago, I thought he was going to be a key guy for us going forward, but he regressed for whatever reason. Also agree, I’m glad he got a nice reception when he came back......very likable player.
I mean this seriously...Have the Blues replaced him? Because it's debatable they have.
I would take Mikkola over Edmundson every day of the week. Bigger, younger, cheaper. We haven’t seen him drop the gloves, but you don’t keep a defenseman in the lineup just because he is a willing fighter.....at least not anymore.

With Jaybo done, it’s time to put Mikkola in the lineup and leave him there.

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#22
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:59 am
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:53 am


Absolutely agree with this part, and should have added that to my post. But just strictly as a player, he was replaceable. The funny thing is, a couple of years ago, I thought he was going to be a key guy for us going forward, but he regressed for whatever reason. Also agree, I’m glad he got a nice reception when he came back......very likable player.
I mean this seriously...Have the Blues replaced him? Because it's debatable they have.

I would take Mikkola over Edmundson every day of the week.
Bigger, younger, cheaper. We haven’t seen him drop the gloves, but you don’t keep a defenseman in the lineup just because he is a willing fighter.....at least not anymore.

With Jaybo done, it’s time to put Mikkola in the lineup and leave him there.
He's played five games. I don't think that counts as a replacement, with all due respect.

Is Mikkola bigger than Eddy? I think they are basically identical.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: Bash Justin Faulk thread

#25
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am
Matangama wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:09 am


I would take Mikkola over Edmundson every day of the week.
Bigger, younger, cheaper. We haven’t seen him drop the gloves, but you don’t keep a defenseman in the lineup just because he is a willing fighter.....at least not anymore.

With Jaybo done, it’s time to put Mikkola in the lineup and leave him there.
He's played five games. I don't think that counts as a replacement, with all due respect.

Is Mikkola bigger than Eddy? I think they are basically identical.
Yeah, fair point.....but we have seen what type of player Eddy is and he is pretty much “just a guy”. Mikkola is almost 24 and has been around for a while, and has a lot of international experience. He isn’t a 19 year old kid that had a couple of good games. Time for him to play.