Re: JBO

UMSL, I don’t know for sure, but I would tend to agree........I don’t think he will be able to play again. Hope I’m wrong. Pacemakers are one thing (smaller and not “life saving”), but I just can’t imagine a scenario where a guy could play NHL hockey with an ICD, with the physical contact involved (even though Jaybo isn’t a physical player).
Last edited by Matangama on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy I worked with for years had one of these (or at least similar) implanted after he retired and moved to West Virginia. He was hunting by himself up on the hills, had an attack. The device restarted his heart, but it jolted him so hard that he felt down, hit his head, knocked him out cold, and he fell down a hill and broke his leg. Fortunately, when he woke up, he was lucky enough that his cell phone had reception in that area, and was able to call for help.

barnburner wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:13 am A guy I worked with for years had one of these (or at least similar) implanted after he retired and moved to West Virginia. He was hunting by himself up on the hills, had an attack. The device restarted his heart, but it jolted him so hard that he felt down, hit his head, knocked him out cold, and he fell down a hill and broke his leg. Fortunately, when he woke up, he was lucky enough that his cell phone had reception in that area, and was able to call for help.
Jesus. That's wild.
Ya take the good with the bad, I guess. :shock:

barnburner wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:13 am A guy I worked with for years had one of these (or at least similar) implanted after he retired and moved to West Virginia. He was hunting by himself up on the hills, had an attack. The device restarted his heart, but it jolted him so hard that he felt down, hit his head, knocked him out cold, and he fell down a hill and broke his leg. Fortunately, when he woke up, he was lucky enough that his cell phone had reception in that area, and was able to call for help.
Wow, that's insane. I guess the takeaway is those things work!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:01 pm
Wow, that's insane. I guess the takeaway is those things work!
Yeah, actually it's saved him a couple of times I

usmcaaron wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:51 am
Jesus. That's wild.
Ya take the good with the bad, I guess. :shock:
Yeah, my unspoken question to him was.... "why were you out hunting in the mountains by yourself?". But.. maybe I should just let him live the way he wants. 😀

Turk Sanderson wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:08 pm Hey barn... ya reckon that thing increased his cell phone range up there in the hills? If it will make my iphone work better up here in Macoupin County, I may get one myself. :)
From my experience in that type of country, I think he was very, very, lucky to land in the one spot in a hundred miles that had reception. 😄. I was in Cody Wyoming once. I found one spot in that whole town, about 12 inches square where I had reception, that was it! ☹️

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:17 pmBouwmeester will have to declare bankruptcy because his procedure happened out of network.
But lucky for JBo & his family, Ray Barile had the GoodRx app loaded on his smartphone. That saved The Bouwmeesters up to 80% instantly on Jay's prescription meds @ the UCI Hospital pharmacy.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:41 am

According to the American Heart Association:
"An ICD is a battery-powered device placed under the skin that keeps track of your heart rate. Thin wires connect the ICD to your heart. If an abnormal heart rhythm is detected the device will deliver an electric shock to restore a normal heartbeat if your heart is beating chaotically and much too fast.

ICDs have been very useful in preventing sudden death in patients with known, sustained ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation. Studies have shown that they may have a role in preventing cardiac arrest in high-risk patients who haven't had, but are at risk for, life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias.

The American Heart Association recommends that before a patient is considered to be a candidate for an ICD, the arrhythmia in question must be life threatening and doctors have ruled out correctable causes of the arrhythmia, such as:

Acute myocardial infarction (heart attack)
Myocardial ischemia (inadequate blood flow to the heart muscle)
Electrolyte imbalance and drug toxicity
Because many people do not understand their underlying condition – such as heart failure or genetic predisposition for risk of sudden cardiac arrest – and because ICDs are used primarily to prevent sudden cardiac death, they in turn may not understand the benefits versus the limitations of having an ICD implanted. If you are one of those people, you will find information and guidance here."

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/ ... llator-icd

So, the fact that he has this device indicates that they know that there is something wrong with his heart that caused him to have an irregular heartbeat, that its life threatening, and that its not "correctable". Not sure what this means for his future, but it doesn't seem good for him playing hockey again, IMO.

This article doesn't make it sound good as far as playing a contact sport with one of those devices:

https://www.tctmd.com/news/athletes-icd ... -reassures
No, it doesn't look good hockey wise.

Frankly. I'm surprised they never caught this problem before.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:49 pmWell, an ICD tells a pretty crazy story about what was up with JBO's heart.
No, it's not "crazy" in the least. American Heart Assoc. data indicates that the most common form of heart arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, affects at least 2.3 million people in the United States. The other common forms are believed to add another million people in the U.S. to that count. If you work or socialize with or are related to adult white males, there's a pretty fair chance one or more persons you know (or maybe even you) have one of those conditions. It's the heart that's the "crazy" thing, not JBo's unfortunately common story.

If life gives you lemons......I think it’s pretty obvious he won’t play again, so why not make Jaybo the new Larry Robinson? Clearly our defense is struggling, and at almost 70, I don’t think we can count on Robinson coming back on a day-to-day basis like he did last year (i know his contract was up, but i think he is still an advisor to the Blues). Jaybo is a quite, reserved dude, but he obviously commands a lot of respect from the players. Have him mentor Dunn and Mikkola in particular.

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:55 am
Cotton McKnight wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:49 pmWell, an ICD tells a pretty crazy story about what was up with JBO's heart.
No, it's not "crazy" in the least. American Heart Assoc. data indicates that the most common form of heart arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, affects at least 2.3 million people in the United States. The other common forms are believed to add another million people in the U.S. to that count. If you work or socialize with or are related to adult white males, there's a pretty fair chance one or more persons you know (or maybe even you) have one of those conditions. It's the heart that's the "crazy" thing, not JBo's unfortunately common story.
So less than one percent of Americans....damn that isn't crazy.

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:55 am
As someone with a heart condition to think about going through normal life with machinery in you to restart your heart, imo, is remarkably profound (let's replace the negative connotative of crazy with profound) to think you're life will not change/slow down.

Crazy may have been too strong of a word, that did bring on a defensive poster to what I originally wrote. Requiring hard ware to stay alive is something to not scoff at. His life will forever be changed. The most profound thing about it would be we had no idea, and that means it was possible that DA maybe new something based on the 1 year deals only going forward (up to this point) for JBO.

JMC-STL wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:30 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:27 amSo less than one percent of Americans....damn that isn't crazy.
You'd die to have a "crazy" number of people like that attend your gigs, Cap'n. And they'd die, too.
I died in WWII!!! I'm fucking dead!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:53 pm
JMC-STL wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:30 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:27 amSo less than one percent of Americans....damn that isn't crazy.
You'd die to have a "crazy" number of people like that attend your gigs, Cap'n. And they'd die, too.
I died in WWII!!! I'm fucking dead!!!
That explains a lot...