Re: JBO

I'm not sure if this makes me an asshole, but all the people on twitter who are like "I'm an [insert team thats not the Blues here] fan and I'm praying for Bouwmeester" are driving me insane. Why does anyone feel that it somehow makes them look better about hoping someone doesn't die if they're a fan of a different team? Like fuck, it doesn't matter, its a goddamn medical emergency

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 pmI'm not sure if this makes me an asshole, but all the people on twitter who are like "I'm an [insert team thats not the Blues here] fan and I'm praying for Bouwmeester" are driving me insane. Why does anyone feel that it somehow makes them look better about hoping someone doesn't die if they're a fan of a different team? Like fuck, it doesn't matter, its a goddamn medical emergency
In my professional opinion, Mr. UMSL, you are indeed an asshole. Please remit my fee to the receptionist on your way out. Next patient, please ...

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 pm I'm not sure if this makes me an asshole, but all the people on twitter who are like "I'm an [insert team thats not the Blues here] fan and I'm praying for Bouwmeester" are driving me insane. Why does anyone feel that it somehow makes them look better about hoping someone doesn't die if they're a fan of a different team? Like fuck, it doesn't matter, its a goddamn medical emergency
I want to know why you're targeting Oilers, Islanders and/or Avalanche fans with your ire.

Also, here's wishing JBO a full recovery.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 pm I'm not sure if this makes me an asshole, but all the people on twitter who are like "I'm an [insert team thats not the Blues here] fan and I'm praying for Bouwmeester" are driving me insane. Why does anyone feel that it somehow makes them look better about hoping someone doesn't die if they're a fan of a different team? Like fuck, it doesn't matter, its a goddamn medical emergency
I see this all the time on sports Twitter and it’s always been so bizarre to me.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:55 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 pmI'm not sure if this makes me an asshole, but all the people on twitter who are like "I'm an [insert team thats not the Blues here] fan and I'm praying for Bouwmeester" are driving me insane. Why does anyone feel that it somehow makes them look better about hoping someone doesn't die if they're a fan of a different team? Like fuck, it doesn't matter, its a goddamn medical emergency
I see this all the time on sports Twitter and it’s always been so bizarre to me.
Chalk it up to human psychology. Wishing well to others - especially others they don't know - makes people feel better themselves. Unless you're a grumpy old man like me. NOW GET THE FUCK OFFA MY LAWN!!!

A few year's back I was part of an eerily similar event at a beer league game of mine. In the middle of the game I heard a bunch of shouting coming from my own bench while I was on the ice. Eventually the refs stopped the game and I looked over to the bench and saw two skates toes up protruding from the open door to our bench. Somebody from the stands called 911, and fortunately one of our players was a doctor. He started looking after our teammate who had collapsed a few seconds after his shift, just like Bouwmeester. Players that were on the bench when it happened said that he was convulsing and his eyes rolled back in his head after he collapsed. The paramedics arrived a few minutes later and a couple players and I helped to scoot them along the ice to our bench so they could do their thing. It wasn't until I skated the paramedic over that I saw my friend's face, which was motionless and absolutely void of any color. I was sure he was dead, or would be soon. Unlike last night from the sounds of things, they had to use the defibrillators a 2-3 times, which caused his legs to shake for a moment despite still having his skates and pads on. Fortunately, there is a happy ending to the story, as he pulled through, and after a quintuple bypass, he's as good as new. He even convinced his wife to let him start playing beer league again about 2 years after the incident, though I'm not sure he's as concerned about winning every race to the puck.

On one of the NHL Network satellite radio shows today I heard the host say that "if an incident like this is to happen anywhere, on the bench during an NHL game is the best place for it and that a beer league game at 10:30 on a Sunday night you're in big trouble." I can tell him first hand that yes, he's right, but that big trouble can still result in a happy ending.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Sounds like things are looking up for Bouwmeester. They did have to use the defibrillators last night, which I didn't know was the case and amplifies the scariness at the scene even more. Sounds like they don't have any test results yet, but he got to facetime with the rest of the team and he's in very good spirits.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Glad to hear J-BO is feeling better and is not in dire straits. One can only assume he had a previously undetected heart condition, but I guess time (and a zillion tests) will tell on that one. I'd be surprised if his NHL days aren't over.

I am betting we see #19 back on the ice sooner than we think. Some fans are so god damn desperate to be apart of this...predicting retirement before they know anything, and then giving their approval. They are nothing but a bunch of...

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:23 pm I am betting we see #19 back on the ice sooner than we think. Some fans are so god damn desperate to be apart of this...predicting retirement before they know anything, and then giving their approval. They are nothing but a bunch of...
It seems Capt might have died of a heart attack?

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:12 pm... Fortunately, there is a happy ending to the story, as he pulled through, and after a quintuple bypass, he's as good as new. He even convinced his wife to let him start playing beer league again about 2 years after the incident, though I'm not sure he's as concerned about winning every race to the puck. ...
Great for him he didn't quit the league, but I sure hope he quit the beer.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:23 pm I am betting we see #19 back on the ice sooner than we think. Some fans are so god damn desperate to be apart of this...predicting retirement before they know anything, and then giving their approval. They are nothing but a bunch of...
I hope you are right Capt.

Both Jiri Fischer in 2005 and Rich Peverly in 2014 had the same thing happen to them and both also retired due to it...
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Cotton McKnight wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:54 pm
It seems Capt might have died of a heart attack?
Capt'n smokes fried food.

Ozzies09tc wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:10 pm
I hope you are right Capt.

Both Jiri Fischer in 2005 and Rich Peverly in 2014 had the same thing happen to them and both also retired due to it...
There is no point in speculating until the Dr's say what happened.

By "apart of this," do you mean desperate to be away from it? I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that you don't experience "cardiac events" of this nature unless there is something wrong with your heart. So, I would be surprised if doesn't have a heart condition. I was also under the impression that doctors advise people with heart conditions to forgo intense cardio-vascular activity. So, I would be surprised if he wasn't advised to retire. I was also under the impression that he has a family, financial security and the bulk of a very successful career behind him. So, I would be surprised if he didn't take such advice if it were given to him.

insideout wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 pm
By "apart of this," do you mean desperate to be away from it? I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that you don't experience "cardiac events" of this nature unless there is something wrong with your heart. So, I would be surprised if doesn't have a heart condition. I was also under the impression that doctors advise people with heart conditions to forgo intense cardio-vascular activity. So, I would be surprised if he wasn't advised to retire. I was also under the impression that he has a family, financial security and the bulk of a very successful career behind him. So, I would be surprised if he didn't take such advice if it were given to him.
So far everything you have said is speculation. You could be right, but as long as we are talking about a person I am going to err on the side of optimism.

insideout wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 pm
What he said, damn it.

Ya know this devil may care attitude is kinda disturbing. I've tried to revive some people I couldn't. It's hard to sleep for a while. So if JBO doesn't come back I get it. Life is short,live it. 🙏🏼

According to the American Heart Association:
"An ICD is a battery-powered device placed under the skin that keeps track of your heart rate. Thin wires connect the ICD to your heart. If an abnormal heart rhythm is detected the device will deliver an electric shock to restore a normal heartbeat if your heart is beating chaotically and much too fast.

ICDs have been very useful in preventing sudden death in patients with known, sustained ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation. Studies have shown that they may have a role in preventing cardiac arrest in high-risk patients who haven't had, but are at risk for, life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias.

The American Heart Association recommends that before a patient is considered to be a candidate for an ICD, the arrhythmia in question must be life threatening and doctors have ruled out correctable causes of the arrhythmia, such as:

Acute myocardial infarction (heart attack)
Myocardial ischemia (inadequate blood flow to the heart muscle)
Electrolyte imbalance and drug toxicity
Because many people do not understand their underlying condition – such as heart failure or genetic predisposition for risk of sudden cardiac arrest – and because ICDs are used primarily to prevent sudden cardiac death, they in turn may not understand the benefits versus the limitations of having an ICD implanted. If you are one of those people, you will find information and guidance here."

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/ ... llator-icd

So, the fact that he has this device indicates that they know that there is something wrong with his heart that caused him to have an irregular heartbeat, that its life threatening, and that its not "correctable". Not sure what this means for his future, but it doesn't seem good for him playing hockey again, IMO.

This article doesn't make it sound good as far as playing a contact sport with one of those devices:

https://www.tctmd.com/news/athletes-icd ... -reassures