Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Winnipeg Jets - 7:00 2/6 - TV:FSMW/ESPM+ Radio:101.1

BluesSK wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:14 am If they hadn't won the Cup, I would be a tad concerned right now.
I think there's right to be concerned.
This is why Binnington got a short term deal, and I absolutely agreed with it. Goalies are generally unwise long term investments.
Faulk trade is looking like a complete disaster.
Still, the team has put up with some bad injury issues especially up front and still sit at tops in the west. We were always going to hit some slumps.
When healthy, this team is still the team to beat in the west but we need a goalie to step it up because the competition will be stiffer this year as Dallas and Colorado are arguably both better than last year.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:46 am Good lord. Now we’re starting to question JB50?

Y’all act like this team doesn’t know how to handle a bit of adversity. This is nothing compared to the things that happened in the playoffs. They literally just came off a dominating win the game before and are first place in the entire conference.
I think he's enjoying "the life" right now. I think it's kind of a wait and see time to see how he handles it.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:51 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:46 am Good lord. Now we’re starting to question JB50?

Y’all act like this team doesn’t know how to handle a bit of adversity. This is nothing compared to the things that happened in the playoffs. They literally just came off a dominating win the game before and are first place in the entire conference.
I think he's enjoying "the life" right now. I think it's kind of a wait and see time to see how he handles it.
The guy got crushed in game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals and came right back to dominate game 7. Now we have concerns with a guy who hasn't lost more than 2 games in a single month this season? Maybe it's our expectations that are out of whack and not the team.

We don't want to win the Presidents trophy anyway. This is heady play by the team.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 am The Blues were getting better results than their overall play warranted earlier in the year, and over the past week or so the opposite has been true. Just stay healthy and don't lose focus and they'll be alright.
They've just been streaking on both sides of the coin. They won 8 in a row, lost 3, won 4, lost 3 and have basically alternated wins and losses the last 5.

I'm with you, I think they'll be alright when the playoffs roll around. Besides a little bad play might give DA a bit more motivation to make a move.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:45 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:06 am The Blues were getting better results than their overall play warranted earlier in the year, and over the past week or so the opposite has been true. Just stay healthy and don't lose focus and they'll be alright.
They've just been streaking on both sides of the coin. They won 8 in a row, lost 3, won 4, lost 3 and have basically alternated wins and losses the last 5.

I'm with you, I think they'll be alright when the playoffs roll around. Besides a little bad play might give DA a bit more motivation to make a move.
I think DA will make a move if it doesn't compromise the future. Dunn, Sanford and maybe a 2nd rd pick for whatever. Plus whoever he gets, he would sign to an extension. I don't think he goes the rental route. Something along those lines IMO.

BillP. wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:58 am

I think DA will make a move if it doesn't compromise the future. Dunn, Sanford and maybe a 2nd rd pick for whatever. Plus whoever he gets, he would sign to an extension. I don't think he goes the rental route. Something along those lines IMO.
With signing Faulk long term and the looming prospect of paying Petro, I'm not sure how much space the Blues have to add a trade and sign guy. They have cap space now just because Tarasenko is hurt. If he wasn't, that'd be right up against the cap.

BillP. wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:58 am

Trade Sanford? They haven't even finished building his statue yet! :) :)

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:34 am

The guy got crushed in game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals and came right back to dominate game 7. Now we have concerns with a guy who hasn't lost more than 2 games in a single month this season? Maybe it's our expectations that are out of whack and not the team.

We don't want to win the Presidents trophy anyway. This is heady play by the team.
Binnington has given up at least 3 goals in each of his last 6 starts...he hasn't exactly been bouncing back from adversity recently. In addition to that, his save percentage in January was .866. Thats an entire month of terrible goaltending. Outside of October and November (.918 and .934 save percentage respectively), he's been a below average goaltender (.904 in December, .866 in January, .892 so far in February). I love Binnington as much as the next guy but he hasn't been the same goalie he was last year this season besides from the first two months of the year.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:25 pm

Binnington has given up at least 3 goals in each of his last 6 starts...he hasn't exactly been bouncing back from adversity recently. In addition to that, his save percentage in January was .866. Thats an entire month of terrible goaltending. Outside of October and November (.918 and .934 save percentage respectively), he's been a below average goaltender (.904 in December, .866 in January, .892 so far in February). I love Binnington as much as the next guy but he hasn't been the same goalie he was last year this season besides from the first two months of the year.
You said it man, SIX STARTS. Six whole starts. What's his win loss record outside of October/November?

Binnington's game is all based on being psyched out. Last year he was fiery and in that zone. And he started out this year like that as well. Let's give it time and see how he plays the rest of the year. See if he can legitimately find that mental zone again. I mean, he could be a flash in the pan, but let's hope not. At least lets get Cup #2 before that happens :lol:

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:30 pm

You said it man, SIX STARTS. Six whole starts. What's his win loss record outside of October/November?
You were basing an argument for Binnington's play being that he got crushed in game 6 and came back and won game 7. Thats two starts. Obviously two much more important starts, but if the point of that was to show that we shouldn't criticize him because he can bounce back from adversity his 6 starts of 3+ goals is showing that he's struggling to do that now, thats all I'm saying. Also, I don't know where you're getting he hasn't lost more than 2 games in a single month, he lost 4 times in January, 4 times in October, 3 times in November. Unless you're not counting overtime losses as losses, in which case he still lost in regulation 3 times in January.

Also, its not just 6 starts...as I said, since November ended his save percentage has been well below what we'd expect from an average NHL goaltender. I don't see why that is causing such an argument, thats just a fact. .887 save percentage over 2+ months is concerning.

Outside of October/November his record is 11-7-1. Thats pretty good but as we've seen from Jake Allen in the past, long stretches of sub-.910 goaltending eventually ends up hurting the team, which I'd argue is starting to happen now. I'm just saying Binnington needs to be better. He's not the only one who needs to be better either.

I'm not going to lie, Binnington has been ordinary to weak on shots. His mental game may be off right now. He is going to have to dig deep and come back to last years form (and the beginning of this season) if we have a hope in the playoffs.

Faulk, it's a mess. Soon to be a very expensive mess unless he pulls a Petro and gets his shit together real quick.

I'm wondering what the talk in the locker room is: "just keep it even till the playoffs and we'll turn it up" or "Fuck me boys, how about we play some puck instead of fucking up"
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:45 pmOutside of October/November his record is 11-7-1. Thats pretty good but as we've seen from Jake Allen in the past, long stretches of sub-.910 goaltending eventually ends up hurting the team, which I'd argue is starting to happen now. I'm just saying Binnington needs to be better. He's not the only one who needs to be better either.
I'm with you there on all fronts. I mean if you know that Hellebuioadjfkadl;fja (jets goalie whose name I cannot remember how to spell) is going to shut down the bottom of the net and that you need traffic in front, by all means get it the fuck done all the why you are crunching the other team.

I don't see them crunching the other teams, it is giving other teams more confidence against them (in my opinion).

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:45 pm

You were basing an argument for Binnington's play being that he got crushed in game 6 and came back and won game 7. Thats two starts. Obviously two much more important starts, but if the point of that was to show that we shouldn't criticize him because he can bounce back from adversity his 6 starts of 3+ goals is showing that he's struggling to do that now, thats all I'm saying. Also, I don't know where you're getting he hasn't lost more than 2 games in a single month, he lost 4 times in January, 4 times in October, 3 times in November. Unless you're not counting overtime losses as losses, in which case he still lost in regulation 3 times in January.

Also, its not just 6 starts...as I said, since November ended his save percentage has been well below what we'd expect from an average NHL goaltender. I don't see why that is causing such an argument, thats just a fact. .887 save percentage over 2+ months is concerning.

Outside of October/November his record is 11-7-1. Thats pretty good but as we've seen from Jake Allen in the past, long stretches of sub-.910 goaltending eventually ends up hurting the team, which I'd argue is starting to happen now. I'm just saying Binnington needs to be better. He's not the only one who needs to be better either.
No, that's not what I was saying. I was replying to someone saying, we'll see how he handles it. If he can handle the adversity this team faced multiple times in the playoffs including the game 6 at home trainwreck, I'm not concerned how he will handles this.

11-6-1 during his bad months? I'll take that floor all day.

Berube called out the teams defense today, while JB50 has let in some you'd like back(every goalie does)..the breakdowns on defense are what I'm far more concerned about.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:21 pm
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:45 pm

No, that's not what I was saying. I was replying to someone saying, we'll see how he handles it. If he can handle the adversity this team faced multiple times in the playoffs including the game 6 at home trainwreck, I'm not concerned how he will handles this.

11-6-1 during his bad months? I'll take that floor all day.

Berube called out the teams defense today, while JB50 has let in some you'd like back(every goalie does)..the breakdowns on defense are what I'm far more concerned about.
You're not wrong about the D having breakdowns. It's just weird to see this team right now. They're almost reverting to the beginning of last season. Petro firing everything over the net, goalies letting softies, lack of hitting, watching dmen trying to do too much and covering an already covered man (looking at you Faulk, you don't get a pass just because you weren't here for the previous bad times).

We're missing that smothering defense, is Mikkola on the shit list? I thought the kid played well, kinda cheaper Colt55. I'm definitely not on the Faulk bandwagon, he had 1 little stretch this year that almost brought me on board but his lack of physicality and indecisiveness has soured me. I believe someone posted when we acquired him that the jerks mostly said good riddance. I think I see why. His #s suck, you would need another hand to count the times in a game he makes a fucked up pass in the defensive zone. I cringe when he climbs over the board.

BlueinNy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:33 am We're missing that smothering defense, is Mikkola on the shit list? I thought the kid played well, kinda cheaper Colt55. I'm definitely not on the Faulk bandwagon, he had 1 little stretch this year that almost brought me on board but his lack of physicality and indecisiveness has soured me. I believe someone posted when we acquired him that the jerks mostly said good riddance. I think I see why. His #s suck, you would need another hand to count the times in a game he makes a fucked up pass in the defensive zone. I cringe when he climbs over the board.
Our D looked great when Mikkola was in the lineup, but has largely looked like trash since they sent him back down. There’s nothing fancy about the guy and I’m certainly not anointing him the next Larry Robinson, but if something is working, why screw with it? I love Chief and Army, so I’m not being a whiny Asylum bitch, but I just don’t understand some of the decisions they make.