Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Carolina - 7:00 2/4 - TV:FSMW Radio:101.1

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:22 pm
barnburner wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:49 pm
39hurricane wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:38 pm

It comes down to what is a better use of that spot. Brouwer just filling in, or Kostin getting some NHL expierence.

Brouwer is just a warm body at this point.
Depends on your point of view. To me, Brouwer plays the kind of game that Berube wants, especially out of his third and 4th lines wingers. Up and down the wing, takes the body, gets the puck deep, and screens the goalie on offense. Not flashy, but it helps win hockey games.
Plus, we've already got Kyrou learning at this level. One trainee at a time.
Berube wants a slow non impactful game out of his 3rd and 4th line wingers? Kind of flies in the face of every single other winger on the bottom 6. All have skill, all can skate, all can chip in on special teams.
It's a trade off. Speed vs veteran experience. How many times have we been burned by one of our younger and faster guys failing to get the puck deep, or losing track of their man? How many of our speedy bottom six wingers are capable or willing to screen the goalie?
Just my take.

barnburner wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:37 am

Depends on your point of view. To me, Brouwer plays the kind of game that Berube wants, especially out of his third and 4th lines wingers. Up and down the wing, takes the body, gets the puck deep, and screens the goalie on offense. Not flashy, but it helps win hockey games.
Berube wants a slow non impactful game out of his 3rd and 4th line wingers? Kind of flies in the face of every single other winger on the bottom 6. All have skill, all can skate, all can chip in on special teams.
It's a trade off. Speed vs veteran experience. How many times have we been burned by one of our younger and faster guys failing to get the puck deep, or losing track of their man? How many of our speedy bottom six wingers are capable or willing to screen the goalie?
Just my take.
To further your point, Sanford, who is now the golden boy, tried to make a cute little pass in his own zone on the penalty kill last night. It got picked off and almost resulted in a Canes goal. But, it doesn't get mentioned because he his on fire right now.
Every player has strengths and weaknesses. You just have to look past the stat sheet to see Brouwer's strengths.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:44 am

Just my take.
To further your point, Sanford, who is now the golden boy, tried to make a cute little pass in his own zone on the penalty kill last night. It got picked off and almost resulted in a Canes goal. But, it doesn't get mentioned because he his on fire right now.
Every player has strengths and weaknesses. You just have to look past the stat sheet to see Brouwer's strengths.
Brouwer is on limited role and he's played only sporadically. Give him ice time and a bigger role he will still play to his strengths. That's the thing about Sanford, he's hot on the stat sheet right now but even when he plays well, he tends to have a mental lapse or back off and go soft again. He doesn't seem to play a full game from start to finish.

Just my take.
All of them except for maybe Kyrou....
Just a Russian propaganda account

MattyIce wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:58 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:47 am
MattyIce wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:31 am

He led the team with 4 hits and was a +1. He even had decent corsi stats for you people that care about that (I don't). And he did that while playing the least amount of minutes. Sounds like what you want out of your fourth line.
Also, that is the same number of hits that Mac Mac has in his last 5 games combined. Brouwer also played more minutes last night than DLR has played in his last 3 games.
It's really not. I want a guy who brings more to the ice than being "responsible in his own end" as he is often described. He's played 12 games at this point and has contributed A point.

Think about the 4th line last year of Blais, Barbashev, Sunqvist. That's the kind of talent you need on a 4th line. Guys that can do anything you need them to do. Brouwer is incredibly limited other than running into people he can catch.
I never said that I would have him in the lineup if everyone was healthy. In a perfect world, the Blues wouldn't have had any injuries and would have had no need for him. I just get tired of people thinking that he is a useless player. There is more to hockey than just points. If people didn't learn that after watching the Blues wear teams down last year, then I guess they never will.
I also remember people saying the exact same things about Maroon last year. Then when it was time to play big boy hockey in the spring, the big boys rose up to the challenge including him.
I've never seen a 4th line player that was so controversial :lol:
There is other things than points...and in my opinion all of the other guys the Blues could be trotting out there over Brouwer are better at all of the other things in hockey than he is at this point.

Like, you're comparing him here to MacMac and DLR...two guys who also, when everyone is healthy, don't belong in the Blues lineup. Thats not exactly a glowing recommendation for Brouwer. He's just not that good at this point. If you're saying you wouldn't have him in the lineup when everyone is healthy, I don't know what we're arguing about here because that was the main point of my reply back to you:
UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:40 am Brouwer did absolutely nothing of note last night, good nor bad. That might be fine on a fourth line of a middling team, but he doesn't have a place anywhere near this team when people are healthy. Jordan Nolan did more in his brief callups last year than Brouwer has this year IMO.

MattyIce wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:30 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:40 pm I like that this conversation was had after a dominating win. Hahah How did we ever survive the previous 50 seasons?!
:lol: No kidding. We dominate a pretty good team and then dive deep into convo about a 4th line winger. This really is a great time to be a Blues fan
I'm happy we can take a deep dive on what "tweaks" need to happen, versus, how we used talk about maybe needing to blow it all up.