GDT: St Louis Blues @ Edmonton - 8:00 1/31 - TV:FSMW Radio:101.1

About the Oilers: The last time the Blues played here, Alexander Steen suffered a high-ankle sprain that sidelined him for 16 games, and Robby Fabbri was traded to Detroit after the Nov. 6 game. The Blues won 5-2, a deceptive score because the last two goals were empty-netters. The Blues then beat Edmonton 2-1 on Dec. 18 in St. Louis, so the Oilers are trying to avoid a season sweep in the three-game series.

Edmonton is coming off an emotional, hard-fought 4-3 shootout loss Wednesday to Calgary in the Battle of Alberta — the Oilers’ first game following the All-Star break. Calgary-Edmonton is the NHL’s hottest rivalry, and the Oilers are in Calgary on Saturday to play the Flames. Will they be caught looking ahead against the Blues?

As always, it starts and ends for Edmonton with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, who are tied for the NHL scoring lead with 27 goals and 50 assists apiece.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/ ... user-share
Just a Russian propaganda account

Re: GDT: St Louis Blues @ Edmonton - 8:00 1/31 - TV:FSMW Radio:101.1

So I just came across the chart in an Athletic article looking at Blues skater. "GAR" is goals above replacement, essentially supposed to be an all encompassing stat to assess skaters with. I thought it might make for some interesting pre-game conversation.
I typically enjoy looking at the "fancy stats" and see where they might fit with evaluating a player, but this seems...insane. Oskar Sundqvist is the worst defensive forward on the team (even strength defense is super red?). Sanford is better than Schenn and Perron? I also love how MachEachern doesn't even get his full name on the chart, haha.

On the defense side, Petro is third among all skaters in the NHL in this stat (don't get me wrong, he's been good, but not that good). The stat is really not a fan of Faulk or JBo, and says Parayko is a bad even strength defender as well.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:49 pm So I just came across the chart in an Athletic article looking at Blues skater. "GAR" is goals above replacement, essentially supposed to be an all encompassing stat to assess skaters with. I thought it might make for some interesting pre-game conversation.

Player-GAR-values.png

I typically enjoy looking at the "fancy stats" and see where they might fit with evaluating a player, but this seems...insane. Oskar Sundqvist is the worst defensive forward on the team (even strength defense is super red?). Sanford is better than Schenn and Perron? I also love how MachEachern doesn't even get his full name on the chart, haha.

On the defense side, Petro is third among all skaters in the NHL in this stat (don't get me wrong, he's been good, but not that good). The stat is really not a fan of Faulk or JBo, and says Parayko is a bad even strength defender as well.
The important thing to remember about stats, both, advanced and traditional, is their context or lack thereof. This one is stripped of a lot of key contextual factors, such as opposition, linemates, systen and zone starts. The author of that article, Sean Tierney would probably be the first to point out its limitations. Parayko for instance always draws the toughest assignments, which is lost in this chart. I think most fancy stat guys would tell you that in no way should they replace the eye test, but should add another layer to analysis.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Blues projected lineup
Jaden Schwartz -- Brayden Schenn -- Jordan Kyrou

Zach Sanford -- Ryan O'Reilly -- David Perron

Alexander Steen -- Robert Thomas -- Tyler Bozak

Sammy Blais -- Jacob de la Rose -- Ivan Barbashev

Alex Pietrangelo -- Justin Faulk

Jay Bouwmeester -- Colton Parayko

Vince Dunn -- Carl Gunnarsson

Jake Allen

Jordan Binnington

Scratched: Mackenzie MacEachern, Robert Bortuzzo

Injured: Vladimir Tarasenko (upper body), Oskar Sundqvist (lower body)

Oilers projected lineup
James Neal -- Connor McDavid -- Zack Kassian

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins -- Leon Draisaitl -- Kailer Yamamoto

Gaetan Haas -- Riley Sheahan -- Josh Archibald

Jujhar Khaira -- Sam Gagner -- Alex Chiasson

Oscar Klefbom -- Ethan Bear

Darnell Nurse -- Adam Larsson

Caleb Jones -- Matt Benning

Mikko Koskinen

Mike Smith

Scratched: Patrick Russell, Tyler Benson, William Lagesson

Injured: Joakim Nygard (hand), Kris Russell (concussion)
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Matangama wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:43 pm
Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:42 pm
Matangama wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:26 pm Uhhhh......Robby Fabbri is scratched? Me thinks that’s not the right lineup!
fuck grabbed the wrong link
All good Oz........just a little ball busting on my part!
this is why important things should not be left to me! Im here to say dumb things not do dumb things!
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!