Re: GDT: Blues at Flames 1/28 8 pm

barnburner wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 pm Give them credit for FINALLY getting their act together in the 3d, but it never should have been close.
That was a disgusting effort.
If The Blues don't hit a free-skating team, they are giving away an advantage, and evening up the field. When BOTH teams play their game, The Blues are much better. When The Blues don't hit, they make it hard on themselves. But 2 points is great, and helps make up for last night. Blues are in okay shape, especially losing all those players for so long. But, it's giving playing more time for Kyrou, Blais, Sundqvist, Barbashev, Thomas, and even Sanford, to work on their game. When everyone is healthy at the stretch run and playoffs, The Blues will be able to give key players rest, and will skate rings around the competitors late in the playoffs. :mrgreen:

Robb_K wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 pm
barnburner wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 pm Give them credit for FINALLY getting their act together in the 3d, but it never should have been close.
That was a disgusting effort.
If The Blues don't hit a free-skating team, they are giving away an advantage, and evening up the field. When BOTH teams play their game, The Blues are much better. When The Blues don't hit, they make it hard on themselves. But 2 points is great, and helps make up for last night. Blues are in okay shape, especially losing all those players for so long. But, it's giving playing more time for Kyrou, Blais, Sundqvist, Barbashev, Thomas, and even Sanford, to work on their game. When everyone is healthy at the stretch run and playoffs, The Blues will be able to give key players rest, and will skate rings around the competitors late in the playoffs. :mrgreen:
I don't think they can keep that up during the regular season. Come playoff time they will be hitting and opposing teams fans will be whining. I agree with you about letting some of these younger guys get more ice time.

I don't know what they are doing with Kyrou.

BlueinNy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:35 am Just perused game stats. Sandford had a great game compared to the rest. Credit where credit is due, looks good on him.
Yep. Gotta admit it. He had a very good game, although I had to laugh about the number of hits he was given credit for. Maybe they should change the designation to "touches," instead of "hits." LOL.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:01 am If Sanford can find some consistency and actually win a battle or two once in a while, he'll be a nice player and have a nice career for himself. The time for him to prove that is now.
Ya know how the puck seems to follow some guys around.... I think that he’s one of those guys. I’m amazed at how often he’s got the puck, for how terrible he’s supposed to be.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:17 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:01 am If Sanford can find some consistency and actually win a battle or two once in a while, he'll be a nice player and have a nice career for himself. The time for him to prove that is now.
Ya know how the puck seems to follow some guys around.... I think that he’s one of those guys. I’m amazed at how often he’s got the puck, for how terrible he’s supposed to be.
Yup, I think his hockey sense is a strength. He's got a good shot and good hands. He's frustrating at times but the tools are evident. If he puts it all together on a regular basis he'll be a valuable player.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:44 am
Yup, I think his hockey sense is a strength. He's got a good shot and good hands. He's frustrating at times but the tools are evident. If he puts it all together on a regular basis he'll be a valuable player.
Could he just win a damn battle on the boards sometime? Damn hes so fucking frustrating to watch in that aspect, how long will Chief put up with it? That's not the identity of this team, that's what drives me bonkers.

I'm not buying in because of 2 goals. Someone said it best a while ago when they compared him to Jaskin. You will see flashes of nice plays, but will inevitably be inconsistent and frustrating. Great shot, great hands, but I still don't really like him as a player and still don't think he will develop into anything more than he is now.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:08 am I'm not buying in because of 2 goals. Someone said it best a while ago when they compared him to Jaskin. You will see flashes of nice plays, but will inevitably be inconsistent and frustrating. Great shot, great hands, but I still don't really like him as a player and still don't think he will develop into anything more than he is now.
I agree. He doesn't do much without the puck, other than get into scoring position once-in-a-while. But his defence is lousy, and he doesn't help in the hitting and forechecking pressure, and doesn't create turnovers. He doesn't play The Blues' style game (Berube's game). So, I'm surprised he plays when 2-way, 200 ft. players are healthy, when Berube knows that his scoring periods are in sporadic, short clusters, with long dead periods in between.

BlueinNy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:49 am

Could he just win a damn battle on the boards sometime? Damn hes so fucking frustrating to watch in that aspect, how long will Chief put up with it? That's not the identity of this team, that's what drives me bonkers.
I don't disagree, but if he's providing offense he's going to stay in, and he should. If he doesn't have a sturdy enough game to hold up when he's not scoring it's going to be a problem.

Dave's a mess wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:19 am

I don't disagree, but if he's providing offense he's going to stay in, and he should. If he doesn't have a sturdy enough game to hold up when he's not scoring it's going to be a problem.
Two more games...

Turk Sanderson wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:38 am
Two more games...
Like Dave said, not if he keeps doing what hes doing, lol.

BlueinNy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:50 am

Two more games...
Somebody remind me the significance of the 40 gp plateau.

BlueinNy wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:50 am

Two more games...
I'm not complaining about him at all... but two more games, and he becomes a different kind of asset. I'm not into the whole whipping-boy concept, especially if you look at the standings. There's flaws in everyone's game. I'm still waiting for someone to come forward and point out a loss that can be pinned solely on him. He's not a star player, and he's not paid like one. LGB!!!

MattyIce wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:08 am I'm not buying in because of 2 goals. Someone said it best a while ago when they compared him to Jaskin. You will see flashes of nice plays, but will inevitably be inconsistent and frustrating. Great shot, great hands, but I still don't really like him as a player and still don't think he will develop into anything more than he is now.
I think you're forgetting just how bad Jaskin was. He played 4 seasons with us, never put up more than 18 points, and that included time playing with Stastny, Steen, etc. Sanford put up 20 points last year and has 17 points in 38 games this year. Sanford is a MUCH better player than Jaskin ever was for us. Not saying Sanford isn't frustrating and there are certainly times where it just seems like the effort just isn't there for some reason, but I think the "Sanford sucks" mentality in here has gotten us to the point where we all think he's worse than he actually is.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:20 pm
I think you're forgetting just how bad Jaskin was. He played 4 seasons with us, never put up more than 18 points, and that included time playing with Stastny, Steen, etc. Sanford put up 20 points last year and has 17 points in 38 games this year. Sanford is a MUCH better player than Jaskin ever was for us. Not saying Sanford isn't frustrating and there are certainly times where it just seems like the effort just isn't there for some reason, but I think the "Sanford sucks" mentality in here has gotten us to the point where we all think he's worse than he actually is.
Group think is a real thing. Sanford ain't that bad. He's not good, but for what he's paid he does OK. What kills him for people is that he's not exciting in any way and seems to not be a high effort level player on the surface anyway.

Now Faulk on the other hand needs to step the fuck up on the offensive side. We see that in his own zone he just doesn't get it. Fine, so show us that offense if you're going to be a bad defensive player.