Re: The Blues and the 2020 Trade Deadline 2.24.2020

From Friedman's 31 Thoughts today...
21. Chris Kreider took a full practice on Tuesday and will be in the lineup for the Rangers on Wednesday. If St. Louis is not his eventual destination, one of the Blues’ fallback options would be Florida’s Mike Hoffman. St. Louis considered him twice before, and did extensive research before Ottawa traded him. Of course, the Panthers have to decide if they’re going to go this route. They are looking for some defensive help. In their last 25 games, they’ve given up fewer than 28 shots just once. Six of those games were in the forties, including Tuesday’s 1-0 overtime loss to Columbus. The goaltending numbers may not look great, but those guys have been pretty good.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:23 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:50 pm I'm not sure what the article says, but going off the headline, if the Blues decide they are all set because Zach Sanford is here, that would be foolish imo

Long answer...no. Fuck JR...he wouldn't know a Sherwood from a pixie stick.
Rutherford didn't write the article. Sean Tierney (@Chartinghockey on Twitter) did. He looks at Sanford's recent play from an analytic standpoint. A couple snippets:
P Basically, he says Sanford has played well beyond the points for a bit & if he continues to do so, it won't be the worst option on Earth if Army finds rental prices too high.

usmcaaron wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:50 pm I'm not sure what the article says, but going off the headline, if the Blues decide they are all set because Zach Sanford is here, that would be foolish imo

Rutherford didn't write the article. Sean Tierney (@Chartinghockey on Twitter) did. He looks at Sanford's recent play from an analytic standpoint. A couple snippets:
P
Screenshot_20200205-210632_The Athletic.jpg
Screenshot_20200205-210205_The Athletic.jpg
Screenshot_20200205-210707_The Athletic.jpg

Basically, he says Sanford has played well beyond the points for a bit & if he continues to do so, it won't be the worst option on Earth if Army finds rental prices too high.
The Blues had Sanford last year and any trade would be to replace Tarasenko's production, which Sanford doesn't do.

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:20 pm
usmcaaron wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 pm

P
Screenshot_20200205-210632_The Athletic.jpg
Screenshot_20200205-210205_The Athletic.jpg
Screenshot_20200205-210707_The Athletic.jpg

Basically, he says Sanford has played well beyond the points for a bit & if he continues to do so, it won't be the worst option on Earth if Army finds rental prices too high.
The Blues had Sanford last year and any trade would be to replace Tarasenko's production, which Sanford doesn't do.
Of course he doesn't. There's no player available via trade that does, either. But, they don't need that, per se. They just need reliable secondary scoring. There's no denying that if Sanford continues to play on his current level, he'll more than carry his weight.

That's the problem, though. There's too much inconsistancy there & not enough of a track record, even if he goes for 2-3 more weeks to the deadline playing well. Tierney is saying THIS version of Sanford is a good plan B, if trades don't go through, but IMO, the Blues should look to bring someone in regardless of how Sanford's playing.

BillP. wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:50 pm What pieces do you think Army will surrender for a scorer? A number 1 pick? Perunovich? Or maybe an existing roster player like Dunn? What assets do you think Army will toy with?
I doubt it would require a roster player. I think this year's 1st is in play, & probably just about any prospect. I think it would take a lot to get Perunovich , Kyrou, or Kostin.
There just isn't a real game-changing player available worthy of too large of a package, IMO. Kreider, Toffolin, Palmieri, etc are good players, but they're not top-line players you'd sell the farm for.

Kreider will probably cost a 1st and a prospect. Since the Blues prospect pool isn't that deep, the ask will probably be Kostin/Perunovich assuming Kyrou is off the table. Is Armstrong willing to pay that? I think he'll have to given that the Blues 1st rounder on paper will be in the late 20s if the playoffs go chalk (which of course they never do). I'm not sure exactly who else is after Kreider besides Boston I think.

All this is a way of saying I'm starting to think the Blues stand pat or just make some minor tweaks like the Del Zotto deal last year. If nobody else is willing to include a 1st for Kreider I think that changes, but we shall see.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:25 pm
BillP. wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:50 pm What pieces do you think Army will surrender for a scorer? A number 1 pick? Perunovich? Or maybe an existing roster player like Dunn? What assets do you think Army will toy with?
If the Blues trade Perunovich I think we will have to do hourly wellness checks on our friend Tim.
Id be a tad bit upset for sure
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:24 am Kreider will probably cost a 1st and a prospect. Since the Blues prospect pool isn't that deep, the ask will probably be Kostin/Perunovich assuming Kyrou is off the table. Is Armstrong willing to pay that? I think he'll have to given that the Blues 1st rounder on paper will be in the late 20s if the playoffs go chalk (which of course they never do). I'm not sure exactly who else is after Kreider besides Boston I think.

All this is a way of saying I'm starting to think the Blues stand pat or just make some minor tweaks like the Del Zotto deal last year. If nobody else is willing to include a 1st for Kreider I think that changes, but we shall see.
Lebrun, Friedman, JR, etc actually mention Colorado as a team hot on his trail, and they say there's at least 8 teams keeping tabs.

I believe it will certainly take a 1st + prospect. The "winner" will likely be the team that offers the highest-ceiling prospect.