Backes...

Has anybody heard anything ? Just curious to see if he reported to the Bruins farm team. If he dont report I would assume he dont get paid the rest of the money owed. I thought he had a 1 way contract as in it dosnt matter where he plays he still gets paid the same.

Re: Backes...

BluesSK wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:19 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:04 am Update:

Is he done or are they just going to terminate his contract to allow him to sign elsewhere?
They are stuck with his salary aren't they?
I think they can technically terminate his contract with cause if he doesn't report (like LA with Kovaluchuk), though that's not what it sounds like they're going to do. I think I saw somewhere that the idea is that they will try to work out a trade for him, and if they can't, he'l report to Providence. Unless his contract is terminated, he still gets paid his regular paycheck, even if in the minors. I don't know why in the world anyone would trade for a 4th liner with a $6M cap hit next year, but who knows. Maybe Ottawa will find his contract appealing since the cap hit exceeds the real cash owed.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:04 pm Why would Backes risk injury in the AHL? He could retire if he thought he was in danger of injury...he wants to play and he could contribute to a team.
True, and the Bruins can't buy out his contract this offseason if he gets hurt either.

Although I think he should retire because of his concussions, I doubt very much if he is going to walk away from that last year on his contract. That extra year on the contract was important enough to him that he rejected the Blues contract offer and went to Boston. Not criticizing the guy......$6 million is $6 million! So suck a dick, Bruins. Pay the man to go away.

Matangama wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:42 am Although I think he should retire because of his concussions, I doubt very much if he is going to walk away from that last year on his contract. That extra year on the contract was important enough to him that he rejected the Blues contract offer and went to Boston. Not criticizing the guy......$6 million is $6 million! So suck a dick, Bruins. Pay the man to go away.
I'd like to see what his portfolio is before I made that call. That six million couldn't possibly be worth six million if it means extending the amount of damage he is suffering.

39hurricane wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:02 pmBackes is not on the Bruins or Providence roster. Cap Friendly just says "buried"
A "buried contract" is a term of the NHL CBA, as described by Cap Friendly here. "buried" can also be shorthand for "Providence" to those who know the Bruins' affiliate relationship. Bruins-PBruins is a 1930s-50s style hockey partnership: "Play by our rules, or you'll be buried so deep you'll never see a charter flight again."

JMC-STL wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:06 am
39hurricane wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:02 pmBackes is not on the Bruins or Providence roster. Cap Friendly just says "buried"
A "buried contract" is a term of the NHL CBA, as described by Cap Friendly here. "buried" can also be shorthand for "Providence" to those who know the Bruins' affiliate relationship. Bruins-PBruins is a 1930s-50s style hockey partnership: "Play by our rules, or you'll be buried so deep you'll never see a charter flight again."
As I said, he is not listed on the Providence Bruins roster. It seems he is in no man's land. Maybe they realy are trying to terminate the contract.

39hurricane wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:50 am
JMC-STL wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:06 am
As I said, he is not listed on the Providence Bruins roster. It seems he is in no man's land. Maybe they realy are trying to terminate the contract.
They aren't going to terminate since this was a mutually agreed upon move. They are going to buy him out in the offseason, but they can't do that if he gets injured in Providence.