Re: Most overrated Blues player of all time?

BillP. wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:29 pm Bob Hess has to be a candidate. Or maybe he’s the most overhyped?

I will say this, I never thought of Federko as a Hall of Famer. Was shocked he got in.

He was an average skater at best with no speed. But with that said, it shows you how great a talent he was in terms of vision, intelligence and soft hands he had. No doubt in my mind, if Bernie had wheels, he might of been the 2nd best Center in league behind Gretzky. I think if Bernie had speed, he could of done so much more on the ice because he did have a creative mind.
I've always wondered if the Blues didn't rush Bobby Hess too fast. He could really skate. But that aside, you're right. He never lived up to expectations.

Over-rated? Tough to say, but honestly I think Tarasenko is up there. I love him but I hear people in STL talk about him like he's the best player in the league but those tend to be very casual fans.

Among hardcore fans? Probably Brian Sutter.

Hard question to answer given the Blues history a lot of players that weren't all that great got put on pedestals here in STL.

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:56 pm Over-rated? Tough to say, but honestly I think Tarasenko is up there. I love him but I hear people in STL talk about him like he's the best player in the league but those tend to be very casual fans.

Hard question to answer given the Blues history a lot of players that weren't all that great got put on pedestals here in STL.
Tarasenko once performed heart surgery on a rare Whooping Crane ...with a wrist shot. He's a GOD damn hero!!!

ratonmono wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:56 pm Over-rated? Tough to say, but honestly I think Tarasenko is up there. I love him but I hear people in STL talk about him like he's the best player in the league but those tend to be very casual fans.

You mean like Barrett Jackman?

You probably can’t hear it, but just know I’m
Booing you.
Just a Russian propaganda account

netboy65 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:47 am

Oh my GOD!!! You will burn in the 9th HELL of fanboy rage for saying this!!! Jackman won the Calder trophy!!! He could almost make a clearing pass, he was the next Scott Stevens...according to the jock sniffing patrol.

I can see if you personally think Tarasenko is overrated, but to say he is the most overrated of all time is kind of ridiculous.
I will never understand the Tarasenko hate from a fraction of Blues fans. 5 straight season of 30+ goals. Plus at 7.5 million, his contract is very fair for that caliber of player. I will never forget that penalty shot goal against the Sharks last year, or the Winter Classic winner, or the goal from on his back early in his career. His hustle and pass on the Schenn goal in game 7 was basically the nail in the coffin to secure the Cup as well.
KA-KAW!

MattyIce wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10 am

I can see if you personally think Tarasenko is overrated, but to say he is the most overrated of all time is kind of ridiculous.
I will never understand the Tarasenko hate from a fraction of Blues fans. 5 straight season of 30+ goals. Plus at 7.5 million, his contract is very fair for that caliber of player. I will never forget that penalty shot goal against the Sharks last year, or the Winter Classic winner, or the goal from on his back early in his career. His hustle and pass on the Schenn goal in game 7 was basically the nail in the coffin to secure the Cup as well.
I do not see him as overrated at all. Overhyped??? Probably...but the guy is the teams best goal scorer and his wrist shot puts the fear of GOD in other teams.

MattyIce wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10 am

No I don't personally think he's over rated by people who know what they're talking about. He's been my favorite Blue since he arrived. But then you also have casual fans who think Tarasenko is like McDavid/Crosby level. I was speaking of those fans.

Tarasenko is a great player, I just have heard stupid stuff out of too many mouths (especially at games) like if Hitch wasn't holding him back he'd be a 50 goal 100 point guy. I think before his career is done he might threaten to get 50 in a single season and may come close to 100 points but that's not going to be a regular thing.

Yes exactly like Jackman. Solid bottom pairing guy in his prime nothing more. Playing alongside Chopper can do wonders for a young d-man.

ratonmono wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:31 pm

Yes exactly like Jackman. Solid bottom pairing guy in his prime nothing more. Playing alongside Chopper can do wonders for a young d-man.
Two way street on this one. Jackman was always there to take on anybody that tried to cheapshot MacInnis, giving Al more room to operate. Prior to the rule changes, Jackman was a stud. Quenneville said that one year, he might have been the best dman in the league. I think that's a little much, but Q said it, obviously he had a very high opinion of Jax.

barnburner wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:17 pm

Two way street on this one. Jackman was always there to take on anybody that tried to cheapshot MacInnis, giving Al more room to operate. Prior to the rule changes, Jackman was a stud. Quenneville said that one year, he might have been the best dman in the league. I think that's a little much, but Q said it, obviously he had a very high opinion of Jax.
Everything this man just said is 100% fact.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:31 pm

One of the greatest defensemen ever needed a "thug protector" on his pairing or he wouldnt be one of the greatest defenders ever?

I dont buy it.

I dont recall twist or chase playing on hull's line much...
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Ozzies09tc wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:28 pm

One of the greatest defensemen ever needed a "thug protector" on his pairing or he wouldnt be one of the greatest defenders ever?

I dont buy it.

Nothing you said, is anything he said so it’s hard to give a proper reply.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm

I dont buy it.

Al MacInis was a world class defencemen before Jackman ever put on skates....saying Jackman made him room is like saying I protect the Keebler Elves by being a customer.

Overrated now, looking back? Or overrated at the time, when they played or before they joined the team?

Erik Johnson would certainly lead the pack on that latter one, as a #1 over-all draft pick. Chris Stewart would be another one that even I WANTED so badly to succeed, teasing with 23 points in 26 games the season of his trade, and 36 points in 48 games for the lockout season, he just didn't live up to what fans were hoping to see in him.

Going back a ways, as I recall there was a big to-do about signing Petr Nedved away from Vancouver, like he was going to be a real difference maker, instead of fizzling out after, what, like 20 games in the Bluenote?

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:45 pm Overrated now, looking back? Or overrated at the time, when they played or before they joined the team?

Erik Johnson would certainly lead the pack on that latter one, as a #1 over-all draft pick. Chris Stewart would be another one that even I WANTED so badly to succeed, teasing with 23 points in 26 games the season of his trade, and 36 points in 48 games for the lockout season, he just didn't live up to what fans were hoping to see in him.

Going back a ways, as I recall there was a big to-do about signing Petr Nedved away from Vancouver, like he was going to be a real difference maker, instead of fizzling out after, what, like 20 games in the Bluenote?
Nedved....19 games...6 goals 14 assists 20 pts.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:35 pm
RAFritchey wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:45 pm Overrated now, looking back? Or overrated at the time, when they played or before they joined the team?

I don't recall why we moved on from him so quickly, especially after a start like that.

RAFritchey wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:50 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:35 pm

I don't recall why we moved on from him so quickly, especially after a start like that.
Had to look it up. It was a Mike Keenan deal where he shipped him off to Rangers for Tikannen and Doug Lidster. The only thing I never understood was why the Blues let Tikannen go the following year and then they get Gretzky. Didn’t understand that. No doubt in my mind if they had kept Tikannen and had Gretzky been healthy, they give Colorado a run for their money in the Conference Finals.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:43 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:34 pm

I dont buy it.

Al MacInis was a world class defencemen before Jackman ever put on skates....saying Jackman made him room is like saying I protect the Keebler Elves by being a customer.
And I appreciate your service