Mike Yeo first interview about being fired

https://theathletic.com/1526759/2020/01 ... anley-cup/

There's a lot in here, but Yeo summarizes his "failings" as:

1. Not pushing the team hard enough in 2017-18, the season before he got fired.
2. Not handling the high expectations in the 2018-19 season well enough.
3. Changing his coaching philosophy to boost goal-scoring in 2018-19.
4. Getting away from being himself.

Reading this quote, he comes off sounding like a guy who has absolutely no idea how to lead.
A lot of my influences come from reading things or going to conferences. You hear a guy like Scotty Bowman talk, you hear successful coaches, and they say, ‘You push when things are going well, and when they aren’t, that’s when you back off. I think that I followed that too literally. I think that I should have pushed a little bit harder and demanded a little bit more at that time. I was a little bit worried about the psyche and the confidence of the team, and I feel like we kind of started to lose our belief … we kind of started to lose our game. Then when I started to push a little bit at the end (of the season). I think the timing of how I handled everything was not right. I should have demanded a little more (sooner), as opposed to trying to be worried about the psyche, the confidence. That was a real learning experience for me.
He also later in the interview says that watching the Blues, he doesn't really think Berube's system is any different than his really. Which I could not disagree with more. Good riddance.

Re: Mike Yeo first interview about being fired

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 am https://theathletic.com/1526759/2020/01 ... anley-cup/

Reading this quote, he comes off sounding like a guy who has absolutely no idea how to lead.
A lot of my influences come from reading things or going to conferences. You hear a guy like Scotty Bowman talk, you hear successful coaches, and they say, ‘You push when things are going well, and when they aren’t, that’s when you back off. I think that I followed that too literally. I think that I should have pushed a little bit harder and demanded a little bit more at that time. I was a little bit worried about the psyche and the confidence of the team, and I feel like we kind of started to lose our belief … we kind of started to lose our game. Then when I started to push a little bit at the end (of the season). I think the timing of how I handled everything was not right. I should have demanded a little more (sooner), as opposed to trying to be worried about the psyche, the confidence. That was a real learning experience for me.
He also later in the interview says that watching the Blues, he doesn't really think Berube's system is any different than his really. Which I could not disagree with more. Good riddance.
The Mike Yeo interview reel, this interview will get him into an associates role, maybe if he's lucky a head coaching position. He is a more fortunate version of Davis Payne (since Yeo head coached two teams in the NHL).

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 am https://theathletic.com/1526759/2020/01 ... anley-cup/

This made me audibly laugh out loud.

The poor guy is delusional
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

Ozzies09tc wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 pm
Cotton McKnight wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm This guy comes off as a total jackass. Self awareness, or complete lack of I should say, is not what you want out of anyone in leadership.
Anyone who hires him for an HC job must be looking to tank...
Lose for Hughes?

wait....
I remember wanting that for about half a season...

I don't know, I didn't think it was that bad. My read on it was that he knows he made some mistakes, clearly feels shitty about it still. When he said the Blues shouldn't give him a ring, to me he's giving full credit where due. I know some of the comments seem like he's trying to take some form of ownership of last year's team, but I think he knows there's no way the Championship happens with him at the helm.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

I have mixed feelings about that interview. I appreciate the honesty, as he really lays it out there instead of giving bullshit canned answers. On the other hand, I’m kind of annoyed because he never gives you the impression that he is happy that the Blues won the Cup. I understand the feelings after getting fired......been there before, and my old CEO could die in a flaming car crash for all I care! But he coached the players, and should have had a bond with them. I would think he would have been thrilled to see those guys win it all. Be pissed at management, but he should be happy for the players and his coaching staff. He does say some nice things about the organization and fans, though, so there is that.

Whatever.......glad we have Chief.

I listened to the podcast with JR and Jax and heard some of the Yeo interview bits.

As a person he's probably an ok guy but as a coach he sucked. I just didn't see the motivation from him transfer over to the team. They were a bunch of emotionless drones out there going through the motions. It was painful to watch because he just sucked the life out of the team.