Best in the West....

After watching the game last night I think the Blues are the Class of the West and they play like this on most nights and just find ways to win games with out there best pure goal scorer { 91 } With that said they just play for Berube and have a Total buy in and that's what wining the Stanley Cup has done to this team it has taught them how to win games were there not at there best but its how they go about it. Sticking to the game plan and finishing games. like i said not always at there best on some nights . But they find a way thats a Championship pedigree these Blues Have .. Can you say REPEAT ?

Re: Best in the West....

Yes, the Blues should be considered a top 4 contender at this time, playing great even with tough injuries, and getting great goaltending from both 1A and 1B, and probably the best overall top 6 d core in the NHL. Washington (+30 goal differential, what more needs to be said), Boston (playing like defending EC champs), and Colorado (the move for Kadri to increase depth scoring was huge for them, and they are getting goaltending they need) will all be hard outs but i believe the Blues can win a series vs all of them IF they play that same playoff style they did last last season.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

For the first time in my life, the Blues seem like legit favorites to win the cup, and it’s awesome. Even though they won it last year, the Blues weren’t the consensus choice to win any series throughout their run, with maybe the exception of Dallas (which, oddly, turned out to be their closest series).

But this year the team is winning while missing significant pieces, and they’re doing it pretty much every way possible: huge third-period comebacks, convincing wins against top-tier teams, games where they come out flat and still find a way to win. It’s an odd feeling to cheer for a team that I fully expect to win every single night.

The idea of the Blues winning back-to-back Cups isn’t completely insane, which is pretty crazy.

bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:36 am Yes, the Blues should be considered a top 4 contender at this time, playing great even with tough injuries, and getting great goaltending from both 1 and 2, and probably the best overall top 6 d core in the NHL. Washington (+30 goal differential, what more needs to be said), Boston (playing like defending EC champs), and Colorado (the move for Kadri to increase depth scoring was huge for them, and they are getting goaltending they need) will all be hard outs but i believe the Blues can win a series vs all of them IF they play that same playoff style they did last last season.
Fixed that for you, don't you ever forget how quickly Shakey can shit the bed, and for how many seasons in a row he does just that.

Cotton McKnight wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:27 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:36 am Yes, the Blues should be considered a top 4 contender at this time, playing great even with tough injuries, and getting great goaltending from both 1 and 2, and probably the best overall top 6 d core in the NHL. Washington (+30 goal differential, what more needs to be said), Boston (playing like defending EC champs), and Colorado (the move for Kadri to increase depth scoring was huge for them, and they are getting goaltending they need) will all be hard outs but i believe the Blues can win a series vs all of them IF they play that same playoff style they did last last season.
Fixed that for you, don't you ever forget how quickly Shakey can shit the bed, and for how many seasons in a row he does just that.
that's your opinion, but I respectfully disagree. I have always felt that the majority of Allen's struggles came from lack of D support (our defensive play was crap to start the year last season) AND too large of a workload. Now that they have a better defensive system in place AND we have a solid 1A, Jake has found the perfect role as a 1B with the Blues. I know it's always easy to blame/hate the goalie, but the Blues struggles to start 18/19 and prior to that was only partly the result of Allen's play.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Blues are the best in the West. They got 1, maybe 2 more Cups coming their way. They got the best defense in the league, and their skilled forwards have the sandpaper needed to play Berube's style. This team has it all right now and they are beating on a soft NHL. There's only a handful of teams that can play like us in this league and the Blues are exploiting that big time.

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:39 am
that's your opinion, but I respectfully disagree. I have always felt that the majority of Allen's struggles came from lack of D support (our defensive play was crap to start the year last season) AND too large of a workload. Now that they have a better defensive system in place AND we have a solid 1A, Jake has found the perfect role as a 1B with the Blues. I know it's always easy to blame/hate the goalie, but the Blues struggles to start 18/19 and prior to that was only partly the result of Allen's play.
Nah, he's a 2 not a 1b. He is often very close to moving himself out of position on the simplest of shots. That to me is not a 1b, it's a solid 2.

You're allowed to have your own opinion, it's not OK to tell me what I'm thinking, "I Know it's always easy to blame/hate the goalie." I spent plenty of years as a goalie, did nothing but watch video of goalies.

I can see when a goalie is not the real deal. When I watch Allen, he has to think about what he is doing, it's why you'll see him overreact or just get plainly beat on the simplest of shots. Right now he is pretty close to being that goalie, that is just doing it naturally, but he is one or two mistakes away from overthinking and not just playing his game.

He is not mentally strong enough to be a 1 in this league, regardless of what a coach or GM says when they acquire a 2 in a "1B" position. Yes today teams rely more on their backups, but let's not kid ourselves, we would not want to only rely on the gamble of only having Shakey in net come playoff times. Sure he may be able to close out a series (like he did with the Wild on the 2nd go around, or he could do what he did every other year it was his net including the series right after the Wild versus the Perds, fail hard).

You can claim, "Lack of D support" all you want, but his weaknesses are glaring in those situations and he does not steal a game unless protected by D (meaning not really stealing a game, in my opinion, but being part of the overall team system).

Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Nah, he's a 2 not a 1b. He is often very close to moving himself out of position on the simplest of shots. That to me is not a 1b, it's a solid 2.

You're allowed to have your own opinion, it's not OK to tell me what I'm thinking, "I Know it's always easy to blame/hate the goalie." I spent plenty of years as a goalie, did nothing but watch video of goalies.

I can see when a goalie is not the real deal. When I watch Allen, he has to think about what he is doing, it's why you'll see him overreact or just get plainly beat on the simplest of shots. Right now he is pretty close to being that goalie, that is just doing it naturally, but he is one or two mistakes away from overthinking and not just playing his game.

He is not mentally strong enough to be a 1 in this league, regardless of what a coach or GM says when they acquire a 2 in a "1B" position. Yes today teams rely more on their backups, but let's not kid ourselves, we would not want to only rely on the gamble of only having Shakey in net come playoff times. Sure he may be able to close out a series (like he did with the Wild on the 2nd go around, or he could do what he did every other year it was his net including the series right after the Wild versus the Perds, fail hard).

You can claim, "Lack of D support" all you want, but his weaknesses are glaring in those situations and he does not steal a game unless protected by D (meaning not really stealing a game, in my opinion, but being part of the overall team system).
Thank's for the dissertation Cotton. I'll be sure to pass it on to the Blues management and scouting department. I'm sure they'll want to take a hard look at your detailed analysis of a their 1B goalie.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:36 pm
Cotton McKnight wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:05 pm

Thank's for the dissertation Cotton. I'll be sure to pass it on to the Blues management and scouting department. I'm sure they'll want to take a hard look at your detailed analysis of a their 1B goalie.
That's cute, refute with something to back up your feelings besides, "Shakey never had the D support."

Why should I get into a pissing match with you about Jake Allen? You're obviously biased against him, even though his stats have him in the top 5 of all goalies in the NHL over the last calendar year. No matter what I share, no matter what Jake does, you will never like him. That's your right. It's my choice and belief to see him as the Blues 1b right now, because that's how he's being used by the team, and because of his performance over the last 12 months.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Not that I want to chum the water with this semantic argument about whether Allen is a #2 or a #1B, the fact is that by my count he has had 11 starts this season and 15 starts last season from January 1 on. That's a total of 26 starts in that calendar year timeframe, and Binnington has 56 starts in that same timeframe.

Personally, I feel like that is good usage of both of them in the regular season, but Binnington is clearly the guy we will go with in the playoffs assuming both are healthy. To me, 26 out of 82 starts is more than a clear #2. I think a clear #2 only gets 10-15 starts a year, leaving 67-72 for the #1. I also think 26 out of 82 is less than a #1B. To me, a #1B probably gets closer to 35-38 starts, leaving 44-47 for the #1A.

Finally, I'll just leave this here. Despite what you might think about Allen and his fitness to be an NHL starter or an NHL backup, here is what he has done so far in calendar year 2019 - 26 starts, 13-7-6, 1618 minutes, 802 shots faced, 62 goals allowed, 2.30 GAA and 0.923 SP. This season, in 26 starts, Binnington is 16-6-4, 2.44 GAA, 0.920 SP.

Ive never understood the terrible D argument.

The same D plays the same way in front of Elliot and Hutton etc and they had better stats than Jake (or equal to)

Jake is feast or famine.
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!

Berube's leadership has given the entire team confidence, and that also goes for Jake. It's also very obvious if you watch his play that the Blues have been working with him on staying quieter in the net. He is not sliding around and really just staying square and letting pucks hit him. The Blues need a good backup like Jake to give Binnington rest. And if he were ever to go down, I would trust Jake to be able to keep the team in a position to get in the playoffs. That being said, I don't think the Blues can win the Cup if they would have to rely on Allen in the playoffs. So call him whatever you want, 1B, 2... it doesn't matter. But the reality is that he is an inconsistent goalie who is having a good year, is a good teammate, but probably couldn't win a team a championship.
KA-KAW!

The Kings’ Broadcast Crew were incessant in their praise last night. They likely had to be, as the home team was so badly outplayed and dominated when the puck dropped. Merry Christmas! We can roll four lines like fans dream about.

Jake Allen is different now.

He is far more even-keeled and whole-team focused than ever before. I thank Chief and Binner for this... and, for his forced opportunity to observe a half-season of the type of team-first hockey that will win Stanley Cups.

He still has lapses. In his last start, he was fighting the puck badly to begin the game. Perhaps it was the perceived “pressure” of his third consecutive start since Moses was in the bullrushes. Finally, he saw an easy shot for a simple glove save and he was back on track.
He still overplays the puck at times but, he is far more consistently, not overplaying the puck.

I’ve been on lucky to be a part of many Championship teams in various sports in my lifetime. They are often like the healthy families we (usually) never got to be in. If you always give your best for your family, and the family is supportive and works like a lunch pail crew for continuing success, the rewards will always come to you all.

Gloria.
In Excelsis.
Deo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry Christmas umslbirdie, cotton, Mook, Tim ,BB ,rat, Capn, stlhistory, TC, Turk, Mattie, Dave, SK, BillyP, Scruffy, Smooth, Robb, DPW, Ozzie, JMC, NY, RAF, Matangama, 1226, and everyone else, sorry if I missed you...I do suffer from short term memory loss, so be nice ;) Have an awesome holiday everyone!!!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:53 pm Merry Christmas umslbirdie, cotton, Mook, Tim ,BB ,rat, Capn, stlhistory, TC, Turk, Mattie, Dave, SK, BillyP, Scruffy, Smooth, Robb, DPW, Ozzie, JMC, NY, RAF, Matangama, 1226, and everyone else, sorry if I missed you...I do suffer from short term memory loss, so be nice ;) Have an awesome holiday everyone!!!

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:53 pm Merry Christmas umslbirdie, cotton, Mook, Tim ,BB ,rat, Capn, stlhistory, TC, Turk, Mattie, Dave, SK, BillyP, Scruffy, Smooth, Robb, DPW, Ozzie, JMC, NY, RAF, Matangama, 1226, and everyone else, sorry if I missed you...I do suffer from short term memory loss, so be nice ;) Have an awesome holiday everyone!!!
Merry Christmas Boss!!!!

Merry Christmas to you too and to everyone else here. 🎄🎅

Merry xmas all!!!!
Now now, the Canadian Government has apologized for Bryan Adams on SEVERAL occasions!