Re: GDT: St Louis Blues at Chicago - 7:30 12/2 - TV:FSMO Radio:101.1espn

Rivermanfan wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 pm Seems very much like the defending Stanley Cup champs playing the last place team in their division.

Nice to see that happen 👍
Yes :) Just domination by the Blues, even when they played boring hockey in the 2nd and let the 'hawks have a shooting gallery. Allen was superb. This could easily of gone 3-2 the other way if Jake don't make some of those saves...well, 3 to be exact.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

ratonmono wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:27 am Can't believe I picked the Hawks to make the playoffs. That team blows. No size, not much speed, little scoring, absolutely no D, and pretty decent goaltending. The fuck was I thinking?
Aside from Kane (33 points in 27 games), no-one is playing up to what they've done in the past. DeBrincat had 41 goals last season, this year he's on a pace for 15. Toews had 35 goals and 81 points last year, this year he's on a pace for 12 goals and 42 points. Keith had 40 points last year, this year he's on a pace for 19. Gustafsson had 60 points last year, this year he's on a pace for 28. Seabrook is just a shadow of his former self in every facet of the game. Brandon Saad and Dylan Strome are on similar paces to last year, but they're second liners at best, and Strome and Andrew Shaw are out injured (as is Duncan Keith, now, too), and they just don't have the scoring depth that the Blues do, and don't have the cap space to even have a full roster at the NHL level right now.

The cost of winning the Stanley Cup 3 times in recent memory, though, so there's that.

RAFritchey wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 am
ratonmono wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:27 am Can't believe I picked the Hawks to make the playoffs. That team blows. No size, not much speed, little scoring, absolutely no D, and pretty decent goaltending. The fuck was I thinking?
Aside from Kane (33 points in 27 games), no-one is playing up to what they've done in the past. DeBrincat had 41 goals last season, this year he's on a pace for 15. Toews had 35 goals and 81 points last year, this year he's on a pace for 12 goals and 42 points. Keith had 40 points last year, this year he's on a pace for 19. Gustafsson had 60 points last year, this year he's on a pace for 28. Seabrook is just a shadow of his former self in every facet of the game. Brandon Saad and Dylan Strome are on similar paces to last year, but they're second liners at best, and Strome and Andrew Shaw are out injured (as is Duncan Keith, now, too), and they just don't have the scoring depth that the Blues do, and don't have the cap space to even have a full roster at the NHL level right now.

The cost of winning the Stanley Cup 3 times in recent memory, though, so there's that.
It's hard to believe Toews is only 31 and he really has nothing left in the tank.

Seabrook still has four years at 6.88M after this season.

They are a mess really.

BluesSK wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:00 am
RAFritchey wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 am

It's hard to believe Toews is only 31 and he really has nothing left in the tank.

Seabrook still has four years at 6.88M after this season.

They are a mess really.
Well, we all knew eventually those contracts were going to bite em in the ass, and sure enough they did. I freaking love it.

If you subscribe to The Athletic, this is an absolutely delicious piece from the Mark Lazerus talking about how the tables have turned in the Blues/Hawks rivalry. It's just a wonderful piece of Tuesday morning schadenfreude.

https://theathletic.com/1428049/2019/12 ... lackhawks/

Make sure you stick around for the comments section, which is a hilarious window into Hawk fan frustration.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 am If you subscribe to The Athletic, this is an absolutely delicious piece from the Mark Lazerus talking about how the tables have turned in the Blues/Hawks rivalry. It's just a wonderful piece of Tuesday morning schadenfreude.

Make sure you stick around for the comments section, which is a hilarious window into Hawk fan frustration.
The Blackhawks model seems to either be a great team or a shitty team. No in-between. Take a run at it, rebuild, take a run at it, rebuild. I don't hate the strategy in principle, it's just tough to sit through hockey seasons knowing your team has zero chance as a fan.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:23 am If you subscribe to The Athletic, this is an absolutely delicious piece from the Mark Lazerus talking about how the tables have turned in the Blues/Hawks rivalry. It's just a wonderful piece of Tuesday morning schadenfreude.

The Blackhawks model seems to either be a great team or a shitty team. No in-between. Take a run at it, rebuild, take a run at it, rebuild. I don't hate the strategy in principle, it's just tough to sit through hockey seasons knowing your team has zero chance as a fan.
The strategy is fine, and you can even make it work with a top heavy contract structure (see Pittsburgh/Washington). The thing is you can't cripple yourself with backbreaking contracts like Seabrook's, who has been terrible since the moment that deal started. Toews has only hit 60 points once on his current $10.5M contract (81 last year), and looks like he's going to be in the 40s this year. They've also had some bad luck with Crawford's injury history necessitating a high priced goalie tandem with Lehner this year. To make matters worse, Bowman can't seem to help himself when it comes to bringing back familiar faces at much higher prices than they were during their first tour of duty (Saad/Shaw).

They are an absolute mess right now, and despite having some young, cheap talent, will continue to be a mess for the foreseeable future. I love it.

big d note wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:40 pm These Hawks unis are gross. Looks like we are playing the Kings tonight
My wife commented that they looked like they were wearing bar codes. :lol:
2019 - The year the Blues added red to their uniforms and the Blackhawks took red out of their uniforms.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 am

The strategy is fine, and you can even make it work with a top heavy contract structure (see Pittsburgh/Washington). The thing is you can't cripple yourself with backbreaking contracts like Seabrook's, who has been terrible since the moment that deal started. Toews has only hit 60 points once on his current $10.5M contract (81 last year), and looks like he's going to be in the 40s this year. They've also had some bad luck with Crawford's injury history necessitating a high priced goalie tandem with Lehner this year. To make matters worse, Bowman can't seem to help himself when it comes to bringing back familiar faces at much higher prices than they were during their first tour of duty (Saad/Shaw).

They are an absolute mess right now, and despite having some young, cheap talent, will continue to be a mess for the foreseeable future. I love it.
If they had kept Panarin on board, you think things would be different or same?

BillP. wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 am

If they had kept Panarin on board, you think things would be different or same?
I don't think they could've afforded him this past summer. I think they either should've gotten more for him than Saad, or just held onto him for more of a run the last 2 seasons.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 am Hearing "Let's Go Blues" from the crowd, in the third period, makes one wonder where all of those die-hard, lifetime Hawks fans went to. :D
The Hawks took off here when they were by far the best of the 5 Chicago pro sports teams. Now that they all suck, the fans are taking out all of their frustration on the Bears. The Hawks and Cubs are the only Chicago teams I actively dislike, but watching them freak out over the 6-6 Bears is extremely entertaining.