Re: Flames coach Bill Peters accused of repeatedly using N word

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:10 pm It’s bad but to wait 10 years is bullshit. This makes it easy for Treliving now to make a change which I’m sure has been on his mind before this came up
A lot of times people don't come forward for fear of workplace retaliation, not being believed, or sometimes they do and their chain of command handles it "internally" and sweeps it under the rug(see Jim Jordan). But yes, ideally this would've come to light 10 years ago and we would've never known the name Bill Peters beyond this. But hard to criticize someone who didn't feel comfortable at the time in a sport that, as someone said, is 99% white, especially when you're still trying to make a career of it.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:39 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:10 pm It’s bad but to wait 10 years is bullshit. This makes it easy for Treliving now to make a change which I’m sure has been on his mind before this came up
A lot of times people don't come forward for fear of workplace retaliation, not being believed, or sometimes they do and their chain of command handles it "internally" and sweeps it under the rug(see Jim Jordan). But yes, ideally this would've come to light 10 years ago and we would've never known the name Bill Peters beyond this. But hard to criticize someone who didn't feel comfortable at the time in a sport that, as someone said, is 99% white, especially when you're still trying to make a career of it.
If he had teammates that heard it as reported...there is no reason they couldn’t have addressed this 10 years ago. I just don’t agree waiting 10 plus years just to get somebody in trouble. Once again a decision will be made not because of what somebody said but more because it’s an easy out for Brad Treliving who’s been contemplating a move regardless.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:09 pm
If he had teammates that heard it as reported...there is no reason they couldn’t have addressed this 10 years ago. I just don’t agree waiting 10 plus years just to get somebody in trouble. Once again a decision will be made not because of what somebody said but more because it’s an easy out for Brad Treliving who’s been contemplating a move regardless.
I think they'd end up firing him even if they were on pace for another 107 point season.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:34 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:09 pm

I think they'd end up firing him even if they were on pace for another 107 point season.
Of course he’s going to be fired now regardless of if they were good or bad. Treliving doesn’t have to really make the call now....it was made for him.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:09 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 pm What an idiot though ...to be in that position and do that in 2009 with his future in front of him
I've often believed being a racist is a sign of inferior intelligence.
From my experience it’s often a combination of ignorance mixed with fear, along with the fact there are just some people that are assholes who who truly believe “they” are superior than “others”
"Do Only Good Everyday"

NHLTIM wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 pm What an idiot though ...to be in that position and do that in 2009 with his future in front of him
It is.
In years past there were sometimes other circumstances involved, but in today's environment, with unlimited communication available to everyone, there is no excuse.

bradleygt89 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:57 pm
along with the fact there are just some people that are assholes who who truly believe “they” are superior than “others”
And that is proof of inferior intelligence.

Hockey has a serious culture problem, and it’s had it for years. I’ve admittedly been engrossed in it years ago where I would have accepted a lot of this behaviour (not racism, but the verbal abuse / hazing stuff).

Tonnes of players / people don’t feel welcome in hockey, and it’s a sad state. Participation in Canada is going down at an alarming rate (largely due to cost, but culture is a common problem as well).

I predict a lot of stuff may come forward now, which frankly is a good thing if it continues to shine a light on this issue.

No shit...there are all kinds of reasons why a person would not come forward with information. You might feel like it will fall on deaf ears and then you stuck your neck out for nothing.