Re: Flames coach Bill Peters accused of repeatedly using N word

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:20 am
CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:16 am There is a huge difference between some idiot wearing blackface and a coach walking up to a player and saying a bunch of racist shit. Fuck this guy.
I think we all agree that Peters is an idiot and he’s toast. I don’t know why he hasn’t been fired yet...
I think the Flames are trying to figure out how to fire him "with cause" as they say, so that they're not on the hook for the rest of his contract

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:15 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 am
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:09 am

First I’ve heard about the Bieser ...at least that I can remember. One thing I know for sure though....there are probably plenty of racial things said in the last 30 years from a sport who’s players and coaches are predominantly white. I don’t believe that locker room jokes and the such make anybody truly a racist although there are some that are I’m sure...I think it’s more likely that it was just the norm for them growing up. Yes I know the Peters situation is vastly different but I just hope it doesn’t turn into “so and so said this and so so said that” type of thing because somewhere along the line somebody will be labeled a racist when they are truly not one. That’s what I don’t want to see.
In this day and age when there are more people of color playing it just doesn’t make sense to ever go that route, especially from an authority figure like Peters.
I also think it comes down to the player as well...what are the odds the boys in our locker room , maybe even Ken Hitchcock made a joke or two in regards to Ryan Reaves ? I would find it hard to believe there wasn’t something jokingly said where all parties didn’t laugh at least one time.
That’s all I’m saying...some stuff should remain private.
Why do you keep saying locker room jokes? Bill Peters was not just “razzing the boys”

Also, if you can’t make jokes without using the N word, you might be a red neck.
I’m talking about locker room jokes. I’m not including Peters in that.
Did you ever play organized hockey at all?You’ve been inside the locker room? It’s joke city...left and right.
I've played sports my entire life, been in many locker rooms. Busted a lot of chops with the boys. I somehow managed to do it all without saying the N word to a black person. I don't have any worries of something I did in a locker room coming back to bite me.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 am

Why do you keep saying locker room jokes? Bill Peters was not just “razzing the boys”

Also, if you can’t make jokes without using the N word, you might be a red neck.
Did you ever play organized hockey at all?You’ve been inside the locker room? It’s joke city...left and right.
I've played sports my entire life, been in many locker rooms. Busted a lot of chops with the boys. I somehow managed to do it all without saying the N word to a black person. I don't have any worries of something I did in a locker room coming back to bite me.
You don’t but there are probably a lot of current and ex NHLer’s that might. Like I was saying ...how far could this go. It doesn’t have to necessarily be that word either....it could be a lot of things that somebody could say had racial overtones.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

At this point, I have no idea why the Flames don't just end this. It's a lot more than just one guys word against another. What's left to investigate?

I believe this is referencing the story from Canes players that Bill Peters had multiple physical altercations with players, including kicking one in the back on the bench, that I linked on page 1.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:58 am At this point, I have no idea why the Flames don't just end this. It's a lot more than just one guys word against another. What's left to investigate?

They Flames don't want to be on the hook for his salary. I'm sure they're working out all the necessary legalities for them to be able to terminate his contract without being on the hook paying him.

BluesSK wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:28 am
Beatoni12 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:04 pm
BluesSK wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:48 pm Yet, if he would have worn blackface he'd be Prime Minister of Canada by now.
Don’t want to get off topic, but shouldn’t you be planning your “wexit” ? Lol. (This is liable to confuse many on here)
Huh?

What does Western Canadian alienation have anything remotely to do with racism?
Oh nothing, just joking since you’re from Sask and you brought up Trudeau’s black face incident which is a common thing to bring up by Westerners when complaining about the current situation. .

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:17 am

You don’t but there are probably a lot of current and ex NHLer’s that might. Like I was saying ...how far could this go. It doesn’t have to necessarily be that word either....it could be a lot of things that somebody could say had racial overtones.
That’s a common complaint by many people when stuff like this arises. People take this stuff to the extreme as if we’re going to prosecute anyone who ever said anything off colour, which is obviously never going to happen.

Both of the situations being discussed here (beezer and Peters) we’re done by people in a position of power to people they had control over. (The Beezer story came out years ago as well, and it just resurfaced last year when he got by he USA Hockey job).

If stuff similar to this happened in the past, and was done by people in positions of power, than I certainly hope it all comes out and ruins the reputations of those people. It will be well deserved.

I actually think this is a bigger problem in junior hockey than the NHL. Players typically can have more control in the NHL than juniors, so it’s more likely to occur there (and have bigger consequences on the victim).

Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:17 am

That’s a common complaint by many people when stuff like this arises. People take this stuff to the extreme as if we’re going to prosecute anyone who ever said anything off colour, which is obviously never going to happen.

Both of the situations being discussed here (beezer and Peters) we’re done by people in a position of power to people they had control over. (The Beezer story came out years ago as well, and it just resurfaced last year when he got by he USA Hockey job).

If stuff similar to this happened in the past, and was done by people in positions of power, than I certainly hope it all comes out and ruins the reputations of those people. It will be well deserved.

I actually think this is a bigger problem in junior hockey than the NHL. Players typically can have more control in the NHL than juniors, so it’s more likely to occur there (and have bigger consequences on the victim).
I don’t want to see anybody’s life ruined ever. People make mistakes. Peters fucked himself but how much more do we need to pile on and tell him he’s a piece of shit? Where does it end?

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:44 am I don’t want to see anybody’s life ruined ever. People make mistakes. Peters fucked himself but how much more do we need to pile on and tell him he’s a piece of shit? Where does it end?
People make mistakes every day, but blatant racism is not "just a mistake."

You're 100% correct though, he ruined his own professional career/life, not the people wanting him held accountable. I don't feel sympathy toward him when names are now being directed at him. He's not the victim.

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:44 am

I don’t want to see anybody’s life ruined ever. People make mistakes. Peters fucked himself but how much more do we need to pile on and tell him he’s a piece of shit? Where does it end?
Big difference between ruining a reputation and ruining a life. There has to be consequences to one’s actions. If you do what Peter’s did, you shouldn’t coach in the NHL.

People in his position take on that risk (which is why they’re paid millions of dollars). He chose to take on that risk , ruined it himself and is now paying the price.

I just don’t understand the incessant fear of people that this is going to go too far. If anything, society consistently shows that people get away with this stuff exponentially more often than they don’t. Let’s worry about making sure people are actually held accountable for their actions, than worrying about people being held accountable too much.

Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Big difference between ruining a reputation and ruining a life. There has to be consequences to one’s actions. If you do what Peter’s did, you shouldn’t coach in the NHL.

People in his position take on that risk (which is why they’re paid millions of dollars). He chose to take on that risk , ruined it himself and is now paying the price.

I just don’t understand the incessant fear of people that this is going to go too far. If anything, society consistently shows that people get away with this stuff exponentially more often than they don’t. Let’s worry about making sure people are actually held accountable for their actions, than worrying about people being held accountable too much.
He’s never going to coach again...he’s going to disappear from at least the hockey world. He’s going to pay the ultimate price and that’s where it should end but it won’t.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:21 pm

I agree.

Sarah Civian has an article in The Athletic about all of this. Apparently Canes’ leadership group (including Faulk) confronted Peters after he had physical altercations with players.

“A member of the 2015-16 Hurricanes told The Athletic that John-Michael Liles, Justin Faulk, Ron Hainsey and others confronted Peters in his office, “and he apologized, but …” Later the Hurricanes had a captains meeting about the incident.

The Athletic learned that the player that was punched in the head is currently on the Hurricanes but prefers to remain anonymous, which Brind’Amour addressed on Wednesday.

“Players are afraid to speak up, and to be honest with you, everybody under the coach, the manager, they are afraid to speak up, I think at times,” Brind’Amour said. “Because there’s a big gap on the power structure on that. I think the players have way more power now, and they realize that. I think it’s important for them to speak out about whatever they think is important because the times have changed. They definitely have more power and they need to speak up.””

https://theathletic.com/1415547/2019/11 ... ed-article

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:39 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:45 pm

He’s never going to coach again...he’s going to disappear from at least the hockey world. He’s going to pay the ultimate price and that’s where it should end but it won’t.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for him?

Also, is he being put to death?
Who said anything about feeling sorry for him?
Surely there is an opportunity for him to do some good because of this. He should have the opportunity to right his wrong.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

MattyIce wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 am
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:19 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:06 am

If they are using language like Bill Peters, I sure hope they do. It's time to out this behavior and rid the sport of it.
I sure as hell don’t want to hear something that happened on a Saskatchewan prairie 30 years ago involving Melrose, Chaser , and Wendel Clark. Just move forward....we don’t need to ruin people’s lives over it. If something happened recently I’m all for it.
To further your point Tim, in my early 20s, I was a wild as many guys are. Out at bars nightly, I cheated on girlfriends, I drove my car plastered on a regular basis, acted like a drunken ass in public, etc... Today, I am married with a baby. I would never ever ever think or want to cheat on my wife. I uber when I have 3 beers. I have changed my life and values for the better. Should I be vilified for all of the asshole things that I did 10 years ago? Because those things are not a reflection of my personality now. And I absolutely hate some of the things that I did in the past.
Just to be clear, what he said was fucked up. I'm not defending it. Not to mention, he sounds like a complete ass. But when you get down to it, everyone on this planet has made BIG mistakes. Everyone has done immoral things. You can forgive yourself for things you have done in the past, but for people in the public eye, you may not get that forgiveness from the masses. I have no idea if Peters is even remorseful for what he said, but if he is, it won't matter. Because he will now be forever labeled a "racist" in a lot of peoples eyes.
I think its apples to oranges though.

If someone called you out for things you did 10+ yrs ago you would be appalled, apologetic, and remorseful. You could point to how you have changed and arent that "ignorant kid" in your 20's anymore.

10 years go Bill Peters was in his FORTIES when people have a pretty good grasp of "right vs wrong" and I fail to see a comparison of a 20yr old kid not knowing what he wants out of life (not just you, 10yrs ago in my 20's I'd beat the shit out of myself if I could now) vs a 40yr old man in charge of 20yr old boys,
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

BluesSK wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:33 am
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:28 am And now the Sutters are getting called out.
I'm sick of this. Any disgruntled player with an ax to grind can take down a coach with a past discretion.

This goes for any job now. People who say "oh but this is a public figure"... Just wait. You're next. They will come for you.
Lmao

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:16 am This was my point yesterday....how far is this going to go now. Its disgusting but this is the world we live in. Congrats NHL' on your s "#metoo" movement...
Daniel Carcillo stirring shit up about the Sutters and junior hockey coaches. Fuck him.....one of the dirtiest players ever has now become Mr. Sensitive. I feel for him because of his problems with concussions, but now seems like he wants to lead the charge towards participation trophies for everyone. Hot damn......soy lattes all around!