Re: News and Games around the NHL

#128
BluesSK wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:05 pm
Dreger ....”it’s a hockey specific firing”.
Lol...this is the world we live in where we have to explain coaches getting fired now.
It's ridiculous. I hate this PC garbage.

Coaches are the true whipping boys.

I think this whole Montgomery story is just starting. The Stars acted like he did something so unforgivable that he will never be able to work again. And yet, he did nothing illegal? How is he supposed to rebuild his life?

How does Bill Peters? If he did something illegal take it up at the time it happens.

Maybe coaches should start keeping a ledger of player, ownership and management indiscretions in order to secure some job security?
Poor Bill Peters. When will anyone stand up for the racist and abusive coaches of the league?! I'm tired of this garbage, this men must be allowed to succeed in their profession!
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#129
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:28 am
BluesSK wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:05 pm
Dreger ....”it’s a hockey specific firing”.
Lol...this is the world we live in where we have to explain coaches getting fired now.
It's ridiculous. I hate this PC garbage.

Coaches are the true whipping boys.

I think this whole Montgomery story is just starting. The Stars acted like he did something so unforgivable that he will never be able to work again. And yet, he did nothing illegal? How is he supposed to rebuild his life?

How does Bill Peters? If he did something illegal take it up at the time it happens.

Maybe coaches should start keeping a ledger of player, ownership and management indiscretions in order to secure some job security?
Poor Bill Peters. When will anyone stand up for the racist and abusive coaches of the league?! I'm tired of this garbage, this men must be allowed to succeed in their profession!
Well I would agree with you regarding Peters but then again how do we know that he hasn’t changed his views in these last 10 years? Does one incident 10 years ago make him a racist today? Nobody has come forward that he’s done or said anything racist since then.
I’m not saying he should be allowed to coach again but this guy is going to labeled a racist the rest of his life just based on this incident, the only one that we know of. That is much worse then never being able to coach again.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#130
I really do not understand all the sympathy for people like Peters. Rebuild his life? He got paid millions of dollars to coach a sport. He'll be fine. He's likely never going to coach in the NHL again, but jesus, his *life* isn't ruined. He still is a freaking millionaire.

Also. "PC" is shit like saying "undocumented aliens" instead of "illegal immigrants". PC is not calling a black player the n-word--thats just racism! This isn't a "PC" thing

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#131
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am
I really do not understand all the sympathy for people like Peters. Rebuild his life? He got paid millions of dollars to coach a sport. He'll be fine. He's likely never going to coach in the NHL again, but jesus, his *life* isn't ruined. He still is a freaking millionaire.

Also. "PC" is shit like saying "undocumented aliens" instead of "illegal immigrants". PC is not calling a black player the n-word--thats just racism! This isn't a "PC" thing
Yep...as I’ve mentioned before the Peters situation is vastly different than the others.
We should point out that Peters didn’t call Aliu the N word either...I believe he used it to describe the rap music playing on the radio.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#132
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:28 am
BluesSK wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 pm


It's ridiculous. I hate this PC garbage.

Coaches are the true whipping boys.

I think this whole Montgomery story is just starting. The Stars acted like he did something so unforgivable that he will never be able to work again. And yet, he did nothing illegal? How is he supposed to rebuild his life?

How does Bill Peters? If he did something illegal take it up at the time it happens.

Maybe coaches should start keeping a ledger of player, ownership and management indiscretions in order to secure some job security?
Poor Bill Peters. When will anyone stand up for the racist and abusive coaches of the league?! I'm tired of this garbage, this men must be allowed to succeed in their profession!
Well I would agree with you regarding Peters but then again how do we know that he hasn’t changed his views in these last 10 years? Does one incident 10 years ago make him a racist today? Nobody has come forward that he’s done or said anything racist since then.
I’m not saying he should be allowed to coach again but this guy is going to labeled a racist the rest of his life just based on this incident, the only one that we know of. That is much worse then never being able to coach again.
I, quite frankly, don't have much concern at all for what Bill Peters is labeled as going forward. Make your bed, lay in it.

If he wants to take steps publicly or privately going forward that show he's a legit changed man, good for him and more power to him at that point. But I've yet to see anyone come out and talk about what a wonderful man he is.
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#133
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:20 am
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:56 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:28 am


Poor Bill Peters. When will anyone stand up for the racist and abusive coaches of the league?! I'm tired of this garbage, this men must be allowed to succeed in their profession!
Well I would agree with you regarding Peters but then again how do we know that he hasn’t changed his views in these last 10 years? Does one incident 10 years ago make him a racist today? Nobody has come forward that he’s done or said anything racist since then.
I’m not saying he should be allowed to coach again but this guy is going to labeled a racist the rest of his life just based on this incident, the only one that we know of. That is much worse then never being able to coach again.
I, quite frankly, don't have much concern at all for what Bill Peters is labeled as going forward. Make your bed, lay in it.

If he wants to take steps publicly or privately going forward that show he's a legit changed man, good for him and more power to him at that point. But I've yet to see anyone come out and talk about what a wonderful man he is.
Because if you come out and give support to Bill Peters you will be labeled just like him or “one of them”. That’s why everybody is staying quiet regarding him. You know there are a ton of players that he helped and are grateful for Bill Peters. They are out there for sure. If he gets fired just for abuse , there are people sticking up for him for sure but when you get fired for racial shit...that shuts up everybody.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#134
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am
I really do not understand all the sympathy for people like Peters. Rebuild his life? He got paid millions of dollars to coach a sport. He'll be fine. He's likely never going to coach in the NHL again, but jesus, his *life* isn't ruined. He still is a freaking millionaire.

Also. "PC" is shit like saying "undocumented aliens" instead of "illegal immigrants". PC is not calling a black player the n-word--thats just racism! This isn't a "PC" thing
Yep...as I’ve mentioned before the Peters situation is vastly different than the others.
We should point out that Peters didn’t call Aliu the N word either...I believe he used it to describe the rap music playing on the radio.
No, you don't need to point that out, because it doesn't matter one bit. He could have said ANYTHING ELSE instead of the N-bomb. Why didn't he say "rap music"? Why didn't he say "n-word"? Because of.......his racism. Do rap songs throw it out every other sentence? Yup. Bill Peter's isn't rapping, though. He's a white man in a position of power chastising a 19-20yr old black kid, and intentionally throwing out a word that he knows has specific connotations and carries specific weight with that kid.

You know why no one is "coming to his defense"? Because its 100% indefensible. There may be other incidents that aren't being brought up because people are living the same life you want them to, and saying "the past is the past" or "why pile on the guy". Who knows? The point is, you do not just wake up one day & casually throw the n-bomb around at black people. That's a personality trait. Full stop. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows it's unacceptable in any way, shape, or form.

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#135
usmcaaron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:26 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 am
UMSLBlues12 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:57 am
I really do not understand all the sympathy for people like Peters. Rebuild his life? He got paid millions of dollars to coach a sport. He'll be fine. He's likely never going to coach in the NHL again, but jesus, his *life* isn't ruined. He still is a freaking millionaire.

Also. "PC" is shit like saying "undocumented aliens" instead of "illegal immigrants". PC is not calling a black player the n-word--thats just racism! This isn't a "PC" thing
Yep...as I’ve mentioned before the Peters situation is vastly different than the others.
We should point out that Peters didn’t call Aliu the N word either...I believe he used it to describe the rap music playing on the radio.
No, you don't need to point that out, because it doesn't matter one bit. He could have said ANYTHING ELSE instead of the N-bomb. Why didn't he say "rap music"? Why didn't he say "n-word"? Because of.......his racism. Do rap songs throw it out every other sentence? Yup. Bill Peter's isn't rapping, though. He's a white man in a position of power chastising a 19-20yr old black kid, and intentionally throwing out a word that he knows has specific connotations and carries specific weight with that kid.

You know why no one is "coming to his defense"? Because its 100% indefensible. There may be other incidents that aren't being brought up because people are living the same life you want them to, and saying "the past is the past" or "why pile on the guy". Who knows? The point is, you do not just wake up one day & casually throw the n-bomb around at black people. That's a personality trait. Full stop. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows it's unacceptable in any way, shape, or form.
Everybody knows why nobody is coming to his defense. It’s exactly what I stated above. Even those that do support him can’t because it was racism.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#136
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 pm
usmcaaron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:26 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:11 am


Yep...as I’ve mentioned before the Peters situation is vastly different than the others.
We should point out that Peters didn’t call Aliu the N word either...I believe he used it to describe the rap music playing on the radio.
No, you don't need to point that out, because it doesn't matter one bit. He could have said ANYTHING ELSE instead of the N-bomb. Why didn't he say "rap music"? Why didn't he say "n-word"? Because of.......his racism. Do rap songs throw it out every other sentence? Yup. Bill Peter's isn't rapping, though. He's a white man in a position of power chastising a 19-20yr old black kid, and intentionally throwing out a word that he knows has specific connotations and carries specific weight with that kid.

You know why no one is "coming to his defense"? Because its 100% indefensible. There may be other incidents that aren't being brought up because people are living the same life you want them to, and saying "the past is the past" or "why pile on the guy". Who knows? The point is, you do not just wake up one day & casually throw the n-bomb around at black people. That's a personality trait. Full stop. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows it's unacceptable in any way, shape, or form.
Everybody knows why nobody is coming to his defense. It’s exactly what I stated above. Even those that do support him can’t because it was racism.
Because if you come out and give support to Bill Peters you will be labeled just like him or “one of them”. 

This was the 1st thing you wrote, & its complete garbage. If you come out and support him, you DESERVE to be labeled "just like him". If you support him privately, it doesn't change the fact that YOU'RE JUST AS BAD AS HIM. I don't care who you are or what your status. If you say anything remotely close to "Bill's a good guy. He just made a mistake and it's in the past. He knows he messed up." then you are an enabler of racism. It's as plain as that. You're excusing a person for the fact that they we so comfortable with the n-word, they casually throw it out in public to a black kid. Again, that doesn't happen overnight. That's a regular, learned behavior.

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#137
usmcaaron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 pm
usmcaaron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:26 pm


No, you don't need to point that out, because it doesn't matter one bit. He could have said ANYTHING ELSE instead of the N-bomb. Why didn't he say "rap music"? Why didn't he say "n-word"? Because of.......his racism. Do rap songs throw it out every other sentence? Yup. Bill Peter's isn't rapping, though. He's a white man in a position of power chastising a 19-20yr old black kid, and intentionally throwing out a word that he knows has specific connotations and carries specific weight with that kid.

You know why no one is "coming to his defense"? Because its 100% indefensible. There may be other incidents that aren't being brought up because people are living the same life you want them to, and saying "the past is the past" or "why pile on the guy". Who knows? The point is, you do not just wake up one day & casually throw the n-bomb around at black people. That's a personality trait. Full stop. Anyone with a shred of common sense knows it's unacceptable in any way, shape, or form.
Everybody knows why nobody is coming to his defense. It’s exactly what I stated above. Even those that do support him can’t because it was racism.
Because if you come out and give support to Bill Peters you will be labeled just like him or “one of them”. 

This was the 1st thing you wrote, & its complete garbage. If you come out and support him, you DESERVE to be labeled "just like him". If you support him privately, it doesn't change the fact that YOU'RE JUST AS BAD AS HIM. I don't care who you are or what your status. If you say anything remotely close to "Bill's a good guy. He just made a mistake and it's in the past. He knows he messed up." then you are an enabler of racism. It's as plain as that. You're excusing a person for the fact that they we so comfortable with the n-word, they casually throw it out in public to a black kid. Again, that doesn't happen overnight. That's a regular, learned behavior.
It’s not garbage it’s truth because there are people in the game that do support Bill Peters and have likely reached out to him. They can’t do it publicly because they will be labeled. Do you think every single contact he made along the way through his career has just washed their hand of his friendship ? No...no they have not. Not all of them anyway. Nobody deserves to be labeled for something they aren’t just because they might show support for a friend or whatever he was to them.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#138
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 pm
usmcaaron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:01 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:40 pm


Everybody knows why nobody is coming to his defense. It’s exactly what I stated above. Even those that do support him can’t because it was racism.
Because if you come out and give support to Bill Peters you will be labeled just like him or “one of them”. 

This was the 1st thing you wrote, & its complete garbage. If you come out and support him, you DESERVE to be labeled "just like him". If you support him privately, it doesn't change the fact that YOU'RE JUST AS BAD AS HIM. I don't care who you are or what your status. If you say anything remotely close to "Bill's a good guy. He just made a mistake and it's in the past. He knows he messed up." then you are an enabler of racism. It's as plain as that. You're excusing a person for the fact that they we so comfortable with the n-word, they casually throw it out in public to a black kid. Again, that doesn't happen overnight. That's a regular, learned behavior.
It’s not garbage it’s truth because there are people in the game that do support Bill Peters and have likely reached out to him. They can’t do it publicly because they will be labeled. Do you think every single contact he made along the way through his career has just washed their hand of his friendship ? No...no they have not. Not all of them anyway. Nobody deserves to be labeled for something they aren’t just because they might show support for a friend or whatever he was to them.
They deserve to be "labeled" an enabler of racism, because that's exactly what they're doing. They don't have to wash their hands of him, but even telling him privately that they're behind him is wrong. Once again, this is not the act of someone who " just made one mistake". It was too easily done to be a one-off so anyone with long-standing personal ties to him, has likely seen flashes (or more) of it before.

If Peters was at a STH function, & got piss-drunk, would you say "it's a one-time thing. this is the only time", or would you pretty much know he's gotten piss-drunk in the past?

If his friends/family behind the scenes are truly taken-aback, they're telling him how bad he messed up, and saying things like "Forget the job. You need to fully apologize, and start to make some real life changes. If you truly feel remorse, you should be working to show those you affected & those you care about you recognize your faults & want to be better ". Anyone that says "I forgive you" before Ailu is part of the problem.

Ask the friends/families of addicts & criminals. You can love someone & still keep your distance. At least until real change is shown.

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#139
We can agree to disagree ....I don’t see that as enabling racism. That’s called being a genuine friend to someone and lending support when it might be needed. If one of my good friends ended up being the most horrific serial killer of all time, I’d like to think that I would still be a good friend to him. I’d probably say what the fuck dude but I’d still reach out to him.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#140
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm
We can agree to disagree ....I don’t see that as enabling racism. That’s called being a genuine friend to someone and lending support when it might be needed. If one of my good friends ended up being the most horrific serial killer of all time, I’d like to think that I would still be a good friend to him. I’d probably say what the fuck dude but I’d still reach out to him.
Well duh, you don't want to piss that guy off!
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#141
Dave's a mess wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:31 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm
We can agree to disagree ....I don’t see that as enabling racism. That’s called being a genuine friend to someone and lending support when it might be needed. If one of my good friends ended up being the most horrific serial killer of all time, I’d like to think that I would still be a good friend to him. I’d probably say what the fuck dude but I’d still reach out to him.
Well duh, you don't want to piss that guy off!
Haha...no doubt!
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#142
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm
We can agree to disagree ....I don’t see that as enabling racism. That’s called being a genuine friend to someone and lending support when it might be needed. If one of my good friends ended up being the most horrific serial killer of all time, I’d like to think that I would still be a good friend to him. I’d probably say what the fuck dude but I’d still reach out to him.
If you had a friend who was a child abuser, would you still bring your kids around them? If you had a friend who beat his wife, would you bring your wife around them? If you say yes.... that's not ok. You can have a relationship with someone for years, then learn that they're an awful person, & distance yourself without severing all ties. (Although, for me, either of my examples are excellent times to do just that.)

Re: Flames coach Bill Peters accused of repeatedly using N word

#143
i was only half-joking when i said maybe he was quoting lyrics. we don't know what was being listened to. if he walks out of his office and hears "the n-word" repeatedly, he might say "turn off this 'n-word' shit". just saying, logistically, i get that part of it. he may even have been saying to turn it off because he is NOT racist and hates hearing the word.

my point is, we weren't there. clearly it was taken as the player being called that. but that's not how it read to me. shrug.

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#145
usmcaaron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:37 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm
We can agree to disagree ....I don’t see that as enabling racism. That’s called being a genuine friend to someone and lending support when it might be needed. If one of my good friends ended up being the most horrific serial killer of all time, I’d like to think that I would still be a good friend to him. I’d probably say what the fuck dude but I’d still reach out to him.
If you had a friend who was a child abuser, would you still bring your kids around them? If you had a friend who beat his wife, would you bring your wife around them? If you say yes.... that's not ok. You can have a relationship with someone for years, then learn that they're an awful person, & distance yourself without severing all ties. (Although, for me, either of my examples are excellent times to do just that.)
Probably not but but I’m not talking about my wife or kids. I’m talking about if that person was my good friend. I’m not giving up on anybody who I would consider to be that friend and there are just a few of them that meet that criteria...not that many. Sure there are other friends I would sever all ties with but those aren’t the friends that I’m really talking about here.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Re: Flames coach Bill Peters accused of repeatedly using N word

#146
T.C. wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:39 pm
i was only half-joking when i said maybe he was quoting lyrics. we don't know what was being listened to. if he walks out of his office and hears "the n-word" repeatedly, he might say "turn off this 'n-word' shit". just saying, logistically, i get that part of it. he may even have been saying to turn it off because he is NOT racist and hates hearing the word.

my point is, we weren't there. clearly it was taken as the player being called that. but that's not how it read to me. shrug.


Here's Aliu's quote:
He walked in before a morning pregame skate and said, ‘Hey, Akim, I’m sick of you playing that n—– s—,’ ” Aliu told TSN. “He said, ‘I’m sick of hearing this n—–s f—— other n——s in the a– stuff.’

He then walked out like nothing ever happened. You could hear a pin drop in the room, everything went dead silent. I just sat down in my stall, didn’t say a word.”

When Peters met with Aliu, the player alleges the coach told him, “You know, I’m just sick of this n—– s—. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

IMO, it goes beyond "I'm tired of hearing that word". Not to mention, he repeated it, even later when they met in his office.

If you don't wanna hear it, you don't repeat it over & over.

Again, that's my belief.

Either way, saying it with that much ease shows a comfortability with it.

Re: Flames coach Bill Peters accused of repeatedly using N word

#147
yeah i agree. but also, aliu is one on a team of people. in my experience, some europeans really don't understand why american rap has an obsession with that word, and find it uncomfortable. who knows, maybe some other team members complained to peters too.

regardless, how he handled it is fucking bonkers and way out of line. being "hockey smart" doesn't equate to just "smart". i'm just saying it doesn't automatically make him racist. i mean, if i'm in a room and someone is incessantly playing rebecca black's "friday", i'm probably yelling "i'm sick of this 'friday' shit". he walks in and someone's constantly jamming DMX...

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#149
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:46 pm
usmcaaron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:37 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm
We can agree to disagree ....I don’t see that as enabling racism. That’s called being a genuine friend to someone and lending support when it might be needed. If one of my good friends ended up being the most horrific serial killer of all time, I’d like to think that I would still be a good friend to him. I’d probably say what the fuck dude but I’d still reach out to him.
If you had a friend who was a child abuser, would you still bring your kids around them? If you had a friend who beat his wife, would you bring your wife around them? If you say yes.... that's not ok. You can have a relationship with someone for years, then learn that they're an awful person, & distance yourself without severing all ties. (Although, for me, either of my examples are excellent times to do just that.)
Probably not but but I’m not talking about my wife or kids. I’m talking about if that person was my good friend. I’m not giving up on anybody who I would consider to be that friend and there are just a few of them that meet that criteria...not that many. Sure there are other friends I would sever all ties with but those aren’t the friends that I’m really talking about here.
Do you have a good friend who you’re thinking might be a serial killer?
Just a Klim Kostin fan account

Re: News and Games around the NHL

#150
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:32 pm
NHLTIM wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:46 pm
usmcaaron wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:37 pm


If you had a friend who was a child abuser, would you still bring your kids around them? If you had a friend who beat his wife, would you bring your wife around them? If you say yes.... that's not ok. You can have a relationship with someone for years, then learn that they're an awful person, & distance yourself without severing all ties. (Although, for me, either of my examples are excellent times to do just that.)
Probably not but but I’m not talking about my wife or kids. I’m talking about if that person was my good friend. I’m not giving up on anybody who I would consider to be that friend and there are just a few of them that meet that criteria...not that many. Sure there are other friends I would sever all ties with but those aren’t the friends that I’m really talking about here.
Do you have a good friend who you’re thinking might be a serial killer?
Definitely...just not the most horrific serial killer.
St. Louis Blues 2019 Stanley Cup Champs!

"Suck a dick Johansen"
cron