Re: Bortuzzo gets 4 games

BlueinNy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:37 pm What do ya think Marchands non penalty will get. Oh wait, nobody noticed that. Weird.
Yep. I did see the Kerfoot slewfoot too and that was as bad.

I'm not gonna complain about the Bortuzzo call. It was dumb on his part but we are seeing a lot of dangerous hits not being dealt with.

I think George Parros is doing a shit job in player safety.

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:28 am Reading Twitter, you’d think Bortuzzo is Brad Marchand. Everyone hates him
Repeat offender. Deliberate attempt to injure that turned out successful. He’s not far off. Four games was a joke. The only thing that saved him was it wasn’t to the head.

But if you can injure a great player on a rival for a month and all you get is 4 games, well then the only thing stopping others from doing so is respect.
Just a Russian propaganda account

I don’t care about Bortz getting suspended.....but I’m glad the Blues are hated around the league. I’ve been waiting my entire life for this and I freaking love it. I’d love to see a few more suspensions before the season is over.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

I'd say Bortuzzo lost his mind for a few seconds, but I seem to recall him doing pretty much the exact same thing last year, maybe in the playoffs? Bortuzzo seems to be well liked in the room and plays his ass off. I'm glad we have him around, though maybe be a little more subtle about the cross-checks away from the play.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Bortz is great for this team for sure. His problem has always been consistency. He plays a good game or two and then he’s bad, goes to the press box and sits for a few and comes back and plays a good game or two before heading back to the pressbox again. I love him on this team though and damn glad that we have him.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Dave's a mess wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:18 am I'd say Bortuzzo lost his mind for a few seconds, but I seem to recall him doing pretty much the exact same thing last year, maybe in the playoffs? Bortuzzo seems to be well liked in the room and plays his ass off. I'm glad we have him around, though maybe be a little more subtle about the cross-checks away from the play.
He did the same thing to Lindell. After Lindell had that comical dive in the playoffs he came back and actually cross-checked him in a similar fashion. Two years ago he got fined for cross-checking Brock Nelson of the Islanders in like the exact same way too.

He's got a history of losing his cool and cross checking, usually when it seems like he feels a player has dived.

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:30 am I don’t care about Bortz getting suspended.....but I’m glad the Blues are hated around the league. I’ve been waiting my entire life for this and I freaking love it. I’d love to see a few more suspensions before the season is over.
I agree... we've seen the Blues be on the wrong end of NHL justice for years... if opponents want to get in Binner's paint, now there's a price to pay.

Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:53 am
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:30 am I don’t care about Bortz getting suspended.....but I’m glad the Blues are hated around the league. I’ve been waiting my entire life for this and I freaking love it. I’d love to see a few more suspensions before the season is over.
I agree... we've seen the Blues be on the wrong end of NHL justice for years... if opponents want to get in Binner's paint, now there's a price to pay.
You bet.
The memory of Grant Fuhr being deliberately taken out, and it's death knoll for our Cup chances remains fresh in my mind.
What happens to our chances to repeat, if the same thing happens to Binner?
Last edited by barnburner on Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

I don't get it. Bortuzzo was providing a service to the league by reminding another player that overdramatizing is for soccer, not hockey. If you read Arvidsson's lips after the play when he looks up at Bortz, I'm pretty sure he mouths the words, "Sorry, my bad."

People are acting like he invented cross checking. GO BORT!!!!

insideout wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 am I don't get it. Bortuzzo was providing a service to the league by reminding another player that overdramatizing is for soccer, not hockey. If you read Arvidsson's lips after the play when he looks up at Bortz, I'm pretty sure he mouths the words, "Sorry, my bad."
I’m all for eliminating diving, but Arvidsson did not dive there. He gets drilled from behind, almost eats the cross bar, then because he’s getting a penalty, Bortz goes back and drills him in the ribs / kidney area. Super dangerous, super stupid and he’s probably lucky he only got 4.

I’m no lip reader either, but I can almost guarantee you that Arviddson didn’t apologize to Bortz in that situation haha

Beatoni12 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:30 am
insideout wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:22 am I don't get it. Bortuzzo was providing a service to the league by reminding another player that overdramatizing is for soccer, not hockey. If you read Arvidsson's lips after the play when he looks up at Bortz, I'm pretty sure he mouths the words, "Sorry, my bad."
I’m all for eliminating diving, but Arvidsson did not dive there. He gets drilled from behind, almost eats the cross bar, then because he’s getting a penalty, Bortz goes back and drills him in the ribs / kidney area. Super dangerous, super stupid and he’s probably lucky he only got 4.

I’m no lip reader either, but I can almost guarantee you that Arviddson didn’t apologize to Bortz in that situation haha
Upon watching it again, I now think he might have said, "Sore is my back." Bortz clearly thought Arvidsson dived. He was wrong this time, but you can never be too sure. It would have been tragic if the dude dived and didn't receive additional wood, so Bortuzzo was just trying to avoid that tragedy. So it was sort of erring on the safe side.... doing his best to assure that we are protected from antics. Thanks Bortz.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:54 pm
BlueinNy wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:37 pm What do ya think Marchands non penalty will get. Oh wait, nobody noticed that. Weird.
Yep. I did see the Kerfoot slewfoot too and that was as bad.

I'm not gonna complain about the Bortuzzo call. It was dumb on his part but we are seeing a lot of dangerous hits not being dealt with.

I think George Parros is doing a shit job in player safety.
The man took alot of blows to the head. A potential CTE victim probably isn't the best candidate for something so impactful
I hope Snuggerud beats the shit out of Kyrou

barcthespark wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:37 pm I've said it before but I'll say it again. The league should put former Lady Bing winners in charge of discipline instead of former tough guys/goons. Many in positions of authority in the NHL are still of the neanderthal mentality.
Might as well give it a try. What they've been doing, ain't working.

that second cross-check was fucking bonkers. if you want a guy out of your paint, pushing him down into it more isn't going to get him out. there is no positive from that play. literally picking him up and pile-driving him out of the net i would have been ok with. but that was dumb and very dangerous, clearly.

barnburner wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:11 am
Turk Sanderson wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:53 am
You bet.
The memory of Grant Fuhr being deliberately taken out, and it's death knoll for our Cup chances remains fresh in my mind.
What happens to our chances to repeat, if the same thing happens to Binner?
I'll drink to all of the above.🍺

barnburner wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:30 pm
barcthespark wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:37 pm I've said it before but I'll say it again. The league should put former Lady Bing winners in charge of discipline instead of former tough guys/goons. Many in positions of authority in the NHL are still of the neanderthal mentality.
Might as well give it a try. What they've been doing, ain't working.
I actually thought Parros would do a better job than like, Pronger did. While Pronger was tough and dirty, Parros was a goon who wasn't typically a dirty player--always seemed to know where the line was between playing hard and playing dirty. That clearly hasn't translated into consistent discipline though.