Re: GDT: St Louis Blues vs Calgary - 7pm 11/21 - TV:FSMO Radio:101.1espn

BluesSK wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 pm I think Allen has been fine as a backup this season. Is he overpaid for the position. Yes, of course but as has been mentioned it's not crippling the team salary cap wise.
Agreed. Reliable backup goalies are hard to find. Allen seems to be a very good fit with this team. It's true he can go thru cold spells, but he can also get hot and carry the team for awhile. As long as he keeps performing at a reasonable level, I wouldn't be in a hurry to rock the boat.

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 pm Thomas was always going to get his feet wet playing wing to start his career. I figured two years on the wing and then transitioning to a top 6 center. He was drafted to be our future number one center...and he will be in time.
What kind of center do you see Thomas growing up to be?

And how great is it to have ROR Schenn Bozak teaching him the position.

barnburner wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:50 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 pm I think Allen has been fine as a backup this season. Is he overpaid for the position. Yes, of course but as has been mentioned it's not crippling the team salary cap wise.
Agreed. Reliable backup goalies are hard to find. Allen seems to be a very good fit with this team. It's true he can go thru cold spells, but he can also get hot and carry the team for awhile. As long as he keeps performing at a reasonable level, I wouldn't be in a hurry to rock the boat.
Jake Allen is on pace to play a grand total of 18 games. He has a gaa over 3 and a sub .900 save%

Pardon me for disagreeing but that seems damn easy to replace.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:06 pm
Jake Allen is on pace to play a grand total of 18 games. He has a gaa over 3 and a sub .900 save%

The 18 games is a problem. Binner didn’t have that kind of work load heading into last years playoffs. Even if you add his AHL games. Allen has gotten better the past couple games. Berube better start using him more and give his No. 1 some rest. At this pace to win the Cup again, your looking at 90 games from Binnington. That can’t be good. I’m pretty sure the trend of Cup winning goalies lately has been 50 games or less in terms of reg season play.

BillP. wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:50 am

The 18 games is a problem. Binner didn’t have that kind of work load heading into last years playoffs. Even if you add his AHL games. Allen has gotten better the past couple games. Berube better start using him more and give his No. 1 some rest. At this pace to win the Cup again, your looking at 90 games from Binnington. That can’t be good. I’m pretty sure the trend of Cup winning goalies lately has been 50 games or less in terms of reg season play.
Allen's been better his last 2 starts, but he needs that consistently if he's going to earn 30is starts this year. An injury to Binnington is the nightmare scenario this season.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

It's not ideal, but JB50 is a machine and it's clear they don't have a lot of confidence to play Allen.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:40 pm
Doug Glatt wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:33 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:46 am

It's absolutely wide open this year. There are going to be some cap challenges the next couple of years though. Are they solvable? Absolutely, but it's going to be tricky. We all know about the Petro question, but the following year Binnington is looking like he'll be due for a monster raise. If Thomas grows like he's capable of and we all hope he does, he'll be due a big raise that summer too. Schwartz is set to be a UFA that summer as well. Of course the cap should go up some, and we'll have Steen and Bozak off the books, plus whatever contract Seattle takes in the expansion draft, but there's going to be some necessary roster churn. We're going to lose some players we don't want to, so it will be crucial to keep developing useful prospects and finding the right value contracts from outside the organization.
Allen will be moved, too. Doug hasn't overpaid players so our salary structure is very good compared to other teams, imo.
Army's done a great job of managing salary structure, but he's absolutely overpaid guys. Allen and Steen stand out in that regard, but still no absolute crippling deals. Steen is overpaid, but still a useful player. The problem with moving Allen is that like with Lehtera, moving him costs you something. I wonder if they just ride his deal out rather than paying to make him go away.
Fair point, Dave. Overpayment sure, but crippling no. I didn't convey my thought very well.

When I spoke of salary structure, I had Toronto in my mind. I'd rather have the Blues structure, where there isn't really a superstar. It is more about 4 good lines, yada, yada, yaaaaadaaaaa. That's what I was trying to get out.

Doug Glatt wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:22 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:40 pm
Doug Glatt wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:33 pm

Allen will be moved, too. Doug hasn't overpaid players so our salary structure is very good compared to other teams, imo.
Army's done a great job of managing salary structure, but he's absolutely overpaid guys. Allen and Steen stand out in that regard, but still no absolute crippling deals. Steen is overpaid, but still a useful player. The problem with moving Allen is that like with Lehtera, moving him costs you something. I wonder if they just ride his deal out rather than paying to make him go away.
Fair point, Dave. Overpayment sure, but crippling no. I didn't convey my thought very well.

When I spoke of salary structure, I had Toronto in my mind. I'd rather have the Blues structure, where there isn't really a superstar. It is more about 4 good lines, yada, yada, yaaaaadaaaaa. That's what I was trying to get out.
Word. He's generally pretty prudent about his extensions, and as you pointed out, his misses tend not to be abject disasters.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

is there any evidence that binnington has issues playing that many games?