Re: Suspension for SunnyD?

BillP. wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:36 pm Ah guys, today that’s a penalty. Sunny D had plenty of time to choose his path.

Gone are the Geoff Courtnall days where you can run a goaltender and come out of it with a 5 minute PP too :lol:
No doubt it would be called a penalty, but a suspension? Had he hit Gibson from behind, or in a vulnerable position, ok. But that's not what happened. Gibson saw him coming, and had a chance to protect himself, plus Sunny tried to avoid a direct hit.
I may prove to be wrong, but I think a suspension is way out of line, and if it had been #50 instead of Gibson, I'd have the same opinion.
BUT....... This is NHL justice, so reality is seldom a factor. Sunny D will get suspended for 30 games, we will lose 20 first round draft picks, and be forced to give the Cup back.

barnburner wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:15 pm
BillP. wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:36 pm Ah guys, today that’s a penalty. Sunny D had plenty of time to choose his path.

Gone are the Geoff Courtnall days where you can run a goaltender and come out of it with a 5 minute PP too :lol:
No doubt it would be called a penalty, but a suspension? Had he hit Gibson from behind, or in a vulnerable position, ok. But that's not what happened. Gibson saw him coming, and had a chance to protect himself, plus Sunny tried to avoid a direct hit.
I may prove to be wrong, but I think a suspension is way out of line, and if it had been #50 instead of Gibson, I'd have the same opinion.
BUT....... This is NHL justice, so reality is seldom a factor. Sunny D will get suspended for 30 games, we will lose 20 first round draft picks, and be forced to give the Cup back.
Oh yeah, we’re talking about suspension - ha. My bad. Um, tough call. I agree with you that a suspension isn’t warranted but today it’s all about player safety so I imagine they want to send the message to lay off those goaltenders.

This is a tough one. In the end I think they got it right with a fine. He definitely tries to avoid him, but he could've stopped while still trying to cut off the puck. A suspension would've been too harsh. Two minutes and a few shots from the Ducks defensemen seems appropriate.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!