Re: News and Games around the NHL

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 pm What a sad world we live in. What he said is not even remotely offensive.
His enthusiasm for poppy wearing is a bit over the top, but not troublesome in-and-of-itself.

His need to single out immigrants specifically was a little weird, though.

Edit: fixed autocorrect typo
Last edited by Scruffy on Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don’t think this is the worst thing Cherry has said (although as a person who isn’t a Canadian immigrant I don’t really get to decide what is offensive), and Cherry should have been fired a long time ago. He basically said women shouldn’t be allowed to report on hockey at one point

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:18 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 pm What a sad world we live in. What he said is not even remotely offensive.
He should've been fired for being awful regardless. The fact that it was for this reason works for me. Sorry your world is so sad though?
The fact that the man got fired for asking his countrymen to support the military is what makes it sad...even sadder that you can't see that. With that said....I don't support flag burners and military haters....so fuck off. I'm done with you FOR REALS HOMIE..
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 pm
He should've been fired for being awful regardless. The fact that it was for this reason works for me. Sorry your world is so sad though?
The fact that the man got fired for asking his countrymen to support the military is what makes it sad...even sadder that you can't see that. With that said....I don't support flag burners and military haters....so fuck off. I'm done with you FOR REALS HOMIE..
I'm a flag burner and military hater because I think Don Cherry sucks and should've been fired awhile ago? Boy, is my girlfriend in the Air Force going to be shocked to find this out :lol: :lol:

Hope you find your safe space Timmy, where everyone loves Don Cherry and doesn't have different opinions than you.
Just a Russian propaganda account

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:33 pm
CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Good riddance? Did he step on your avocado toast?
Smashed the fried egg and everything. Breakfast ruined. Good riddance.
Yeah!!! Cancel him from TV!!! HAHAH I LOVE THE TASTE OF BLOOD!!!!
Bob McKenzie is out for blood!!!! nom nom nom nom

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/mckenzie-c ... om~1826593

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:47 pm

I'm a flag burner and military hater because I think Don Cherry sucks and should've been fired awhile ago? Boy, is my girlfriend in the Air Force going to be shocked to find this out :lol: :lol:

Hope you find your safe space Timmy, where everyone loves Don Cherry and doesn't have different opinions than you.
I'll burn a flag for the same reason why I wouldn't fire a guy for saying something stupid...because FREEDOM!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:38 pm

I'll burn a flag for the same reason why I wouldn't fire a guy for saying something stupid...because FREEDOM!!!
You definitely always make me laugh for the right reasons. :lol:

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:43 pm

I've always appreciated Grapes for his outrageous antics. Oh...he said some grouchy old man shit. I'd rather live in a world where it is okay to make a mistake and people are not there waiting with pitchforks to burn you down and dance on your ashes.

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:01 pm
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:43 pm

I've always appreciated Grapes for his outrageous antics. Oh...he said some grouchy old man shit. I'd rather live in a world where it is okay to make a mistake and people are not there waiting with pitchforks to burn you down and dance on your ashes.
I'm sure he'll turn up somewhere talking hockey so you'll still have your chance to hear his grouchy old man shit if that's your cup of latte with skim milk.

The last thing I’m going to say about this Cherry thing is that if you don’t find his words offensive, you should perhaps think about why you don’t and listen to the people Cherry was talking about and why they find it offensive. It’s easy to not see things as offensive when you’re not part of the group being discussed and haven’t lived a day in their shoes. It’s not up to you, a person not in that group, to decide what is and isn’t offensive to them. McKenzie is exactly right in that video DPW posted above—when you start out with “you people” it typically doesn’t end well. All DC had to do to not be fired was not go on a divisive rant about people during a segment that’s supposed to be about hockey. Not that difficult but hey, here we are

UMSLBlues12 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:31 pm The last thing I’m going to say about this Cherry thing is that if you don’t find his words offensive, you should perhaps think about why you don’t and listen to the people Cherry was talking about and why they find it offensive. It’s easy to not see things as offensive when you’re not part of the group being discussed and haven’t lived a day in their shoes. It’s not up to you, a person not in that group, to decide what is and isn’t offensive to them. McKenzie is exactly right in that video DPW posted above—when you start out with “you people” it typically doesn’t end well. All DC had to do to not be fired was not go on a divisive rant about people during a segment that’s supposed to be about hockey. Not that difficult but hey, here we are
well said.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 pm There a difference between "making a mistake" and being a bigot. And for Sportsnet to continue to give a bigot a platform would be a mistake on their end.
Being a bigot? Show me the video where he said...hey dirty immigrants put on this flower or we should kill you. Even if he did need to be fired there is a disturbing amount of joy surrounding it and it seems to be more about retribution than morality.

CaptSMRT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:40 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 pm There a difference between "making a mistake" and being a bigot. And for Sportsnet to continue to give a bigot a platform would be a mistake on their end.
Being a bigot? Show me the video where he said...hey dirty immigrants put on this flower or we should kill you. Even if he did need to be fired there is a disturbing amount of joy surrounding it and it seems to be more about retribution than morality.
You find the response disturbing, others find his comments disturbing. Moral of the story, we're all disturbed.