Re: News and Games around the NHL

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:52 am
NHLTIM wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 am
Robb_K wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Yes it WAS offensive, because he singled out immigrants for not honouring our Canadian soldiers who died in defence of our country. If he had called out "Canadians who don't wear poppies", or Canadians who don't honour our military personnel" that would have been fine. He singled out immigrants, making it seem like he thinks only immigrants don't appreciate what our soldiers and medics do for us.

He just made a mistake in wording. But, he grew up during a time when a lot of people thought that way, many not even thinking about what they were saying.

I'm almost as old as he is. But I wouldn't have made that mistake. Maybe Don did know any immigrants when he was growing up. I grew up in the 1940s and 1950s in Manitoba, and we had tonnes of immigrants. Most of them were overjoyed to be living in such a wonderful country. It seemed to me most of them were more patriotic towards Canada than most of the over 5 generation Canadians I knew. I guess it takes all kinds, eh?

I followed Don's career. I liked him as a tough, hard-nosed defenceman (mostly in The AHL). He was a good coach too. It's a shame that he made that mistake, and lost his job. But, I was surprised he didn't lose it a while back, for saying that "women shouldn't be broadcasting hockey". Well, he's out of official North American organised hockey directly-related jobs. But, he can still write a column about The NHL, AHL, or Canadian Major Junior Hockey if he wants to.
Women shouldn’t be broadcasting hockey...there I said it! Didn’t we all learn this during last years playoffs? Guess I should be fired.
Weird logic. I can’t stand many male broadcasters, doesn’t mean men shouldn’t broadcast hockey.
same for me but they still do a better job calling the game. If that female is out there, we haven't seen her yet. Kendall Coyne was absolutely terrible in her time last year. AJ Mleczko was better but still they are a long way from comparing to the top color guys in the business.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:06 am

Women shouldn’t be broadcasting hockey...there I said it! Didn’t we all learn this during last years playoffs? Guess I should be fired.
Weird logic. I can’t stand many male broadcasters, doesn’t mean men shouldn’t broadcast hockey.
same for me but they still do a better job calling the game. If that female is out there, we haven't seen her yet. Kendall Coyne was absolutely terrible in her time last year. AJ Mleczko was better but still they are a long way from comparing to the top color guys in the business.
How could any women have developed any talent for broadcasting when they haven't been given a lot of opportunities. I think women are perfectly capable of participating in hockey broadcasting. I also think it is okay for Don Cherry to be a jerk. Why does everything have to be so polarizing?

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 am

How could any women have developed any talent for broadcasting when they haven't been given a lot of opportunities. I think women are perfectly capable of participating in hockey broadcasting. I also think it is okay for Don Cherry to be a jerk. Why does everything have to be so polarizing?

Give them opportunities with women’s hockey...I’m ok with that. They should earn it...not just be given an opportunity because of something Pierre McGuire said last year.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:32 am

Give them opportunities with women’s hockey...I’m ok with that. They should earn it...not just be given an opportunity because of something Pierre McGuire said last year.
Why do they need to be sequestered to womens hockey? I have no problem with people being new. Chris Kerber down right sucks most nights...I don't see anyone asking for him to be removed, he was allowed to come into broadcasting right out of college and develop in the job. Honestly most of the broadcasting duos from around the country leave a lot to be desired. Maybe it is time for some new blood.

CaptSMRT wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:39 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:32 am

Why do they need to be sequestered to womens hockey? I have no problem with people being new. Chris Kerber down right sucks most nights...I don't see anyone asking for him to be removed, he was allowed to come into broadcasting right out of college and develop in the job. Honestly most of the broadcasting duos from around the country leave a lot to be desired. Maybe it is time for some new blood.
Plenty of guys paying their dues calling women’s hockey right now. I don’t think Kerber stepped right into the NHL. He paid his dues somewhere ...AHL maybe...I don’t remember. I’m definitely not a Kerber fan though either. The small sample size we’ve seen on color commentary shows they aren’t ready just yet.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

My point wasn't that women SHOULD be calling or even being side commentators on high-level hockey games. My point was that I was surprised that he wasn't fired for SAYING they SHOULDN'T be doing that, based on their own rules and standards for broadcasting over the public airwaves. I've also never heard a female broadcast a hockey game and thought she did a good job of it.

It's the choice of words. The words Cherry used, and the order in which they were placed, and frankly, his tone of voice, made it appear that he was singling out immigrants, and that Canadian immigrants, as a group (e.g. on the whole) do not appreciate what our Canadian soldiers and other military personnel have done for us (especially those who risked their lives, and moreso, those who died for our country). There's no law against Cherry being non-scientific, jumping to conclusions without looking into the facts, making illogical judgements, or even being bigoted against any given group among the population. But, as a public speaker over the airwaves, he has a duty to not make blanket statements about any group of people that put them in a derogatory light, which, thus, can be taken as that particular broadcasting company condones that action (his making the statement), and further, could be assumed that they even agree with his statement. It also puts national officials who oversee the broadcasting industry in a bad light, if they allow broadcasters to make such statements.

The bottom line is that Cherry chose bad wording, and later admitted that he "probably used a bad choice of wording". But he didn't apologise. He didn't say that he didn't mean that ALL immigrants don't appreciate soldiers risking their lives to make life good for all of us. He's a stubborn man, and that's hurting him. He had a history of making these faux pas before, which made the whole incident easier for his employers to deal with, by simply asking him to resign, and getting rid of any potential future problem.

Re: Don Cherry

Turk Sanderson wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:30 pm The guy doing the Columbus feed last night was awful. it was like he opened a brand new can of excitement, every time the Jackets touched the puck, even in their own end.. his sidekick wasn't bad, though.
Jeff Rimer is one of the worst. Really hard to listen to. The colour guy was a fill in for Jody Shelley but I never got his name. I was surprised they’d have a French Canadian guy doing Columbus colour commentary. Anyone get who it was? I’m just assuming it was an ex-Blue Jacket

Beatoni12 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:02 pm
Turk Sanderson wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:30 pm The guy doing the Columbus feed last night was awful. it was like he opened a brand new can of excitement, every time the Jackets touched the puck, even in their own end.. his sidekick wasn't bad, though.
Jeff Rimer is one of the worst. Really hard to listen to. The colour guy was a fill in for Jody Shelley but I never got his name. I was surprised they’d have a French Canadian guy doing Columbus colour commentary. Anyone get who it was? I’m just assuming it was an ex-Blue Jacket
We agree on something ...Rimer is terrible

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:31 pm
Beatoni12 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:02 pm
We agree on something ...Rimer is terrible
I guess a Francophone Canadien doing colour on broadcasts in Columbus wouldn't necessarily be much different from Noel Picard doing it in St. Louis (unless the Columbus guy could barely speak English). :mrgreen:

Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:48 pm McLean opened up HNIC by saying he'd address Don Cherry and the past week in intermission, which is a few minutes away.
What did he say? Did he continue to throw Cherry under the bus? Or did he recognize his fault and make amends? I mean you can say Cherry was wrong but at the same time give him his due for the person he is and the years they did the show together.

BillP. wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:42 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:48 pm McLean opened up HNIC by saying he'd address Don Cherry and the past week in intermission, which is a few minutes away.
What did he say? Did he continue to throw Cherry under the bus? Or did he recognize his fault and make amends? I mean you can say Cherry was wrong but at the same time give him his due for the person he is and the years they did the show together.
You can watch what was said on this tweet and make up your mind for yourself.

BluesSK wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:02 am
Thanks! He still didn’t handle it right. All he had to do was say a few sentences and give Don the respect he deserves for who he is, what he accomplished and what he believes in, controversial or not. My goodness, all he did was talk himself into a pretzel not really saying anything.

BillP. wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:23 am
BluesSK wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:02 am

Thanks! He still didn’t handle it right. All he had to do was say a few sentences and give Don the respect he deserves for who he is, what he accomplished and what he believes in, controversial or not. My goodness, all he did was talk himself into a pretzel not really saying anything.
I feel the same. The whole issues is probably worse now.

Cherry's time has passed. We all know that but if you're a friend and the man has done a lot for MacLean, you need to defend him, not cover your ass.

I still dont see why everyone has their panties in a knot, hes said controversial things about just about everybody and now ,it's not acceptable. They trained the dog but won't take responsibility when metaphorically pisses on the floor.

Going to be hard to find her without being given the opportunity.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:09 am

no...it' not for us to make the call, that's up to the execs that make these decisions and so far they've failed twice. They should have to earn the opportunity That's why I said let them work their way up....let them cover women's hockey...lots of people watch international womens hockey. NHL also is thinking about a new women's pro league. The opportunities are there and they are coming.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Matangama wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:44 am Fuck MacLean......he’s dead to me at this point.
I honestly didn't believe he could fuck it up any more than he already did but he sure as hell did. What a fucking idiot.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:25 am

no...it' not for us to make the call, that's up to the execs that make these decisions and so far they've failed twice. They should have to earn the opportunity That's why I said let them work their way up....let them cover women's hockey...lots of people watch international womens hockey. NHL also is thinking about a new women's pro league. The opportunities are there and they are coming.
So you disagree with Cherry then, that it's not our call to tell women they shouldn't be in broadcasting?

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:40 am

So you disagree with Cherry then, that it's not our call to tell women they shouldn't be in broadcasting?
I don’t think women are ready for NHL play by play at this moment in time. They need to get a handle on the color commentating game first before they get PBP duties. Females like Kathryn Tappen and Jackie Remond do a great job in their roles.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

I agree that there seem to be NO women that are ready to announce in NHL, or major Junior, or Tier 1 US college hockey. But the issue is that Cherry said "Women SHOULDN'T be announcing hockey games!" That implies that they should NEVER announce ANY hockey games. That makes him look like he is prejudiced against women's inherent abilities, OR that he just doesn't want them doing that.

His problem is that he just hasn't learned how to speak in a way that will make clear what he means, and, at the same time not offend people. He's been called on it for many years. So, he's had time to figure out how to do it, but just decided that he doesn't need to. But, as a professional, it's his job to not embarrass his employer, unduly. He has chosen to not care about doing that.

So, if he loses his job over that, I can't feel sorry for him. I was a fan of Don Cherry as a player, and as a coach. I respect him for that. And that doesn't change just because of his flaw of being a little too egocentric to "lower himself" to apologise to those immigrants to which he was NOT speaking (calling out), and thereby clarify what he meant. THAT is what he had a chance to do, and refused to do. And that, ultimately will lead to his being "fired".
I have my own business. If I had an employee embarrassing me to the point of hurting my firm's image, which could potentially lead to less future sales, I would want the right to get rid of him or her.

NHLTIM wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 am

I don’t think women are ready for NHL play by play at this moment in time. They need to get a handle on the color commentating game first before they get PBP duties. Females like Kathryn Tappen and Jackie Remond do a great job in their roles.
So then you disagree with your own statement a few post ago of, "Women shouldn’t be broadcasting hockey...there I said it!"

It sounds like you mean, people that aren't good enough shouldn't be broadcasting hockey.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:52 am
NHLTIM wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 am

So then you disagree with your own statement a few post ago of, "Women shouldn’t be broadcasting hockey...there I said it!"

It sounds like you mean, people that aren't good enough shouldn't be broadcasting hockey.
Women shouldn’t be broadcasting hockey right now...maybe in the future

"Suck a dick Johansen"