Re: Don Cherry

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:08 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 am
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 am

:lol:

Also..you were trying to stick it with your “sorry your world is sad?” Comment/question directed at me.
I have nothing personal against you, Tim. I enjoy your hockey conversation and realize you and I won't agree on most things off the ice that are socially related. I definitely poke you with a stick, usually in a light-hearted manner about Russian hockey players, but never try to make it personal. Thus, my comment when you said "what a sad world we live in"

The Blues won the cup, this world is no longer sad.
It’s all good and yeah....my reaction wasn’t necessary so for that I truly. apologize.
I was hoping you'd say, "I know what I said, and I meant it" in true Don Cherry fashion :lol:
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:09 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 am

I have nothing personal against you, Tim. I enjoy your hockey conversation and realize you and I won't agree on most things off the ice that are socially related. I definitely poke you with a stick, usually in a light-hearted manner about Russian hockey players, but never try to make it personal. Thus, my comment when you said "what a sad world we live in"

The Blues won the cup, this world is no longer sad.
It’s all good and yeah....my reaction wasn’t necessary so for that I truly. apologize.
I was hoping you'd say, "I know what I said, and I meant it" in true Don Cherry fashion :lol:
Nah..I might be a an asshole at times and yes...it’s well known that I like to stir the pot but I’m not that big of an asshole.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:16 am
Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:09 am

Nah..I might be a an asshole at times and yes...it’s well known that I like to stir the pot but I’m not that big of an asshole.
Group hugs :)

I'm ok with passionate POV, and I'm sure most us realize our views of the world are based on experience. Again, I'm not happy Cherry lost his job. I'm sad he didn't use his platform to spread more positive messages about the things he was passionate about, and how at least his coaches corner persona never developed empathy for those with a different POV than he has. That's my opinion and what I believe and will defend that belief, just as others defend their own.

All good, and I think I am done now :)

Peace and love all!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 am no, YOU stop getting offended that others are offended.

See how that works? Not sure why this is still such a heated topic and why the folks who are defending him are acting like little snowflakes, as it is pretty simple:

Man who has the privilege of a public platform on TV goes on frequent political and off-topic rants that are either offensive or nonsensical.
Man gets warnings and chances to apologize.
Man says he said what he said and meant it.
Man gets fired.
/

Get over it.
Who is the snowflake here frustrated that people don't agree with them. Macy's could decorate Santa's village with you.

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:30 pm The captain did not go down with his ship

I know some are saying they're not going to watch, but I have to imagine HNIC's first intermission ratings are going to go through the roof tomorrow if for no other reason than the lack of news about what they're going to do with that time slot. They still might not even be 100% sure themselves.
Last edited by Dave's a mess on Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:29 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 am no, YOU stop getting offended that others are offended.

See how that works? Not sure why this is still such a heated topic and why the folks who are defending him are acting like little snowflakes, as it is pretty simple:

Man who has the privilege of a public platform on TV goes on frequent political and off-topic rants that are either offensive or nonsensical.
Man gets fired.
/

Get over it.
Who is the snowflake here frustrated that people don't agree with them. Macy's could decorate Santa's village with you.
:lol: sorry to have hurt your feelings snowman :lol:
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Man gets fired.
/

Get over it.
Ok, boomer.

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 pm
bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 pm

Ok, boomer.
:lol: boomer :lol: that's the first time I've been confused with one of those people... ;)
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:51 pm
BluesSK wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:18 pm I suggest we prank future generations of Blues News Forum by search and replacing every instance of "Cherry" in this thread with "Cheadle".
Lol don’t fool yourself, this board dies with us.
are you kidding?!?! I've already included multiple usernames and login details in my will for my daughters to take over upon my death. They will not let this great institution die!
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Re: News and Games around the NHL

NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 pm What a sad world we live in. What he said is not even remotely offensive.
Yes it WAS offensive, because he singled out immigrants for not honouring our Canadian soldiers who died in defence of our country. If he had called out "Canadians who don't wear poppies", or Canadians who don't honour our military personnel" that would have been fine. He singled out immigrants, making it seem like he thinks only immigrants don't appreciate what our soldiers and medics do for us.

He just made a mistake in wording. But, he grew up during a time when a lot of people thought that way, many not even thinking about what they were saying.

I'm almost as old as he is. But I wouldn't have made that mistake. Maybe Don did know any immigrants when he was growing up. I grew up in the 1940s and 1950s in Manitoba, and we had tonnes of immigrants. Most of them were overjoyed to be living in such a wonderful country. It seemed to me most of them were more patriotic towards Canada than most of the over 5 generation Canadians I knew. I guess it takes all kinds, eh?

I followed Don's career. I liked him as a tough, hard-nosed defenceman (mostly in The AHL). He was a good coach too. It's a shame that he made that mistake, and lost his job. But, I was surprised he didn't lose it a while back, for saying that "women shouldn't be broadcasting hockey". Well, he's out of official North American organised hockey directly-related jobs. But, he can still write a column about The NHL, AHL, or Canadian Major Junior Hockey if he wants to.

Robb_K wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:33 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 pm What a sad world we live in. What he said is not even remotely offensive.
Yes it WAS offensive, because he singled out immigrants for not honouring our Canadian soldiers who died in defence of our country. If he had called out "Canadians who don't wear poppies", or Canadians who don't honour our military personnel" that would have been fine. He singled out immigrants, making it seem like he thinks only immigrants don't appreciate what our soldiers and medics do for us.

He just made a mistake in wording. But, he grew up during a time when a lot of people thought that way, many not even thinking about what they were saying.

I'm almost as old as he is. But I wouldn't have made that mistake. Maybe Don did know any immigrants when he was growing up. I grew up in the 1940s and 1950s in Manitoba, and we had tonnes of immigrants. Most of them were overjoyed to be living in such a wonderful country. It seemed to me most of them were more patriotic towards Canada than most of the over 5 generation Canadians I knew. I guess it takes all kinds, eh?

I followed Don's career. I liked him as a tough, hard-nosed defenceman (mostly in The AHL). He was a good coach too. It's a shame that he made that mistake, and lost his job. But, I was surprised he didn't lose it a while back, for saying that "women shouldn't be broadcasting hockey". Well, he's out of official North American organised hockey directly-related jobs. But, he can still write a column about The NHL, AHL, or Canadian Major Junior Hockey if he wants to.
Women shouldn’t be broadcasting hockey...there I said it! Didn’t we all learn this during last years playoffs? Guess I should be fired.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 am

Women shouldn’t be broadcasting hockey...there I said it! Didn’t we all learn this during last years playoffs? Guess I should be fired.
I don't have a problem with women in broadcasting. I wish would could disagree on more things and not have to draw lines in the sand and take a guy out for a stupid opinion. Everyone has stupid opinions and everyone has said something stupid at an inappropriate moment.

NHLTIM wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 am

Weird logic. I can’t stand many male broadcasters, doesn’t mean men shouldn’t broadcast hockey.
Just a Russian propaganda account