Re: Don Cherry

The world is what it is. It is 2019. If Cherry wanted to keep his job he should have found a better way to get his point across.

HR tells me if I grab the secretary's ass one more time I'm fired. So...

Maybe Cherry wanted out? And chose this way to go out in a blaze of glory?

Whatever, never liked the guy much. He's basically a clown.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:16 pm
Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:51 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 pm Nazem Kadri showing support for Don Cherry. Bobby Orr is pissed too
Good to see the hockey community sticking up for Cherry

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/kad ... usv3_clean
The problem with Kadri saying "I don't think he meant it the way people are taking it" is that Cherry has said himself that he meant it exactly the way people are taking it. Orr is just sticking up for his old coach.
They are showing support, that’s all that matters. Boomer said today “we live in a cancel culture and it’s just wrong”
Don Cherry built the most famous TV segment in Canadian history based entirely on his own charisma and insight. That accomplishment can never be taken away from him. He earned it. However when you start transparently implying that an entire segment of the population are inferior Canadians, that TV segment can be taken away from you. He did a lot for the game of hockey in Canada, no doubt, but that doesn't mean he should still be on TV.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 pm Nazem Kadri showing support for Don Cherry. Bobby Orr is pissed too
Good to see the hockey community sticking up for Cherry

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/kad ... usv3_clean
The problem with Kadri saying "I don't think he meant it the way people are taking it" is that Cherry has said himself that he meant it exactly the way people are taking it. Orr is just sticking up for his old coach.
They are showing support, that’s all that matters. Boomer said today “we live in a cancel culture and it’s just wrong”
to a point, and the irony is that so many 'supporters of the Poppy and veterans' in Canada are now threatening that they will be cancelling membership to the Legion, the charity behind the popppy, because they 'threw Cherry under the bus too'. It goes both ways. Add just as a few have shown support for Cherry, there have been many other in the hockey world who have said it was time for Cherry to be done.

We have to remember though; Cherry wasn't fired for what he said Saturday night. He was fired for what he said Saturday night along with many other things over the years that has shown his true feeling, along with the fact that he basically used his Coaches corner as a platform to to spout off on whatever was pissing him off. His rants over the years is what cost him his job, not 'cancel culture'. As to Cherry the man, I've said before a person can have a passion for good causes and be popular, but if they are bigoted or share POV on a public platform that demean groups of people constantly, they no longer should have the privilege of a public platform, IMO. I don't think Cherry is the devil or Stalin or Hitler or even Trump or a bad guy. But his time had passed him by and his fear of change and people/culture that isn't 'pure Canadian' did him in on the public setting. I'm not 'happy' he is gone, I'm sad because he could have used the power of his persona and platform to do so much more good by being positive and educational, instead of hostile and demeaning.

Just picture this; Sportsnet does a video production of Don Cherry walking downtown Toronto, and when he sees someone without a poppy, he is offering them one along with information about WHY the poppy symbolizes remembrance of Canadian veterans. Wouldn't that have been a more powerful message that could have actually changed some minds about the importance of the poppy instead of yelling at 'those people' for cancelling his perceptions of the perfect Canadian culture? Pont being there are good way to use your public platform, and negative ways. And Cherry unfortunately seemed to take the negative approach towards things he didn't like, instead of educating himself about why others do what they do, and others about why he feels the way he does. Just like we all have varying opinion on Cherry right here, yet no one is yelling or being hostile towards each other. We are trying to understand each others POV and while we may not ever agree, I think we have shown you can disagree without being dicks to each other and demeaning others who don't have a similar mindset. If Cherry would have taking that mindset in his life, he would have a job still, and would have been an even greater positive influence on even more who love hockey, or who wanted to love hockey but felt they couldn't because they weren't 'Canadian enough'.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

T.C. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 am
BlueinNy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 am
I respectfully disagree, nothing he said was bigoted, if they come to a country because it's a better place then pay respect to the men and women who made it a place you wanted to relocate to.
I respect your respect. It is something that is sorely missing in this world. Just because you happen to disagree with someone doesn't mean you can't exchange opinions. Let's bring it home with :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Thank you!!
that's weird, because your previous comment seems to say that if you don't agree with something someone said, they should be fired.
There is a big difference between people exchanging opinions with each other on a message board or in person and broadcasting them over the airwaves on what really should be a non political program. Don Cherry frequently represented controversial opinions and I think this was probably a "last straw" situation.

As you mentioned in your edit, it would not have been an issue if he were criticizing people in general from not supporting the troops, though I have to question what place this has in a hockey program. It was the fact that his issue seemed to be with immigrants. I am also not Canadian, but it seems much like the nonsense we went through with politicians having to wear flag pins after 9/11 in order to qualify as "patriotic".

The point of my comment was that it was nice that two people having opposing opinions could "respectfully" disagree with each other, something that seems completely lost in our society. My opinion is my opinion and just that. I just hate the fact that in today's society a reasonable discussion can not usually be held without in devolving into name calling and insults. I am speaking in general, not specifically about you.

Having worked in the media that there are guidelines to expressing personal opinions and you have to understand what they are. Perhaps because he had been given such a long leash for such a long time,he didn't understand those guidelines. The fact is that those guidelines change with the whim's of society. Being on television is a privilege not a right and at the end of the day you are responsible to your bosses.

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:53 pm

to a point, and the irony is that so many 'supporters of the Poppy and veterans' in Canada are now threatening that they will be cancelling membership to the Legion, the charity behind the popppy, because they 'threw Cherry under the bus too'. It goes both ways. Add just as a few have shown support for Cherry, there have been many other in the hockey world who have said it was time for Cherry to be done.

We have to remember though; Cherry wasn't fired for what he said Saturday night. He was fired for what he said Saturday night along with many other things over the years that has shown his true feeling, along with the fact that he basically used his Coaches corner as a platform to to spout off on whatever was pissing him off. His rants over the years is what cost him his job, not 'cancel culture'. As to Cherry the man, I've said before a person can have a passion for good causes and be popular, but if they are bigoted or share POV on a public platform that demean groups of people constantly, they no longer should have the privilege of a public platform, IMO. I don't think Cherry is the devil or Stalin or Hitler or even Trump or a bad guy. But his time had passed him by and his fear of change and people/culture that isn't 'pure Canadian' did him in on the public setting. I'm not 'happy' he is gone, I'm sad because he could have used the power of his persona and platform to do so much more good by being positive and educational, instead of hostile and demeaning.

Just picture this; Sportsnet does a video production of Don Cherry walking downtown Toronto, and when he sees someone without a poppy, he is offering them one along with information about WHY the poppy symbolizes remembrance of Canadian veterans. Wouldn't that have been a more powerful message that could have actually changed some minds about the importance of the poppy instead of yelling at 'those people' for cancelling his perceptions of the perfect Canadian culture? Pont being there are good way to use your public platform, and negative ways. And Cherry unfortunately seemed to take the negative approach towards things he didn't like, instead of educating himself about why others do what they do, and others about why he feels the way he does. Just like we all have varying opinion on Cherry right here, yet no one is yelling or being hostile towards each other. We are trying to understand each others POV and while we may not ever agree, I think we have shown you can disagree without being dicks to each other and demeaning others who don't have a similar mindset. If Cherry would have taking that mindset in his life, he would have a job still, and would have been an even greater positive influence on even more who love hockey, or who wanted to love hockey but felt they couldn't because they weren't 'Canadian enough'.
He wasn’t fired for anything he said last week or anything he’s ever said. He was fired because they didn’t want to pay his salary anymore. Sportsnet just took advantage of the opportunity in front of them.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:53 pm We have to remember though; Cherry wasn't fired for what he said Saturday night. He was fired for what he said Saturday night along with many other things over the years...
no, he wasn't. he still had a job. but that's the exact mentality of this cancel culture - you can and should be fired for things you said or did decades ago. that's like lowering the speed limit on a road and mailing tickets to everyone that exceeded that new number last week.

also, while i did think that rogers was probably done with him, afraid of the ticking bomb in today's culture, and used this opportunity to get rid of him, it seems they did talk to him after the broadcast and give him the opportunity to explain himself or offer to apologize. he doubled down. so they had "no choice" - although, like i said previously, of course they had a choice. they just didn't have the sack to make the other one. firing him was easier and better optics for them. i'm sure, like everyone else, he'll start a podcast of his own and get plenty of viewers, probably a broader audience than he got only in canada anyway.

Rivermanfan wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 pm
T.C. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 am

I respect your respect. It is something that is sorely missing in this world. Just because you happen to disagree with someone doesn't mean you can't exchange opinions. Let's bring it home with :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Thank you!!
that's weird, because your previous comment seems to say that if you don't agree with something someone said, they should be fired.
There is a big difference between people exchanging opinions with each other on a message board or in person and broadcasting them over the airwaves on what really should be a non political program. Don Cherry frequently represented controversial opinions and I think this was probably a "last straw" situation.

As you mentioned in your edit, it would not have been an issue if he were criticizing people in general from not supporting the troops, though I have to question what place this has in a hockey program. It was the fact that his issue seemed to be with immigrants. I am also not Canadian, but it seems much like the nonsense we went through with politicians having to wear flag pins after 9/11 in order to qualify as "patriotic".

The point of my comment was that it was nice that two people having opposing opinions could "respectfully" disagree with each other, something that seems completely lost in our society. My opinion is my opinion and just that. I just hate the fact that in today's society a reasonable discussion can not usually be held without in devolving into name calling and insults. I am speaking in general, not specifically about you.

Having worked in the media that there are guidelines to expressing personal opinions and you have to understand what they are. Perhaps because he had been given such a long leash for such a long time,he didn't understand those guidelines. The fact is that those guidelines change with the whim's of society. Being on television is a privilege not a right and at the end of the day you are responsible to your bosses.
i get it. just not really the way it read to me. thanks for explaining.

I keep hearing this Don Cherry was guilty for past transgressions...and that has to be the weakest shit I have ever heard. You really have to bend over and stretch your ass cheeks out like a peacock to get offended by the stuff he said...and its a god damn old man for christs sake...stop acting like a fucking snow princess (everyone who is offended).

Now we have Jill Allen who goes on TV and generalizes about a whole group of people...and doesn't fucking get the irony about her gripes with Don Cherry.

no, YOU stop getting offended that others are offended.

See how that works? Not sure why this is still such a heated topic and why the folks who are defending him are acting like little snowflakes, as it is pretty simple:

Man who has the privilege of a public platform on TV goes on frequent political and off-topic rants that are either offensive or nonsensical.
Man gets warnings and chances to apologize.
Man says he said what he said and meant it.
Man gets fired.
/

Get over it.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

CaptSMRT wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:19 am I keep hearing this Don Cherry was guilty for past transgressions...and that has to be the weakest shit I have ever heard. You really have to bend over and stretch your ass cheeks out like a peacock to get offended by the stuff he said...and its a god damn old man for christs sake...stop acting like a fucking snow princess (everyone who is offended).

Now we have Jill Allen who goes on TV and generalizes about a whole group of people...and doesn't fucking get the irony about her gripes with Don Cherry.

They did that solely for ratings. Like they really care one way or another. Cherry was easy pickings for those vultures.

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 am no, YOU stop getting offended that others are offended.

See how that works? Not sure why this is still such a heated topic and why the folks who are defending him are acting like little snowflakes, as it is pretty simple:

Man who has the privilege of a public platform on TV goes on frequent political and off-topic rants that are either offensive or nonsensical.
Man gets fired.
/

Get over it.
I’m not offended at all. I just get tired of all this political correctness. Calling for peoples heads and taking away their lively hood away just because somebody had an agenda. All these SMJW sitting behind their keyboards just waiting for something so they can get their pitchforks ready.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Hey you people!

Don Cherry may be a xenophobic bigot but aren't we all sometimes? How many times have we talked about the "Russian factor" or "soft Swedes"? Hell, the Sedins were known forever as the "sisters". Or did we forget? Or is this a new era? I'm not gonna throw any more stones at the old man for his opinion.

I will however defend him against those calling him a racist. I have watched him for probably 30 years and I have never seen him say anything disparaging against a person because of the color of their skin. He loved Stan Jonathan who is full blooded Indian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Jonathan

He supported Nazem Kadri when Leaf fans were swearing against the guy and he is a huge Ryan Reaves fan.

Let's just be careful in how we judge people because the mirror reflects back at us too.

He lost his head trying to do what in his mind he thought was right and he paid the price. End of story.

BluesSK wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 am Hey you people!

Don Cherry may be a xenophobic bigot but aren't we all sometimes? How many times have we talked about the "Russian factor" or "soft Swedes"? Hell, the Sedins were known forever as the "sisters". Or did we forget? Or is this a new era? I'm not gonna throw any more stones at the old man for his opinion.

I will however defend him against those calling him a racist. I have watched him for probably 30 years and I have never seen him say anything disparaging against a person because of the color of their skin. He loved Stan Jonathan who is full blooded Indian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Jonathan

He supported Nazem Kadri when Leaf fans were swearing against the guy and he is a huge Ryan Reaves fan.

Let's just be careful in how we judge people because the mirror reflects back at us too.

He lost his head trying to do what in his mind he thought was right and he paid the price. End of story.
Yep his support of Kadri was amazing. It seemed like every week he was ripping on Leafs management in regards to how they handled him....he was relentless and he was right.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:49 am
bradleygt89 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:53 pm

He wasn’t fired for anything he said last week or anything he’s ever said. He was fired because they didn’t want to pay his salary anymore. Sportsnet just took advantage of the opportunity in front of them.
I don't know the answer to this, but did they actually stop paying him? I'd almost think he's still getting paid out for the rest of the season. I absolutely don't doubt that at the end of the day the ultimate decision to fire him was based more on money than morals, but I'd think it's the sponsor dollars that were the bigger issue, not Cherry's salary. Having said that, I haven't seen it listed one way or the other. Regardless, his salary will certainly be off the books next year.

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 am no, YOU stop getting offended that others are offended.

See how that works? Not sure why this is still such a heated topic and why the folks who are defending him are acting like little snowflakes, as it is pretty simple: You are the only one calling people names on this thread...

Other than the words "you people" I don't see a lot that was offensive, and you shouldn't be fired for saying something nonsensical.
Man gets fired.
I believe he got fired immediately, without warnings.
/

Get over it.
So you basically want everyone who disagrees to shut up and agree with your point of view without discussion. Got it.
Sorry Brad, but I just really don't see any of this the same way you do. And not because I am offended that you are offended. I just see it differently. See my comments above.
KA-KAW!

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:25 am

Man gets fired.
/

Get over it.
I’m not offended at all. I just get tired of all this political correctness. Calling for peoples heads and taking away their lively hood away just because somebody had an agenda. All these SMJW sitting behind their keyboards just waiting for something so they can get their pitchforks ready.
It's not 'political correctness'...that is such a lame excuse. It's about realizing that just because others may have different backgrounds, culture, ethnicity, nationalities, etc we are all human, and all part of this world we call Earth and 99% of us want the same thing in life: life, liberty, security, education for our children, and the pursuit of happiness. If someone looks at people only through the lens of what makes them 'different', then they will lose out on so many great things offered in this world.

Also, as to the 'smjw sitting behind their keyboards'....isn't that what we do on this forum to the various athletes, coaches, management that we discuss. How many times have we had a 'fire Hitch' 'trade Brewer' DA should be fired' threads. That's what fans do. We complain about things we don't like. And as long as it is about performance or perceived imperfections in their game, that's OK. But if we said 'trade xyz because they are a different ethnicity or an immigrant' that's different. And that's what Cherry did. He singled out a group of people, immigrants, as not being Canadian enough because supposedly they don't wear poppies. That's not about being politically correct. That's being an ignorant bigot, and if anyone said something similar on here, I'm sure most would be like WTF.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

bradleygt89 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:36 am
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:25 am

Man gets fired.
/

Get over it.
It's not 'political correctness'...that is such a lame excuse. It's about realizing that just because others may have different backgrounds, culture, ethnicity, nationalities, etc we are all human, and all part of this world we call Earth and 99% of us want the same thing in life: life, liberty, security, education for our children, and the pursuit of happiness. If someone looks at people only through the lens of what makes them 'different', then they will lose out on so many great things offered in this world.

Also, as to the 'smjw sitting behind their keyboards'....isn't that what we do on this forum to the various athletes, coaches, management that we discuss. How many times have we had a 'fire Hitch' 'trade Brewer' DA should be fired' threads. That's what fans do. We complain about things we don't like. And as long as it is about performance or perceived imperfections in their game, that's OK. But if we said 'trade xyz because they are a different ethnicity or an immigrant' that's different. And that's what Cherry did. He singled out a group of people, immigrants, as not being Canadian enough because supposedly they don't wear poppies. That's not about being politically correct. That's being an ignorant bigot, and if anyone said something similar on here, I'm sure most would be like WTF.
We are not SMJW on a hockey forum. We aren’t really trying to get anybody traded or fired. We just post our opinions for discussion. That’s the difference .
People shouldn’t lose their jobs because they have different beliefs or they are are set in their ways on a particular subject just because of public outcry. I just don’t agree with that at all. That goes both ways too..I don’t ever want anybody to lose their job in reality...
It’s ok though we can agree to disagree, nothing wrong with that. As for Don Cherry...he’s 85 and has more money then he can spend if he lived another 85 years ...he’s going to be ok and hopefully for me and others who appreciate him will be able to hear him again somewhere.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

By the way everyone, high-5s all the round for getting almost 100 posts deep on this hot button topic and still conversing like adults (or at least as close as we ever get to conversing like adults on this forum).

Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 am By the way everyone, high-5s all the round for getting almost 100 posts deep on this hot button topic and still conversing like adults (or at least as close as we ever get to conversing like adults on this forum).
Almost everyone. Some people took the news harder than Don Cherry himself. For reals homie.
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 pm The fact that the man got fired for asking his countrymen to support the military is what makes it sad...even sadder that you can't see that. With that said....I don't support flag burners and military haters....so fuck off. I'm done with you FOR REALS HOMIE..
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:42 am
Dave's a mess wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 am By the way everyone, high-5s all the round for getting almost 100 posts deep on this hot button topic and still conversing like adults (or at least as close as we ever get to conversing like adults on this forum).
Almost everyone. Some people took the news harder than Don Cherry himself. For reals homie.
NHLTIM wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:40 pm The fact that the man got fired for asking his countrymen to support the military is what makes it sad...even sadder that you can't see that. With that said....I don't support flag burners and military haters....so fuck off. I'm done with you FOR REALS HOMIE..
:lol:

Also..you were trying to stick it with your “sorry your world is sad?” Comment/question directed at me.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 am

Also..you were trying to stick it with your “sorry your world is sad?” Comment/question directed at me.
I have nothing personal against you, Tim. I enjoy your hockey conversation and realize you and I won't agree on most things off the ice that are socially related. I definitely poke you with a stick, usually in a light-hearted manner about Russian hockey players, but never try to make it personal. Thus, my comment when you said "what a sad world we live in"

The Blues won the cup, this world is no longer sad.
Just a Russian propaganda account

Dread_Pirate_Westley wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:01 am
NHLTIM wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 am

I have nothing personal against you, Tim. I enjoy your hockey conversation and realize you and I won't agree on most things off the ice that are socially related. I definitely poke you with a stick, usually in a light-hearted manner about Russian hockey players, but never try to make it personal. Thus, my comment when you said "what a sad world we live in"

The Blues won the cup, this world is no longer sad.
It’s all good and yeah....my reaction wasn’t necessary so for that I truly. apologize.

"Suck a dick Johansen"