Re: Don Cherry

barnburner wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:38 am As a veteran, I very much appreciate those who advocate respecting the service of those who served their country. That said, from my point of view, we should keep in mind that our service is in great part about freedom of choice.
It's a great thing for immigrants in Canada to buy and wear poppies to honor the service of the veterans, but it should not be a litmus test of their right to live there.
As an American vet, I will always stand for the flag. While I regret that some choose not to, that is their choice.
I hate that some people choose to burn the flag, but again, our service as vets, gives them that right.
Keep this in mind. A lot of people talk about fighting for the flag in combat. When you get down to brass tacks, in combat, nobody is thinking about the flag. You fight for the survival of the guy next to you. Patriotism is a wonderful thing, but like anything else, should not be used to take away the rights of people who don't share your particular beliefs.
Jmo, of course.
Well stated Barnburner. As a fellow vet I agree with your articulate thoughts on this subject.

Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:54 am
BlueinNy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 am
Rivermanfan wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:31 am Fired for bigoted remarks. Good riddance.
I respectfully disagree, nothing he said was bigoted, if they come to a country because it's a better place then pay respect to the men and women who made it a place you wanted to relocate to.
I respect your respect. It is something that is sorely missing in this world. Just because you happen to disagree with someone doesn't mean you can't exchange opinions. Let's bring it home with :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Thank you!!
that's weird, because your previous comment seems to say that if you don't agree with something someone said, they should be fired.

firing someone who has brought decades of revenue to the company because of a couple sentences that were clearly only his opinion (not that of the company) is pure chicken shit, and the way of the world today. ridiculous. if people don't like what he said, they are very free to change the channel and not watch, make the company see the impact in that way. my prediction is that there may have been a very slight dip in viewership that would have been very temporary and by next week no one would remember/care when the next thing to be outraged about happened, but we will never know.

for me personally, from the clip i saw, i don't really understand why what he said is offensive to someone. seemed to me he has very strong opinions on how people should honor veterans. granted, i am not canadian so i may not fully understand. but i do know that he has said far more obviously vile, terrible things over the decades and retained his job. companies feel no sense of loyalty to someone that served them well for a long time anymore. throw you to the wolves to get some "atta boy" press, co-opting the current uber-PC mindset via an unwilling, unknowing sacrificial lamb. no thought even given to maybe, say, pulling someone out of their daily job temporarily for some kind of sensitivity training, an opportunity to explain themselves, nothing. just, gone. i've seen it happen so many times in the last 5-10 years, and it's extremely distasteful and infuriating. i'm not a HNIC/cherry guy, so i don't know if maybe they've tried this with him before, given his record of saying pretty terrible things, and were just "done" with him in this specific case. even in the best-case scenario here though, what is don cherry going to learn from this? has firing him improved his mindset? not that one employee's thought process should be a company's responsibility, but should the company maybe have had the back of their employee and invested some small amount of money into trying to educate him and given him the opportunity to learn/grown/recant? he's certainly earned them plenty over the years. again, i don't own a company so i don't really know the pressure companies face in this regard, but i do know that the way these companies hand programming control to advertisers is the most orwellian state i can imagine.

again, i'm not canadian, i don't watch don cherry's program regularly, never have, so i don't really have strong feelings about him, the show, or what he said either way. but the immediate knee-jerk firing of someone because of things they said is what gets me, which is universal.

EDIT: saw the comments on the "news" thread (moved them all here just now), and after watching the mckenzie explanation, i understand better. it was the "you people" intro that killed him. if he had said "canadians" or whatever instead, it seems people wouldn't have had a problem. i get that, as starting any thought with "you people" truly never ends well. it also shows that if he thought "you people" would be ok, what he actually thinks and says off-camera is probably way more ugly. all that being said, my comments about cancel culture stand.

T.C. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am
BlueinNy wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:32 am
I respectfully disagree, nothing he said was bigoted, if they come to a country because it's a better place then pay respect to the men and women who made it a place you wanted to relocate to.
I respect your respect. It is something that is sorely missing in this world. Just because you happen to disagree with someone doesn't mean you can't exchange opinions. Let's bring it home with :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Thank you!!
that's weird, because your previous comment seems to say that if you don't agree with something someone said, they should be fired.

firing someone who has brought decades of revenue to the company because of a couple sentences that were clearly only his opinion (not that of the company) is pure chicken shit, and the way of the world today. ridiculous. if people don't like what he said, they are very free to change the channel and not watch, make the company see the impact in that way. my prediction is that there may have been a very slight dip in viewership that would have been very temporary and by next week no one would remember/care when the next thing to be outraged about happened, but we will never know.

for me personally, from the clip i saw, i don't really understand why what he said is offensive to someone. seemed to me he has very strong opinions on how people should honor veterans. granted, i am not canadian so i may not fully understand. but i do know that he has said far more obviously vile, terrible things over the decades and retained his job. companies feel no sense of loyalty to someone that served them well for a long time anymore. throw you to the wolves to get some "atta boy" press, co-opting the current uber-PC mindset via an unwilling, unknowing sacrificial lamb. no thought even given to maybe, say, pulling someone out of their daily job temporarily for some kind of sensitivity training, an opportunity to explain themselves, nothing. just, gone. i've seen it happen so many times in the last 5-10 years, and it's extremely distasteful and infuriating. i'm not a HNIC/cherry guy, so i don't know if maybe they've tried this with him before, given his record of saying pretty terrible things, and were just "done" with him in this specific case. even in the best-case scenario here though, what is don cherry going to learn from this? has firing him improved his mindset? not that one employee's thought process should be a company's responsibility, but should the company maybe have had the back of their employee and invested some small amount of money into trying to educate him and given him the opportunity to learn/grown/recant? he's certainly earned them plenty over the years. again, i don't own a company so i don't really know the pressure companies face in this regard, but i do know that the way these companies hand programming control to advertisers is the most orwellian state i can imagine.

again, i'm not canadian, i don't watch don cherry's program regularly, never have, so i don't really have strong feelings about him, the show, or what he said either way. but the immediate knee-jerk firing of someone because of things they said is what gets me, which is universal.
I think you make some really good points here. I don't have an opinion either way on what he actually said. The thing I don't understand is WHY he said them. Nothing good was going to come from it. That being said, I really don't understand what people think is "bigoted" about his comments. Here is the dictionary definition of bigoted:
Definition of bigot. : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.
I don't see that in his comments.
To me, it's one thing to think he comments are bigoted, and another to just think they were dumb and disagree. So it just feels to me like he got fired for saying a dumb/ill-advised opinion just because it had something to do with immigrants. If I was in broadcasting or in the public arena, the last thing I would bring up is immigrants and/or minorities if I felt like keeping my job. Which is kind of sad when you think about it....
KA-KAW!

Making one mistake in your speaking doesn’t make one a bigot imo. But Don Cherry is a self proclaimed ”nationalist” and as made comments previously about immigrants and non white Canadians.

Btw, a person can be a ‘good guy/gal’ and support worthy causes and still have a bigoted or racist POV and heart.
"Do Only Good Everyday"

MattyIce wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:22 am
T.C. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am

Thank you!!

I think you make some really good points here. I don't have an opinion either way on what he actually said. The thing I don't understand is WHY he said them. Nothing good was going to come from it. That being said, I really don't understand what people think is "bigoted" about his comments. Here is the dictionary definition of bigoted:
Definition of bigot. : a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.
I don't see that in his comments.
To me, it's one thing to think he comments are bigoted, and another to just think they were dumb and disagree. So it just feels to me like he got fired for saying a dumb/ill-advised opinion just because it had something to do with immigrants. If I was in broadcasting or in the public arena, the last thing I would bring up is immigrants and/or minorities if I felt like keeping my job. Which is kind of sad when you think about it....
He said it the way he did because he’s 85 years old he doesn’t have the current mind set that everybody thinks he should have. He wasn’t intentionally trying to offend anybody...that’s just Don Cherry. His broadcast partner is the bigger issue here if you ask me. I lost a lot of respect for Ron the other day.
Official "Bitch Ass" Fan and proud of it"

"Suck a dick Johansen"

"Official Sponsor of the Legend....Jeremy Roenick"

Maybe Sportsnet would have fired him anyway, maybe not, but it absolutely should not be overlooked that they heard from pissed off sponsors almost immediately, including Budweiser Canada which owns Labatt's.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:29 am
He said it the way he did because he’s 85 years old he doesn’t have the current mind set that everybody thinks he should have. He wasn’t intentionally trying to offend anybody...that’s just Don Cherry. His broadcast partner is the bigger issue here if you ask me. I lost a lot of respect for Ron the other day.
His age is a very valid point. I know lots of very nice people around that age that likely agree with Don and don’t like the fact that immigrants come to Canada and don’t act just like everyone else. Don Cherry should have been fired years ago because the game passed him by and he no longer can provide an relevant commentary. I don’t hate the guy because of what he said, because I understand it’s an age issue and he simply can’t understand that what he said is wrong. Doesn’t change the fact you can’t give someone who says stuff like that a platform to spew it. The idea people are making Don into a victim is the funny part.

As for MacLean, his mistake here is not correcting the mistake as it happened. He’s saved Don’s bacon countless times over the years and doesn’t owe him anything, and especially doesn’t owe him to pretend what he said wasn’t wrong.

"You people" isn't enough for me to fire a guy like Don Cherry, and certainly not with the vitriol which has been on display. I think a lot of what he says is insane...but that is okay. Fuck all of these people looking for a scalp...because that is all this is.

Yep..he was fired because they wanted to get rid of him. He wasn’t fired because of this incident. They just wanted him gone

"Suck a dick Johansen"

CaptSMRT wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:59 pm
"You people" isn't enough for me to fire a guy like Don Cherry, and certainly not with the vitriol which has been on display. I think a lot of what he says is insane...but that is okay. Fuck all of these people looking for a scalp...because that is all this is.
He says “you people” all the time. He says it to NHL players, that’s just how he talks. I saw the video of it last night for the first time and I’m even more floored this was made out to be a big deal.

BillP. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:28 pm
He says “you people” all the time. He says it to NHL players, that’s just how he talks. I saw the video of it last night for the first time and I’m even more floored this was made out to be a big deal.
hockey players as a group aren’t subject to discrimination, prejudice, and hostility. Immigrants and minorities have been. Not being a smart ass, but you do see the difference?
"Do Only Good Everyday"

Once I find a pic of Trump pinning the medal around Cherry’s neck that will be my new profile and signature pic. :lol:

"Suck a dick Johansen"

It’s not “you people”, it’s “you people who come here” that is the issue. It’s singling out a group of people that already experiences discrimination and berates them for not doing something that tonnes of Canadians don’t do.

They didn’t fire him just because of this comment, they fired him because of years of comments similar in nature to this one. They definitely wanted to get rid of him, and this made it easy.

Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm
It’s not “you people”, it’s “you people who come here” that is the issue. It’s singling out a group of people that already experiences discrimination and berates them for not doing something that tonnes of Canadians don’t do.

They didn’t fire him just because of this comment, they fired him because of years of comments similar in nature to this one. They definitely wanted to get rid of him, and this made it easy.
It's also a bit hypocritical on their part because those execs don't really give a shit what he said.....they get to hide behind it and use it as their excuse to appease all those who called for his head. Firing Don Cherry on Remembrance day....that's a personal agenda from somewhere in the chain. Most likely some butthurt mid 30's studio exec.

"Suck a dick Johansen"

Was about to point this out as well. It's a bit obtuse to act like he could've been just talking about anybody and everyone. It was directed at a specific group of people.

I find it funny that a majority of people siding with Don Cherry(on the internet, not specifically to this board) are the same people that scream "Keep politics out of sports!"
Just a Russian propaganda account

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:09 pm

It's also a bit hypocritical on their part because those execs don't really give a shit what he said.....they get to hide behind it and use it as their excuse to appease all those who called for his head. Firing Don Cherry on Remembrance day....that's a personal agenda from somewhere in the chain. Most likely some butthurt mid 30's studio exec.
I don’t think it’s hypocritical. It’s convenient for them, but not hypocritical.

I think it’s mostly due to sponsors making the final call, moreso than the executive doing it on their own.

As for the Remembrance Day part, he gave them no choice. They gave him the option to apologize on Sunday, when he chose not to, they had no choice but to fire him. Waiting another day would just hurt Sportsnet and drag the story out that much longer.

Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm

I don’t think it’s hypocritical. It’s convenient for them, but not hypocritical.

I think it’s mostly due to sponsors making the final call, moreso than the executive doing it on their own.

As for the Remembrance Day part, he gave them no choice. They gave him the option to apologize on Sunday, when he chose not to, they had no choice but to fire him. Waiting another day would just hurt Sportsnet and drag the story out that much longer.
As usual Trevor we will just have to agree to disagree

"Suck a dick Johansen"

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 pm
Beatoni12 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:14 pm

As usual Trevor we will just have to agree to disagree
Be so much easier over beer!!

NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Once I find a pic of Trump pinning the medal around Cherry’s neck that will be my new profile and signature pic. :lol:
Good one :lol:

BillP. wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:54 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:56 pm

Good one :lol:
That would be a good enough reason to fire him for me.

NHLTIM wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 pm Nazem Kadri showing support for Don Cherry. Bobby Orr is pissed too
Good to see the hockey community sticking up for Cherry

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/kad ... usv3_clean
The problem with Kadri saying "I don't think he meant it the way people are taking it" is that Cherry has said himself that he meant it exactly the way people are taking it. Orr is just sticking up for his old coach.
...but whatever, the Blues won the Cup!!!!!

Dave's a mess wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:51 pm
NHLTIM wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:20 pm Nazem Kadri showing support for Don Cherry. Bobby Orr is pissed too
Good to see the hockey community sticking up for Cherry

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/kad ... usv3_clean
The problem with Kadri saying "I don't think he meant it the way people are taking it" is that Cherry has said himself that he meant it exactly the way people are taking it. Orr is just sticking up for his old coach.
They are showing support, that’s all that matters. Boomer said today “we live in a cancel culture and it’s just wrong”

"Suck a dick Johansen"